SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71973 - 10/05/01 05:56 AM New to midi
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bought a Yamaha S03 with XG works.
I'm somewhat new to midi.
Is this a good place to get advice on setting up, getting XG works to remember synth setting etc?
Thanks.
DougF

#71974 - 10/23/01 04:47 AM Re: New to midi
Jocko Offline

Although this site is for the new Yamaha Motif, there is discussion about hooking up the midi and software.
http://pub70.ezboard.com/bmotifator

Here's another midi link as well:
http://www.midiworld.com/index.htm

Terry

#71975 - 10/23/01 09:26 AM Re: New to midi
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Quote:
Originally posted by DougF:
I just bought a Yamaha S03 with XG works.
I'm somewhat new to midi.
Is this a good place to get advice on setting up, getting XG works to remember synth setting etc?
Thanks.
DougF

XGWorks remembers what you tell it to remember...You must insert midi data into a midi file(sequence) for XGWorks to read and respond.

Example: Open XGWorks, then open the XGEdit window. Change some parimeters, lets say: change channel one to tromebone2(im a trombone player), and reverb to room2(or whatever). Now use the insert button (on the tool bar at top,hold arrow over buttons and it will tell what it is) to insert midi data into sequence. It will ask for what channel you want it inserted to(default is channel 1). insert into channel one. Now go back to the track view(the main view) in xgworks.You will see a small block at the beginning of track 1(channel 1). Highlight block and Open that in list view(again on the toolbar at top). You will see the actual midi data. save file and presto you have a midi file. This is the kind of data that needs to be in the setup for each channel/track. XG reset sets all parimeters to the defalts, you will need to start all songs/sequences with an XG reset. I recommend getting a hold of one of the XG specs sheets from one of the Yamaha sites(look for the reading room from the XG site). It will give you specs on how to organize the midi data etc.

This should help get you started, but there is alot more to writing good midis that I can explain here. Read the manuals!!! I cant stress that enough. also there are some good resource at the XGFactory site(www.xgfactory.com) in the download section, look for the advanced user guide(these were intended for the SW1000XG but will apply to the S03 as well).

Good luck,
DudemanCentral

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online