SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71324 - 05/06/00 08:52 AM CS6X/S80/S30 Sync problem
Kevan Staples Offline

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada
This just in from Yamaha..an explanation of the sync problem that I was having with a CS6R. It would seem that in Yamaha's eyes it's a feature. Be warned that in my eyes it's not a feature to anyone who plays in real time which I believe would be about 98% of us. Your milage may vary.

Dear Kevan,
As product manager for Digital Musical Instruments here at Yamaha, I am very concerned with issues like you mention. There has been considerable confusion in regard to the arpeggiator synchronizing function of our most recent line of synthesizers. I have performed extensive testing of the arpeggiators sync capability and can assure you that it does synchronize with external MIDI clock. I hope the following information will adequately explain how you can achieve the results you desire.

Because there are several categories (types) of arpeggiator patterns intended for different musical purposes (guitar strums, drum patterns etc.), the triggering implementation (both internal and through MIDI) is a little different from previous instruments. But it does synchronize perfectly with external MIDI clock messages recieved by the MIDI in of the CS6x(R), S80 and S30.

The reason that it doesn't seem to sync properly is that the actual arpeggio pattern is offset (delayed) by a 32nd note (independant of tempo as it must be, to be in sync). This is a predictable musical value that represents a "window" of opportunity that the arpeggiator gives you in order to determine how many and which notes you wish to arpeggiate.

When you are aware of this 32nd note offset, it is possible to trigger manually (by anticipation of a 32nd note) to achieve the desired result, and through MIDI by offsetting the arp trigger note[s] by a 32nd note.
When these methods are used it is possible to achieve perfect synchronization with any and all arpeggiator patterns in the CS6x(R), S80 and S30.

Thank you for your support of Yamaha synthesizers and if I can be of further assistance feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Avery Burdette
Product Manager
Digital Musical Instruments
Yamaha Corporation of America

#71325 - 05/11/00 01:34 PM Re: CS6X/S80/S30 Sync problem
Kevan Staples Offline

Loc: Toronto Ontario Canada
Yet more news and this time it looks good. I just received this info from the horse's mouth..the design team in Japan is working on a fix. I quote

"We are aware of this problem. Although it is an original feature, we are now endevouring to improve it as much as possible. Please give us some more time (at least another 10 days) and hopefully we will give you improved arp."

I'm surprised they can do it in 10 days but that would be fab gear rave. Let's keep our pinkies crossed that it won't be much longer.

Kevan

BTW It will be in the form of a downloadable file that will need to be transfered to a smartmedia card.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online