SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72747 - 10/31/01 05:12 AM DJX One, Sequencing problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I'm new to this forum so HELLO to you all !!

I'm having a few problems with my DJX-1...

I probably should tell u my current music setup:

Celeron 466
256MB RAM
SB Live 1024 soundcard
CD-RW
Phonic MM1202 mixer
Zoom 1201 fx unit
FAT resonator filter
Yamaha DJX 1
and at the moment I have a Yamaha FZ-1 Sample synthesizer that I'm borrowing.

Ok, now to list a few of problems I'm having. I have Logic Audio Platinum 4.0 and Cubase VST 3.7 which i'm trying to use with the DJX.

I can sync Rebirth with either sequencer and ideally I want to be able to have strings or whatever playing from the DJX. Aswell as a few samples from the sequencer too.

Its all hooked up and I have basic MIDI in/out capabilities. My questions are:
--------------------
1) Which would be best to use with the DJX Logic or Cubase?

I would rather use logic but if Cubase would be better i'll use that. Pretty much all the info I find on the DJX on the net is concerning Cakewalk... I really don't want to have to buy Cakewalk as I have the other two but do u feel it would suit the DJX best?
--------------------

2) How do u enter melodies into your sequencer? Do u use a piano roll window or record live? If u record live then whats the best way to quantize the DJX??

I want to be able to record and edit arpeggios using the DJX and need to no the best way.
--------------------

3) Lastly, if you had my setup (just theoretically, I know nobody would want it ... how would u use it? How would u set it up??

THANX FOR ANY HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Housey

------
ABSTRACTASS - For the bedroom muso! http://www24.brinkster.com/tonka/assforum.asp

------------------
------
ABSTRACTASS - For the bedroom muso!
http://www24.brinkster.com/tonka/assforum.asp

#72748 - 10/31/01 11:22 AM Re: DJX One, Sequencing problems!
grahawk Offline

There's no easy answer as to which sequencer is best to use. Cakewalk has advantages in that there is a studioware panel available as well as instrument definitions. There is a mixer available for logic and although it was written for Macs with the correct expander program you can use on PCs as well. Can't remeber what's available for Cubase - instrument definitions at least I think. In the end it's more to do with which sequencer you prefer to use. I use a basic version of Logic repacked by Majix and for basic work it is fine and I get by without instrument extensions etc. I have tried a demo of Cakewalk and it's good to have the add ons. But I find my version of Logic easier to navigate. Never tried Cubase. Frankly you may as well to stick to waht you have and what you know though you try a demo of Cakewalk to see what it's like.

You can use the piano roll for melodies but prefer playing them and then editing out errors. This is again all about personal preference. More complicated sequences and drum patterns are done on the sequencer. I don't know what you mean by the best way to quantitise. I just select quantitise in the sequencer and choose the option I want.

As to your setup I can't advise.

[This message has been edited by grahawk (edited 10-31-2001).]

#72749 - 11/01/01 02:54 AM Re: DJX One, Sequencing problems!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi grahawk,

Thanks for your reply.

I would like to use Logic, I have seen a logic file on the yamaha site with the extension .sit. Are you saying that if I get a utility for windows that can unpack the sit file then I could use the extracted file with Logic?

I've managed to use a driver type file with cubase that gives me the program and bank numbers to enter to get the non GM sounds, although like I say I would rather use logic.

I think i'll try and locate a demo of cakewalk just to see if it is better suited to my needs.

Thanks for your advice on the sequencing issues, I suppose like you say it personal preference.

housey

------------------
------
ABSTRACTASS - For the bedroom muso!
http://www24.brinkster.com/tonka/assforum.asp

#72750 - 11/01/01 10:48 AM Re: DJX One, Sequencing problems!
grahawk Offline

The expander is called stuffit.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online