SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#74353 - 01/09/00 10:01 PM General Discussion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please help me decide which keyboard I need. I am a musician/composer who has been disabled by tremors and muscle weakness. I want to buy a keyboard or digital piano that will have a light enough touch to allow me to begin playing again. I like the Yamaha Clavinova CVP, but I am concerned that the touch is too hard and will tire me out too quickly. But I miss the feel of a piano when playing a synthesizer. I could not find any retailers who would rent me a Clavinova to try out. Do any of you have any suggestions?

#74354 - 01/09/00 11:39 PM Re: General Discussion
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I can relate as I carry the DX of lower motor neuron disease, still consider myself lucky though as I have made it 8 years without croaking. Neurological conditions vary so I realize it may be different for you but even a synth action is very tiring, not to mention typing. While browsing online retailers I have seen one that does rent but I can't remember who (sorry). Anyhow, if you ever feel like bitching about things, drop me an e-mail. As I said, I can relate.

#74355 - 01/26/00 10:25 PM Re: General Discussion
alucero Offline

Hello,

I am selling a good keyboard with a light touch and a great sound. It is a PSR530PC. You can read my post dated 1/26/00 (PSR530PC for Sale, $380.00 plus shipping). If you wish you can contact me direct at alucero_98@yahoo.com

Art Lucero

#74356 - 02/03/00 03:08 AM Re: General Discussion
pbossink Offline

Loc: Tubbergen, Netherlands
The Yamaha P-series are real good piano's. I have a P-150. I don't get tired when I play on the P-150. Price: about $2000

#74357 - 02/16/00 08:44 PM Re: General Discussion
LifeForceExplorer Offline

Loc: Kentield, California USA
I'm a keyboard fanatic and I've just spent a month trying every damn one I could get my hands on at stores throughout the San Francisco area. I agree with the Yamaha P Series endorsement. For my money, the Yamaha P-80 is the best of the bunch, because it has incredibly beautiful sound, costs only $1,200 (Guitar Center sells them for $999) AND it has ADJUSTABLE TOUCH - light to heavy. Downside - it doesnt have speakers so you have to buy these extra, or run it through your home stereo. But its GREAT in the headphones and the touch is SUPERB !

#74358 - 02/16/00 09:27 PM Re: General Discussion
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Hi everyone,
I "used" to suffer from Carpel tunnel syndrome. That is, because I used to play music very fast.(On an unweighted Yamaha psr500). The past few years I played much less and I play much slower music. Well of course slow music isn't everything , I mean, music that's meant to be played fast can't be played slowly. But you can still ease down on the "knocking and banging" and play a little more gently, although sometimes you'll have to hold yourself back, and it's mising some fun and expression too. My hand still gets a little tired when I start ruffing up the playing,oh well.
What do you people think is the best hand and finger position and the best position and height to sit.
I think there are special hand & finger execises for carpel tunnel syndrome. Does anyone know of them?
Some people even get a wrist operation.

Is a weighted keyboard worse for carpel tunnel?
Mant thanks,
Bye, Bye

------------------
Jick

#74359 - 02/16/00 11:58 PM Re: General Discussion
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I, too went through the Carpull Tunnel thing, but was cured ny regular visits to a chiropractor! It's true! My insursance covered it, and I heve not had a relapse! It's been about 5 years since it went away. Go for a free test and see if it'll work for you too. It took about 2 years of treatments, but they were kind of relaxing, and soothing. 2-3 days a week at first then about twice a week till the end. I'm 45, and I have the dtrengh in my arms that I had when I was 20!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#74360 - 02/18/00 10:57 AM Re: General Discussion
Jick Duck Offline

Loc: Brooklyn NY
Thanks Dave,
I'll see.
Presently I do not suffer but I'm waiting for a store to put the psr9000 on display so I can try it out and choose between the X1 & 9000. After I buy one I'll start knockin' and bangin' and we will see what happens then.

------------------
Jick

#74361 - 02/18/00 01:35 PM Re: General Discussion
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I've played the PSR8000, and the feel is pretty close to the X1. I think the Solton has an edge in stifness, maybe something that will annoy you. I expect the 9000 to feel the same. I'm going to pick one up as soon as they're out just to see what it can do - but the X1 is here to stay. I expect to be amused ny the Yamaha, but I doubt if I'll play it full time. One of them will be retired to my home studio desk. I'll let you all know which one, and why!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#74362 - 02/18/00 07:06 PM Re: General Discussion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions! Sorry I took so long to reply; I have been very ill recently. I will look into the Yamaha P series, but at last check it didn't offer all the sounds I would like. What I have is much different than carpal tunnel syndrome (it affects my entire body with weakness), however, I have heard that carpal tunnel can be cured by taking B vitamins. (I wouldn't know if this is true.) And also, one of you asked what position is the easiest to play in. For me, it is definitely sitting about 4 to 6 inches higher than a normal piano bench. It gives me much better control and room to move, which adds strength to my playing. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Via S (edited 02-18-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online