SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72922 - 07/19/01 01:30 PM Piano sampling
H-BOMB!!! Offline

I recently fired up my Yamaha P-200 again (after letting it hibernate for almost a year).

I was playing it last night when I heard something weird in the bass region of the piano. When I played the lowest E, F, F#/Gb, and maybe even G (can't quite remember), I heard some tones that sounded "off key." For instance, when I hit the lowest F, I heard a tone in G#/Ab. I thought it was weird so I fired up my Korg M3R and heard the same thing.

So, I was wondering if all acoustic piano samples sound like this. I know that hitting a note on an acoustic piano creates a few tones to get the note to sound more full. I believe that most of the notes on an acoustic piano have 3 strings to them, which are each tuned slightly apart from each other.

Does this make sense? I wish I could explain it better. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm going to try the same thing on my Trinity and Triton tonight.

#72923 - 07/20/01 10:01 PM Re: Piano sampling
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I think it is the time of the year for tuning.

Just kidding of course

#72924 - 07/23/01 07:55 PM Re: Piano sampling
Mike Nelson Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove,MN,USA
If you're playing the Korg module from the P-200 and getting the same effect, there must be something in the key switches, under and inside, that causes more than one key switch to close when you press just one. Time for a thorough cleaning of the inside of the P-200.Especially the keyswitch area. If it's still under warranty you may want to have it done by a shop.A very delicate vacuuming and if the actual switch contacts are exposed, De-Oxit or TV tuner cleaner, NOT SILICONE.mn

#72925 - 07/24/01 01:38 PM Re: Piano sampling
H-BOMB!!! Offline

Thanks!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online