SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73646 - 04/04/02 04:41 AM Need help getting Midi to work using Sy22
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. all. I was given a Yamaha sy22 for christmas. I know its old, but was wondering if anyone knew how to help me get in running through midi into windows Xp on my system.

I can play it but it comes through the headphones only at this time. Im new to this art so some assistance would be appreciated please.
My specs are:

Athlon Xp 2000+
VIA 266A MB
Seagate HD
Windows XP Pro
Soundblaster

#73647 - 04/06/02 07:47 AM Re: Need help getting Midi to work using Sy22
brzilian76 Offline

MIDI is not the same thing as audio.

MIDI is just a computer communications language which containts set of instructions that tells equipment what notes to play, etc... It does not contain any audio information like a WAV file would. MIDI only triggers the sound generator in your PC or synth. Its like how those old player piano's used to work with the punch card roll.

MIDI is very usefull for recording music because it is not final like recording audio. You can go back and edit/change what you have recorded since it is just a list of events.

If you are at all familiar with different graphics formats, it would be the same as comparing vector graphics to bitmaps.

In order to hear your synth, you still need to connect its audio outputs to speakers of some kind

[This message has been edited by brzilian76 (edited 04-06-2002).]

#73648 - 04/09/02 12:13 AM Re: Need help getting Midi to work using Sy22
Midnite Rider Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA, USA
There is a great article on connecting Yamaha Keyboards to a computer at http://solutionsnetwork.yamaha.com

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online