SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73707 - 09/25/99 06:29 PM Yamaha SY85 - PC software
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any suggestions for PC software compatible with my SY85? I mainly want to load recorded songs and edit them on the PC then replay them on the SY. Is this possible?

#73708 - 09/30/99 03:40 PM Re: Yamaha SY85 - PC software
Jason Offline

Loc: Venice, CA
This is possible with just about any sequencing software that supports Standard Midi Files (SMFs). The SY85 uses PC-DOS 720kb formatted disks. So if you save your sequence in the SY85 as a Standard Midi File, then import it into (ie. Cubase VST). You can then edit the song up, rearrange it, etc.. Then save it as a SMF again to floppy and load it back into the SY85. The only thing that might not transfer is the drum pattern track. That doesn't fall under the smf format. You'll have to play a drum pattern, then copy over & over again in your sequencing software.

Once the song is in a computer sequencer (like Cubase or Cakewalk) you will need to have the SY85 hooked up to the computer via some kind of a Midi interface, so playback can still be sent to the SY85. This all pertains strictly to Midi sequencing. Audio recording is a whole other deal.

Regards,

Jason

#73709 - 10/02/99 09:02 AM Re: Yamaha SY85 - PC software
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the tip Jason. I'll have to check out which is best for me, Cubase or Cakewalk.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online