SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#738 - 07/26/05 12:29 PM Why cant I move forward?
MusicJohn Offline

Loc: Garner, NC, USA
Hello All,

After playing in bands for 10+ years, and now strolling into Baby Boomer territory, I find myself wanting to do something musical as a one-man band. I play guitar exclusively and I purchased a Yamaha PSR2000, and I have downloaded and bought scores of midi files of BB songs. I had started some nice Midi/Guitar/vocals combo that really has potential!

But no matter how I try to get started, I find myself looking for excuses not to play? My Wife really doesnt want me to play out anymore, and I think that is a big reason, but she is comfortable with me playing 'occasionally' for our social/Church group gathering. I get songs started and play some nice stuff, but cant motivate myself to put down Sets, etc.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION AS TO WHAT COUDL BE WRONG WITH ME, AND HOW TO KICK START MYSELF INTO THIS?..Thanks folks.

#739 - 07/26/05 12:53 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hello and welcome!
Step one would be to move your thread to either "The Bar" or "General Arranger" sections of this forum.

See you there!

-ED-

#740 - 07/26/05 01:20 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I don't know how badly your wife doesn't want you to play, and of course that could be a MAJOR factor ... Other than that, I would say that if you can't be 'self-motivated' you're not ready to do it ... While many here (and on the General Arranger forum) would gladly help with 'music' advice, you shouldn't need assistance from others for the motivation ...
Twenty - one years ago we moved from NY to Rhode Island, and I had to leave a band I had been with for 26 years (we started in high school) ... Not having that 'security blanket', I didn't play 'out' for about 7 years ... but I would sit down at home on a Fri/Sat and play for hours on end ... finally, my wife said "you enjoyed it so much, and obviously miss it so much, why don't you try to get a gig somewhere?" .. that was all the encouragement I needed ... I had business cards made, went around to some of the nicer restaurants in the area and started working again ...

I would also say don't worry about 'sets' ... you probably don't want to be so regimented anyway, but rather, go with the flow of the crowd ... Just have a ready list of songs of all types that you play and can easily refer to ... after a while you probably won't even need that ...
Good luck, and keeo us posted...
t.

#741 - 07/26/05 05:09 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
MusicJohn Offline

Thanks for the advice. You said something that hit the nail on the head..I may not be ready for it, and I should 'go with the flow'. THat's got me thinking a bit. Whether my wife is that supportive, I wouldn't bet money on it, as she wasn't that supportive of it when I WAS playing. But maybe age will mellow her out...LOL!

Thanks again.

------------------
MusicJohn

#742 - 07/26/05 08:01 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
MusicJohn....
You've got to be allowed to have a life too!!
Sure, it may not be what interests her, and that's fine, that's her opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....
...but...
...it's obvious that music is a great "release" for you, I can say the same thing for myself.
Fortunately, my better half, Cathy, is very supportive of my need to fulfill that spot in my life that only playing, or creating can do.
Cathy has her bowling (No Thanx....been there...done that), and her badminton..(nope)...then she also has her gardening which she enjoys....so for me to have my own "outlet" is important, and fortunately for me, Cathy understands that.
It's plain to see that music is very important to you, so all I can do is wish you luck my friend, in attaining that moment of happiness, even if it is infrequent.
As Tony said..."Keep us posted..." and GoodLuck.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 07-26-2005).]

#743 - 07/27/05 04:17 AM Re: Why cant I move forward?
MusicJohn Offline

Thanks again, ShBoom. I know you are right, and I am confident that Ill get past this for both conflicts.

Last night, I picked up the guitar and just started playing outside. With temperatures down here in the high 90's it was hot. But under the shade of an umbrella, I had a terrific time. I always enjoy playing outside. It was hot though!! Couldn't stay out long, but got to do a bunch of songs, especially ones that I had not done in a long while.

Thanks again and take care all.

MusicJohn

------------------
MusicJohn

#744 - 08/07/05 10:36 AM Re: Why cant I move forward?
zuki Offline

John,
I have the exact same problem. I know I can do it, I've been on many stages in the past, both solo and bands. But distractions and other obligations compete for my music preparation time and I let time slip away. My plan is to set aside a specific time each day to get enough material ready to go. Problem is....I never can stick to my plan. It all boils down to wanting it bad enough and that's a question only you can answer.
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#745 - 08/07/05 11:13 AM Re: Why cant I move forward?
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have the same problem. I played out six nights a week in the seventies, both with a drummer in clubs,and a solo in a restaurant. In the nineties I found I had the time to resume playing out,but had no place to play,no one to say "c'mon Bernie",and the scene had all changed.

I now have spent two years getting material ready and have so many I could play for a month. The problem is, I have just now gotten all the material down to good sets. Why ? because I have a gig coming up and have to be ready.

Perhaps there are some parallels for you,maybe not but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks for the topic.
Bernie

#746 - 08/08/05 02:59 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
MusicJohn Offline

You got that right. I now have a new problem. we are bording a friend of my daughters and there goes my music room.

Aint life grand?

------------------
MusicJohn

#747 - 08/08/05 10:20 PM Re: Why cant I move forward?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I met my wife when I was in my mid 20s and playing in a band. Back then we used to open for bands such as INXS and Divinyls plus other major rock acts in Australia. Over the years I stopped playing in bands but when I had a brain aneurysm in my mid 40s and almost died my wife then arranged for me to join a friend's cover band to help me with my recovery. It worked, I recovered and I still love to play with the same band ( 5 years later ) 4 nights each month. She was right knowing it was exactly what I needed to recover. While she doesn't really want to see every gig we play ( as she has seen us so MANY times already ) she is still very supportive and knows it is what makes me happy. It does help a lot to have a partner who understands what playing music means.

Your wife supports you playing social/Church group gatherings so you really should work on putting sets together for that.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online