SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71502 - 07/01/00 02:19 PM Need help, first keyboard...
Mario Berges Offline

Loc: Santo Domingo, Dominican Repub...
Hi..

I'm looking for help, I'm confused. I've been trying to decide between many Yamaha keyboards...
I might have to say that I'm not a professional player, but not a beginner either.
I'd like to use it, specially to back up my songs... I have a Multitracker Recorder, and I also play guitar, so I'm looking for good sounds, STRINGS, WINDS, PIANOs, etc...

Anyways... my search has given birth to these products:

1- PSR-340 (Which I've read doesnt have good sounds)
2- PSR-530 (Which, without the floppy drive [being honest, i dont really need it], has a much more complex sound library)
3- PSR-540 (Which is above 340, and still has floppy drive... but i would have to spend all the money I earn during this vacation on it...)

I would appreciate your responses, with your personal opinions. If you have any other suggestions, or any comments... please, send 'em.

Sincerilly,
Mario Berges

P.S. Please excuse my english, it's my second language.

#71503 - 07/03/00 06:33 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
To tell you the truth those PSR series with built in speakers have REALLY BAD resale values and they are exstremely limited in sound shaping qualities . Not to say they are bad all the way around but they are not the best purchase either . I suggest looking at used YAMAHA synthesizers like the SY-55 , SY-77 , V-50 , DX-7 , SY-22 , SY-35 . They will have the pianos , strings , and other acoustic sounds that you are looking for in a professional model but since they are used , you can get them at a good price .

#71504 - 07/03/00 09:24 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I sure hope you don't think a DX-7 has ANY piano or string sounds in it, do you? That instrument was famous for a Killer rhodes substitute, and a few shimmery digital pads- but strings.......naw! The PSR stuff is much better suited to the needs that Mario stated.
He wants sounds to use, not program.
Am I right Mario?

------------------
Uncle Dave

#71505 - 07/04/00 12:43 AM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
Having Owned a PSR-530, SY-35, SY-99, and Roland G-600 I would say for a beginner the PSR-530 is a good pick as long as it is understood that if you you progress beyond the beginner level their are some limitations that will restrict progress. For example, the user patterns are fixed, and no new ones are available. This means that in order tp come up with songs that don't sound canned you basically have to skip over the patterns and program via an external sequencer. By doing this you defeate the purpose of the machine. I think the best thing to do is pick up a used PSR-530 for now, and once you reach the limits of the machine get something else. I had my PSR-530 for about 2 years before I moved on to something else- the G-600. I thus moved on from the G-600 only because I felt again that with using pre-programmed styles I was cheating, and not really learning properly. But, after selling my synths with styles I seem to miss them somewhat. The sonds on a PSR are definitly better than the stock SY series sounds, but have a canned quality to them PSR=thinness/beginner but realistic presets,SY=thickness/advanced-sound design but dated sounding presets.

#71506 - 07/04/00 12:37 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I hate the DX-7 , but I just threw that in there just for the hell of it . It's string sounds are like someone using an older synthesizer that they just poured beer all over the inside of it ---- bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .

#71507 - 07/04/00 10:02 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Whew. That's a relief!

------------------
Uncle Dave

#71508 - 07/05/00 09:41 AM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hi,

You said it yourself: "I am not a beginner either."

Therefore, get PSR540. It has better sounds than PSR530. But other comments about PSR540 are correct. After few years, you will want a better keyboard and that is good because it is not that your keyboard became obsolete, your musicship have grown and expanded *S*

#71509 - 07/05/00 03:26 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
Mario Berges Offline

First of all... thanks a lot. I'm sure your comments will help.

Some things i'd like to add...

- This is a birthday gift... my parents will buy it. But I cant exceed the limit of say... US $350.

- I live outside the U.S. and the keyboard should be in Miami for the 28th of this month, so that I can get it here with no extra cost...

- My musical influences are: (no specific order)
-Enya
-Angelo Badalamenti
-Dead Can Dance
-Bill Frisell
-Radiohead
-Portishead
-many more...
- As for the one who said the sounds of the 540 where better... I'd like to know more bout that... even though that keyboard seems to exceed my limits.

- I also have some effects pedals... that could cut off same sounds over and over.

- Dont know much bout keyboards...

- BTW, the DX-7 is really awesome... but it's too expensive.

And again... thanks for your help.

----------------------------------
"Fighting For Peace Is Like Screwing For Virginity"

Mario Bergés

#71510 - 07/06/00 03:46 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Hi again,

Concerning PSR540, I usually recommend the 500 series as a keyboard for those beginners who really want to grow beyond the beginner status and also for those who are not beginners but do not want to spend lot of many. PSR500 series has everything you want: acceptable sounds, good styles(auto-accompaniment styles) and an acceptable sequencer.

Well, The First keyboard was PSR500; then came PSR510, followed by PSR520 till 540. I always found out that the later one has better sounds and better styles. They kept the price to about $500 dollars but they included more into it.

For example, listen to the piano sound, the flute, the trumpet. Listen to solo guitar. Then, listen to the styles, you will find them more updated, more sophisticated to match the style of this age.

I do not know about you, but I will not accept a used PSR. Those are not made to last in the first place. What I would recommend is that you take the money and postpone buying the keyboard until you have saved enough.

#71511 - 07/10/00 02:57 PM Re: Need help, first keyboard...
Mario Berges Offline

Ok, i'm writting for just one thing...

I will buy the PSR-540.
And I'm happy for it.

No more further comments...

Mario Berges

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online