SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73344 - 12/11/02 05:06 PM Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
mistergroovali Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
My Yamaha Dx100 isn't responding... when I turn on my Dx100 power switch, the LCD displays symbols like (#####&&/@#) and the RED power light goes out. There is no sound coming out of either the PHONES and OUTPUT jacks.

What could be wrong with my Dx100? I need help ASAP!

#73345 - 12/12/02 06:19 AM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
From your description, it appears as if either the power supply has died, or worse yet, the machine's internal power supply and mother board have died. Not a good sign. Have the power supply checked out before doing anything else. This can be done by merely connecting a small, automotive light bulb to the power supply using a few short lengths of wire. If the bulb doesn't light, the supply is obviously dead. However, if the power supply seems functional, then the problem is more serious and you may need to take the machine to an authorized service center.

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#73346 - 12/12/02 07:45 PM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
It could also be a boot problem . All of those synthesizers have a boot rom chip . It stores the operating system on it , which tells the synthesizer what to do . Before you open it , try a hard reset first . It is usually a matter of holding down a series of buttons while turning it on . It will erase all the altered programs and reboot the factory settings . It will be in the manual , if you don't have one , check the synthzone's links for Yamaha and you will find one . If that does not work , sometimes removing the boot rom chip and then resetting it also clears out the problems ( SOMETIMES ) . Because you essentially kill the power to it for about 10 seconds or more . I had to do this to my Alesis Wedge , it worked perfectly after that . Usually this boot rom chip is labeled with the OS version on it . But , try the reset before removing anything .

#73347 - 12/13/02 12:39 AM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
mistergroovali Offline

Thanks for the helping hand... but I don't see in the Yamaha Dx100 manual about a RESET precedure. Are you familiar with the Yamaha Dx100 Programmable Algorithm Synthesizers?

#73348 - 12/13/02 08:34 AM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
800dv Offline

Yes , the DX-100 is a 4 Operator FM synthesizer . All synthesizers that are under the control of a micro processor use an operating system , sometimes they eventually have problems when they try to boot up . This is stored on a boot rom chip which is like a computers harddrive in a way . It tells the synthesizer what to do , where everything is , and how to operate them . It's been a long time since I had one of those , but I will try and find out what the procedure is .

#73349 - 12/13/02 07:31 PM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
mistergroovali Offline

Thanks, I really appreciate your help and to anyone else who offers a solution to my problem.

#73350 - 12/14/02 08:55 AM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
800dv Offline

I almost forgot , The DX-27 and DX-27S are the same except they have fullsize keys . I have not had the time to check those online manuals but the reset answer might be in there as well .

#73351 - 12/18/02 01:01 PM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
The symptoms of the wacked characters and no output is typical of a dead backup battery. This is a 3V lithium cell which retains all of the voice parameters. Try to access some of the presets. Press function, then one of the presest search buttons. If those voices play, it's just the battery. If not, talk to a tech about a repair. You can download 4op voices here at Synthhzone, after you get you battery replaced.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#73352 - 12/18/02 05:44 PM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
mistergroovali Offline

But when I turn my Dx100 on with those symtoms and then I press the FUNCTION button and one of the search buttons I still get nothing.

#73353 - 12/19/02 11:35 AM Re: Yamaha Dx100 PROBLEM - HELP!
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Then its not a battery problem. Check with SPHAR ORGAN SERVICE INC. and EXPERT ELECTRONICS, both in Cincinnati to see if they can fix it for you.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online