SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72981 - 02/18/99 02:15 PM CS1X vs CS2X
danb Offline

I just bought my CS1x about a month ago. I didn't know that there is a CS2X coming to the market. Is it worth returning the CS1X and get CS2X instead? I tested the CS2X from the store and it seems like the new sounds are generated from the CS1X architecture and there's nothing much difference.. I am just wondering if those new sounds from CS2X can possibly be generated or reproduced from the CS1X, or convert the sounds of CS2X to CS1X by some midi applications, sysex or something.

#72982 - 03/01/99 02:39 AM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
Shard Offline

I would definately say yes...
Knowing exactly what the CS1X can do...
We have them both and the CS2X is essentially
Everything people responded to Yamaha about what they would have wanted added or changed in the CS1x!
Return the CS1X if you can....

#72983 - 03/01/99 05:34 PM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
danb Offline

Can you enumerate what changes or what are those CS1X users' demands that Yamaha responded to? If I can just get those additional sounds of CS2X and converted it to CS1x and be able to play them, then what's the use of having this CS2x while the only main difference is the polyphony. I really don't need 64 notes in my applications. I just want to know if getting the CS2X is really worth the amount of their difference since I already have a pretty similar machine. In other words, what are the things that I can do with CS2X but not with CS1X other than using another 32 notes. I do mostly live performances. My other concern is the store that I bought my CS1X does not want to give me a full refund since I bought this like a month ago. Hey, thanks for your response.

#72984 - 03/02/99 05:29 PM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
SMachine Offline

British magazine Sound On Sound published an extensive review of CS2x (and compared it to CS1x of course too) in their march issue.
Here's their web site:
http://www.sospubs.co.uk/html/home.htm
although I think you've got to be a subscriber to read it online.
It sounds like among other things CS2x has new better sounds, better arpeggiator and is backward compatible with CS1x (can transfer CS1x sounds to CS2x).

#72985 - 03/02/99 07:38 PM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
SMachine Offline

OK, here we go:
CS2x polyphony 64 voices
expanded arp patterns menu + its arpeggiator outputs MIDI info
88 fully editable effects
additional high-pass filter (10 knobs total)
subjective suff: it sounds better

#72986 - 03/03/99 11:31 AM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
danb Offline

Hey SMachine thanks for the info. I was convinced that the comparison between these two great synths doesn't really have big difference. I like my CS1X. It is usable for some applications but again it still has some limitations. As I compared with Korg N5/EX the Korg has more features than both CS1x/CS2x combined for almost the same amount if I go upgrade my CS1x to CS2x. I just bought my CS1x and I cannot get a full refund of the amount that I paid for it. The store wants to take it as trade-in for the value of $100.00 (no way!!!) Anyway thanks for your reply. -Dan

#72987 - 03/18/99 06:15 PM Re: CS1X vs CS2X
Hans Offline

Loc: St.Oedenrode, Netherlands
I bought my cs2x just a week ago, and traded
in my good 'old' (one year) cs1x. I've got a
fair refund for my cs1x. I liked the cs1x a
lot, but even like my cs2x better. Besides
the cs1x waveforms there are a lot of new
waveforms (2 banks of 128 performances) and
to my ears also the cs1x samples have
improved (more crispy and detailed). I'm
very content, though I think the cs1x also
stays as a very good instrument. The cs2x
is just more (and I think a little bit better) than cs1x. No reason to cry about
buying the cs1x I think - it's still good
value for money!
Greetings from Holland - Hans

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online