SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71260 - 12/20/01 12:50 AM PSR2000 ISSUES
CZ1 Offline

Loc: Toronto Canada
Just got a PSR2000 . . .

got some issues with it that I have asked Yamaha Canada about . . .

1) there is a glitch in the registration MEMORY function (actually the GLOBAL settings memory function) that REFUSES to remember the POLARITY of my sustain pedal! It's a Yamaha pedal too . . . I have 2 of them and one came with my P-80 piano . . . so I know it is optimized for Yamaha keyboards . . . when I change REGISTRATION memories (either stored in FLASH ROM or from floppy) I have to 'tap' the pedal once to prevent the 'ETERNAL SUSTAIN' thing from happening . . . not great in the performance setting in which I use it! ( a church ) . . .

2) when the limit of polyphony is reached (not that hard to do, even with 64 voice polyphony with a layered voice - played piano -style), there is considerable 'clicking' and noise as the voices drop out of the mix!! My old PSR410 had 32 voice poly and NEVER did this even when BOTH the right AND left splits had layered voices AND I used the sustain pedal !!! WHAT GIVES??

3) speaking of which: what the heck is the reason for NOT having the LEFT split 'LAYERABLE' ??? (just a single left voice is possible ) . . . my old PSR410 AGAIN wins this one - with layerable voices on BOTH splits!!

4) the lack of a numeric keypad to enter voice-names is INEXCUSABLE!

The unit has GORGEOUS voices (which is why I bought it) and a basic seqeuncer / MIDI recorder which I use as a 'scratchpad' for ideas when I am not in my home studio . . . the backlit LCD is great and those features all make it a desirable unit.

But the 4 issues mentioned above are a REAL pain!

I hope at least a couple of the problems may be addressed in a flash ROM update at some point!

One last thing: anybody remember playing the original DX7s?? they had a REALLY GREAT action - sort of 'over-center' feel to the keys . . . why can't ANY current non-weighted action Yamaha keyboards feel like this any more?? My PSR2000 is playable, but the action is NOT great . . . I guess if they had put the P-80 action in it, all the 'synth boys' would have a stroke . . .

ANY IDEAS about my PSR2000 woes?

B in Toronto

------------------

#71261 - 12/20/01 07:28 AM Re: PSR2000 ISSUES
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
CZ,

Scoot on over to the arranger forum on these issues. The folks over there are soooo knowledgable when it comes to PSR's, especially the new PSR2000. You'll learn so much you won't believe it.

Angelo

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online