SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73039 - 01/18/00 07:23 PM S80 and Instrument Definition
wwaldram Offline

Loc: Lee's Summit, MO, USA
I'm not sure where to turn, so bare with me. I just bought a S80 and am using Cakewalk Home Studio 8. I guess I need an instrument definition file. Who normally creates these, the Synth manufacture, or Cakewalk? Has anyone seen one floating around on the net?

I tried creating my own. It works ok, patch name are correct. But, when I open a GM file, the patches are GM, and the S80 is not. So, I get different voices. Does the instrument definition file have a "patch map" to correspond the respective GM voice to the S80?

Thanks,

Bill Waldram

#73040 - 01/19/00 10:32 PM Re: S80 and Instrument Definition
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Bill,

Yamaha S80 is not GM compatible. It will be a lot of work to try to map its panel sounds to GM - it is not quite possible because it does not have all the equivalent sounds to GM map. However, if you purchase the PLG100-XG tone generator plug-in board then your S80 becomes GM/XG compatible. When I bought my S80 last month, the XG expansion board was not available yet. Well, you may not like Yamaha's XG sounds though. The best GM sounds I have ever heard from a regular keyboard/module is the Solton X1 arranger keyboard - much better than Roland GS, Yamaha XG and others.

Paul Ip
from Texas

#73041 - 01/20/00 07:39 AM Re: S80 and Instrument Definition
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
To answer your question regarding who makes the instrument defenition lists for a particular keyboard, it is the software manufacturer who would do this. However, sometimes you can find a person on the web who owns the same keyboard, and they have already done one and they will share it.
Also, when Yamaha shipped out the first S80 to each dealer (demo model) there was a smart media disk installed in this unit. On the smart disk is a bank of sounds called GM, and you can load these into your S80. I would suggest you contact the dealer you bought this from and find if he could make you a copy by loading these in and then saving them on a new smart media disk.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online