SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6157 - 09/06/03 12:17 PM What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shut up -tek you know Im just kidding! lol(before I get the routine razzing by our board warrior.) Besides, I know your answer is probably the SH-5 under external VCO control. wuz I close?
IM CURIOUS...
What are each of the board member's primary electronic instruments these days? Also, what soft seq do all use these days? Are their any mentions of the newer SX vs VST? Does Uncle Dave (or anyone) have any feedback regarding the newer Ion and the new ES version of Yahmee Motif?
What is the general opinion about external remote control software for synths. I think it would be nice to have at least SOME standard made so that several different brand synths individual panel controls could be operated by one program. (I'm not referring to MIDI) I don't think that has surfaced yet, or I wonder if it ever will?
MORPH!

PS: The worst part that really sucks about being insane are those brief moments when you're not.

#6158 - 09/06/03 12:50 PM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Right now......
FS1R. Sinply 'cause I just bought it.
But aside from that I still like the DX 7
- FM is my childhood addiction.
Noizy mother F..... though. But I don't spend a day without programming it. I find it a hell of a stress buster.
Amd then of coarse there's the rest of my synths...like 20 or so.
ED

#6159 - 09/07/03 12:28 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I use Roland XP80 almost exclusively on stage and in studio. Fully expanded, of course. Just bought Gigasampler for the studio though. Trying to pick my software instruments with care; whose strings, pianos, etc.

#6160 - 09/07/03 01:19 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
tekminus Offline

/me cracks Morph's skull with a brick

Right now, I'd probably keep the Nord Modular if I was to slim down the bedroom setup. As if that will happen

-tek

#6161 - 09/08/03 01:02 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
Anonymous
Unregistered

<---feels his skull, as he grazes his fingers across a huge bump after recieving the secret command switch:
brick.exe /me cracks Morph's skull with a brick
Ahhh haah ya didn't crack it open ( he checks and feels his huge bump again

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 09-08-2003).]

#6162 - 09/08/03 07:52 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
So far, the most exciting new entry for me has been the Motif. I haven't even played the ES yet, because I'm stuck in arranger/sequence work at the moment with no immediate end in sight. (Raising 3 kids, supporting 2 homes, not much free time.....whew.)

I love the Nord stuff as well, but I need synths to be more than one trick ponies. I don't have the room, or the time to set up a stack, like I did in the 70's and 80's. No more crowded stages for this guy, no sir. Slim and tight rigs for me.

I just got a Tyros, and the sounds and rhtyhms alone are pretty much worth the ticket price. I still do some work on a grand piano once a week, and much of my weekends are filled with large dance parties, so the Laptop is kind of like my conducter. I just play the piano parts these days.

In the actual "Synth" world, I still love buttons and sliders, but work comes first, so there will be no new kbs here, unless they can multitask, and work with me at a job. My clientele is 30-60 yrs old, on average...so synths are not all that vital to to my product. I play the hits, take requests and generally shmooze the ladies to enjoy the night.

It ain't Carnagie Hall, but like the Teredactyl under Wilma's sink used to say........ "It's a living !"

#6163 - 09/08/03 09:03 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
tekminus Offline

Not really a synth, but my LEXICON MPX-1 ARRIVED TODAY!!1! Along with an ESI M8U 128-channel MIDI patchbay. I've got my plans made for tonight.

-tek

#6164 - 09/08/03 09:34 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
My vote for the best synth goes to the Yamaha S90. I love the heavy feel and the sounds are awesome to me. I'm not big into creating huge scores or tweaking sounds. I'm not into sampling. I'm just into playing music. I love the pianos, and ep's. I also use a few square waves. Nearly evertime I give this board 30-40 mins, I have a new song ready started. I love it.

My second choice might be the Roland XP-80. I do like the JV/XP sounds.

#6165 - 09/10/03 06:00 AM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
Anonymous
Unregistered

The best synth is easily the Korg Z1 - the thing just rocks. Have created some of the fattest mutha bass lines on it.

#6166 - 09/18/03 03:47 PM Re: What's "the best synth"? (j/k)
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I have VST/32 and I upgraded to SX then crossgraded to N2 (while keeping SX license). Now there is SX2.

In my opinion, SX/SX2/N2 are way better than VST. Better sound, better interface, mutliple undo so on and so forth. VST has some midi features that are lacking in SX/N2, SX2 catches up with VST + it adds lot more features more than VST. N2.1 (next release of N2 in October) gets all features of SX2. I use SX with Wavelab4 nowadays.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online