SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#74192 - 04/10/00 01:38 PM im buying a keyboard and i want to decide, korg trinity or yamaha ex5, need opinion.
Element Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL USA
i want to buy a keyboard, ive been leaning towards the trinity/triton, but then a freind of mine told me that the yamaha ex7 or ex5 would be a better starting keyboard, and going to the store and mess with the keyboards isnt really enough, i have no clue what im doing, some advice would be appreciated.. im going to need something that can do really raunchy and dirty bass sounds, i was wonderin if the ex5/ex7 can do these sounds, any input is extremely appreciated =)
Element

#74193 - 04/13/00 06:54 AM Re: im buying a keyboard and i want to decide, korg trinity or yamaha ex5, need opinion.
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Do you need the internal sequencer or not?

If not then look at the new Yamaha CS6X. I've never been a real fan of Yamaha boards but this and the S80 have really changed my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a Triton and used to own a Trinity before selling it for the Triton.

I thought of trading my Trinity when the EX5 came out because it seemed to offer so much
more in terms of polyphony, sampling, real time control, arpeggiator etc.

Yes it sounded awesome (so did the Trinity!). It had up to 126 notes of polyphony. It had 2 sequencers, a 4 track arpeggiator, a sampler with up to 65MB of RAM space and you could expand it's outputs etc.

But after playing it for a good half a day at a music shop, I was quite discouraged and thanked my lucky stars that I didn't plop down a big amount of dough for this board.

Why- 126 notes of polyphony means nothing if you have sluggish timing response when using this synthe with it's own sequencer. When adding the SCSI option, you'd have to sit there for half an hour to wait for 65MB of data to load!!!!!!!!!WHAT????????? It had flexible effects processing but you only had access to one insert fx at a time as soon as you selected a VL, AN or FDSP voice in performance mode. This is because the EX5's CPU couldn't handle too much at all!!!!

Yes the Trinity only had 32 notes of polyphony with another 6 added with the MOSS board but at least this number wasn't dramatically reduced just because you wanted to add a DSP synthe patch etc!

Admittedly, the EX5's synthesis is deeper than that of the stock Trinity- but again, I got the clear impression that there were too many faults in this new Yamaha to warrant trading in my Trinity!!!! So I kept it and now I'm a very happy Triton owner!

If you want a great workstation, look at the Triton.

If you want a great synthe, check out the Yamaha CS6X, S80 and soon to be released Roland XV series. I've ordered and XV3080 module for myself!

If you have to make a choice between the EX5 and Trinity, decide what is important to you. Both machines sound awesome, but the Trinity is a hell of alot easier to use and does not suffer the midi timing problem of the EX5.

My advise however, is to skip both the Trinity and EX5 and go for a Triton if you are in the market for a workstation.

#74194 - 04/13/00 08:32 AM Re: im buying a keyboard and i want to decide, korg trinity or yamaha ex5, need opinion.
Element Offline

with the timing problems, can i track everything out on the polyphony of the ex5 and use another device to sequence it, will that cover up its timing issue? ex5 has a better analog sound to it then the triton, but triton can some of its own crazy sounds.
i think korg is releasing a new keyboard soon with 128 polyphony i might get that as well..a freind of mine has a ex5 and he recommended it for the sounds i need.

#74195 - 04/28/00 04:20 AM Re: im buying a keyboard and i want to decide, korg trinity or yamaha ex5, need opinion.
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Element-
If looking at the Trinity or Triton- invest the extra in the 6 voice MOSS board. This has got mega fantastic analogue synthe sounds that would blow away the sampled based EX5 analogue emulations (and the sampled Trinity or Triton emulations also of course!!). Yes the Korg's and Yamaha's have a very different sound that's for sure!!!!

The Yamaha has a bad timing response period. A couple of the magazines reviewing this board all complained about it and I'm not sure whether Yamaha did anything about it or not. It might even be worth finding out whether they may have upgraded the processor or something like that to improve the timing!

Fact is that the EX5 is a more powerful 'synthe' than the Trinity or Triton. But the Triton has a better sampler and there are no loss of effects when using DSP voices etc.

I've not heard of a new 128 voice Korg instrument- but of course they'll bring something out to compete with the other manufacturers- if not this year than next year for sure!!!!. I do not see the point in waiting for technology to 'catch up' because you will be waiting for ever!!!!!!!!!

However, if you have any info about the new Korg synthe please let me know. Thanks.

#74196 - 04/28/00 05:36 AM Re: im buying a keyboard and i want to decide, korg trinity or yamaha ex5, need opinion.
Element Offline

i read on another message board real quick about it, theyre making a synth that changes everything that people complained about with the triton/trinity series

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online