SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71041 - 03/16/00 06:34 AM S30
Cidmann Offline

Loc: Miramichi, N.B., Canada
Anyone know anything about the new S30? Is it comparable to the roland XP30?

#71042 - 03/16/00 10:06 AM Re: S30
Paul Ip Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
Yamaha S30 is the 61-key version of the popular S80 synthesizer. I like S80's piano sounds better than XP30's. I also like the simplicity of Yamaha S80/S30's panel layouts - more intuitive than Roland XP30's. In terms of other accoustic sounds though I like Roland's JV/XP sounds much better especially the ones from their expansion boards. Both the XP30 and the S30 has two expansion slots. I personally like the Roland way of expansion, the Yamaha way requires more labor and care in handling the plug-ins. Roland has more choices of expansion boards but Yamaha has some unique ones like harmonizer, VL stuff. I own both the S80 and XP30 and I think they compliment each other well. If I am only allowed to choose one between the two, I prefer Roland XP30 for better allround sound choices and quality (just personal preference) and compatibility (GM) when used with computers. George Kaye mentioned that there is a GM set for S80 (should be applicable to S30) and Keyboard magazine's review on S80 mentioned that it is downloadable from Yamaha but I have not been able to locate that from Yamaha. With the GM set, S30/S80 should be GM friendly - I do not like their XG plug-in sounds. S30 can handle SmartMedia up to 32 MB, but XP30 can use only up to 4 MB.

#71043 - 03/16/00 07:42 PM Re: S30
Agent428 Offline

Let us know if you find a way to get the GM set for the S80 - I've also been looking for it on the Yamaha sites and haven't found it.

I'm not familiar with the Roland expansion system, but I haven't found the Yamaha plug in to be problematic. I installed the PF (piano) plug-in within 2-3 minutes.

Since you mentioned the Keyboard review - have you noticed the zipper noise he reported with the EQ knobs? I haven't.

#71044 - 03/17/00 06:11 PM Re: S30
Inray Offline

Loc: GREECE
S30 & S80 can be GM using the PLG-100XG plugin that gives them XG/GM capability with card's own XG sounds and polyphony.
I disagree with previous posts that Roland's expansion boards are better than Yamaha's.
Roland's boards are just sample ROMs and nothing else. Yamaha's PLG boards are standalone synths with different synth engine each one of them, their own insertion FXs, polyphony, editing software & paremeters, midi extra channels etc.
For example there is a full (and better) DX7 plugin, an analog synth, an harmonizer with its own source input, a physical modeling synth etc.
You can have, as an example, a S30/80 synth with two of those boards and 128+ voices, 32+ parts, up to 16 IFXs, three synth engines, three sound computer based editing modules.
In a few words:
A Yamaha ROMpler 64 voices etc.
A fat 6-voice analog synth
A DX7
All of these in one excellent keyboard.
Think about it...

#71045 - 03/17/00 09:26 PM Re: S30
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Here's the way Yamaha handles the gm/xg problem.
If you go to a music store who has the original S80 demo unit shipped from Yamaha, there is a gm sound set loaded on the smart media card shipped installed in every dealers demo unit. If the dealer loads these sounds into the internal memory, you can install a blank smart media card and save this setup to the card and then use it in your keyboard. If you install the XG plug in board, now you have the entire xg sound set on midi channels 17-32 of the S80/S30.
I have all the expansion cards in stock if anyone is interested.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#71046 - 03/26/00 03:02 AM Re: S30
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
I read that the S30 only has one expansion slot as opposed to the S80's two slots. Is this true?

Also, why oh why Yamaha did you give the S30 a pissy external power supply???????? We are buying synthesizers from you not playstation consoles! This is pathetic as far as I am concerned- (PS- in case no one has already realised- I hate external power supplies).

Regarding sound- I had a great play of the S80 the other day and let me just say that it sounds absolutely superb!!!!! If I was shopping for a new synthe now, it would definetly be on my shortlist because it is just so 'playable!'. It just does not sound bad.

PS- Roland and Yamaha sounds are different. Yamaha's sounds are more sparkly but Rolands are warmer (if that explanation helps in any way!).

Also, why couldn't Yamaha have added at least 4 expansion slots so we could add more options at once rather than having to swap and change when the need arises? Well I suppose it's something for the next model isn't it! Cheers.

#71047 - 03/26/00 03:08 PM Re: S30
Inray Offline

Hi Korgasm...
I've also read that S30 has just one PLG slot but i'm not sure. But external power supply ???? I hate them in rack modules but on a synth ?
Anyway S80 is excellent and has Yamaha's signature to its voices. As you told before Roland's sound is warmer but S80 has it's own personality...
As for having four slots. Then S80 would be the best multi-synth-engine multi-everything
great sounding, master synth around.
By the way S80 using PLG150-PF has the best piano & EP sound among current keyboards (with the exception of kurzweil and XV )

#71048 - 03/30/00 04:32 AM Re: S30
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Inray-
Are the XV piano/EP sounds so good are they? I have ordered an XV3080 for myself but I must say that I was mightly impressed with the S80's factory offerings of these sounds.

I think Yamaha have really hit the mark with this synthe. Now imagine if they bought it out with a nice easy to use flexible onboard sequencer? It would sell in droves to those who like the workstation idea. No doubt this will happen sooner than later.

#71049 - 03/30/00 05:41 PM Re: S30
Inray Offline

Korgasm...

As you know i have in my setup the S80 with PLG/150-PF addon. It really sounds great. Its EP and pianos are excellent. I found them far better than Roland's XP/JV ones. But the new Roland XV is a different case. I found its EP,pianos better than anything i've heard before, expecially using the new (extra) SRX piano PCM board. S80 sound isn't worst, just different. Onboard pianos on both (s80 & XV) are about the same in quality. I found S80 + PF having a litle more bright digital-metalic piano sound that many people like in EPs. I think that XV + SRX has a little bit more realistic samples & feel.
Anyway S80 is very very good and has the right price.
As for realistic piano playing i found XV far better than anything i tried before. Always in my opinion and without having one (XV) in my hands yet.

PS: S80 & S30 are keyboard synths so if you need a rack module then 3080 is the best you could buy.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online