SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73196 - 01/15/01 10:54 PM ex5
scooby Offline

Anyone know how to get audio into the ex5 and use the effects etc in real time? Maybe a software upgrade?

#73197 - 01/16/01 10:48 AM Re: ex5
mick n Offline

Loc: stockton . teesside. england
Scooby.
No way,unfortunately. There are no software upgrades for the ex series,only hardware upgrades,(ie,4 rom chips that you get from yamaha). But none of the upgrades will do what you are asking.

It is a pity it cant do this with so many good fx available. The korg triton can though.
Mick.

#73198 - 01/17/01 01:40 AM Re: ex5
scooby Offline

Thank you Mick
I was hoping against hope.
What are these rom chips you speak of?

#73199 - 01/19/01 05:11 AM Re: ex5
mick n Offline

scooby.
these are the main operating system chips for the synth. 2 of the chips are for the main rom and the other two are for the tone generator system.
dont know if you have upgraded yours yet but i have done mine twice.
the chips are free from yamaha but they specify that you return your old chips.

for more info on the ex5 have you tried ex5 tech ? It is the best site for info and patches/samples.really great!
http://www.wbmedia.com/ex5/
ps, make sure you check the discussion forum.

[This message has been edited by mick n (edited 01-19-2001).]

#73200 - 01/19/01 08:05 AM Re: ex5
Key Juice Offline

scooby & mick n,
I have been thinking of purchasing an ex5 unit, so what do you think of your machines?

#73201 - 01/19/01 01:40 PM Re: ex5
mick n Offline

Hi key juice. I am now onto my 2nd ex5 cos the first one i got sickened me off a bit,but after a couple of weeks without it i realised i made a mistake selling it and bought another one.
It is a cracking synth but it has its drawbacks, mainly lack of processing power and midi timing delays when playing sequences and the scsi speed,or lack of it,

Although its fair to say, there are workarounds for some of these problems.

I know i will never get rid of mine,it is quite a deep machine and there is enough to keep you learning for a long time to come!

If you want to know more about its pros and cons check out the ex5 tech site i mentioned in the above reply to scooby. This is a great site for anything ex5 and some really good people involved with it.
hope this helps.
Mick.

#73202 - 01/20/01 04:18 PM Re: ex5
Key Juice Offline

Thanks mick n for your candid opinion on the ex5. So often it seems people give too nice of an opinion on their music tools because they spend what seems like a lot of money on them. I'm glad you have been able to work around the problems that you had, and mabey you can give me assistance in the future if I decide to purchase the ex5.

#73203 - 01/21/01 08:25 AM Re: ex5
mick n Offline

Hi key juice. If you go the ex5 way, I would be glad to help in any way i can.

Good luck! Mick.

#73204 - 01/21/01 11:32 PM Re: ex5
scooby Offline

Thanks Mick for the rom chip info.
Do you know how to check which operating system I have on my rack.I tried something I saw elsewhere which was "voice" + H + "8" but nothing happened.I didn't do this on power up though and I'm relunctant to experiment too much cos I don't want to initialize the whole thing etc.
By the way-for Key Juice:Withouy really having got into the depths of yhe ex5 yet,I can say that it is a fantastic sounding machine even just out of the box.I t has some effects limitations when sequencing but then don't they all.I look forwarding to playing it,doodling on it and writing with it and you can't say that about too many synths after the honeymoon is over can you.
good luck

[This message has been edited by scooby (edited 01-21-2001).]

#73205 - 01/23/01 12:16 PM Re: ex5
mick n Offline

Scooby. power up the ex5(wait for it to power up completely,) then press and hold down voice,press and hold down H, press and hold down 8. the rom and tg versions will be displayed. This will not initialise the ex5 unless you press f3 initialise key.
Dont do it unless you have everything backed up! The latest roms are main rom v1.0d and tg v1.11.

On the ex5r press voice+6+9.
Mick.

[This message has been edited by mick n (edited 01-28-2001).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online