SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#70566 - 09/26/10 01:39 AM Re: loading midi to files
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
With the greatest respect I think maybe we're missing Joe's point. Seems to me he's got CDs (he calls them DVDs) with loads of midi files on which he wants to transfer IN BULK to an SD Card...and in the process have them available on that SD Card in such a way that he can find them immediately using the KN7000 facility of searching alphabetically....
So they need to be loaded to the same area that style files would be loaded and not to the midi area which latter cannot be subsequently searched alphabetically.
Am I right Joe?

#70567 - 09/26/10 02:18 AM Re: loading midi to files
rotty Offline

Loc: england
Brilliant you are spot on.
I called them dvd because some have 80,000 midi files on and I thought they must be a dvd to have such a high capacity.Sorry if this confused matters.
What you said is exactly what i am trying to do
I have been around technics for many years and owned most of the keyboards and 5 dig piano's.
I bought the kn7000 and was so pleased with that when a brand new one came up I bought that
so this is my second kn7000.
For my age I understand some tech bought I certainly have a limited knowledge and the first to admit that.
What would i do without the help of this forum.I would be stuck in the old days i I was a member of the technics club and could
phone up for any help.
I do not want to use the midi as a styles I just want to put it in that area as to me it seems a quicker way.
Many Thanks joe

#70568 - 09/26/10 02:26 AM Re: loading midi to files
rotty Offline

Hi Bill,
Finally, you state "...I can save styles to computer and then save to a s.d card in very large batches instantly." Would you care to explain in more detail, exactly what you mean by this ?
I save say 20 styles to the computer, then add different ones say another 10 save them to the s.d card and the kn 7000 reads it as 30 styles.

regards joe

#70569 - 09/26/10 05:31 AM Re: loading midi to files
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Rog and Joe, as has been stated, you cannot load MIDI files directly into the area which the Style Files occupy - or indeed any of the Technics File areas - to allow the use of the Technics Alphabetical search. The two formats are just not compatible.

Alec's method of pre-selecting the MIDI files into Alphabetical Groups, before copying into Playlists, will produce a simple alternative to the Technics search and is the easiest solution. It does require a bit of effort to pre-organise / select the files into groups, rather than just grabbing a bunch of randomly named files to process into Playlists.

However, as has also been mentioned, there is a method which will allow Alphabetic searching using the Technics system, but it is a bit long-winded, if - as in Joe's case- the user has very many MIDI files. Unfortunately, you can only process one MIDI file at a time, rather than multiple files in a single transfer operation, using Alec's procedure.

Load the MIDI File (Which is normally a Sequence) into the KN7000 sequencer as an NX file ( GM/GM2 > NX) and then re-save the Sequencer as a Technics Sequence. This also allows you to carry out some modifications to the MIDI file - should you wish to do so - such as transposing the key and also substituting the KN7000's superior sounds for the generic MIDI sounds, before you finally save the Sequence to a Technics Folder on the SD Card. Note that there is no point in selecting any options other than 'SEQUENCER' on page 2 of the SD Save dialog - just select 'ALL OFF' and then turn on the 'SEQUENCER' option.

With regard to the use of EMC Styleworks to create a Style from a Midi Sequence, when I used that program back in my KN6000 days, I was not impressed with the results. I found the program to be very good at converting Styles from other manufacturer's keyboards to Technics format, but was disappointed with the MIDI to Style creation, except for MIDI files which were pretty basic and only had a few tracks. As you stated Alec, without some extra work, the results were often a bit 'Hit and Miss' . On this basis, I would not recommend the program purely for MIDI to Style creation, hence my previous remarks - just my opinion....

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70570 - 09/26/10 11:15 AM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Alec's method of pre-selecting the MIDI files into Alphabetical Groups, before copying into Playlists, will produce a simple alternative to the Technics search and is the easiest solution. It does require a bit of effort to pre-organise / select the files into groups, rather than just grabbing a bunch of randomly named files to process into Playlists.

No effort required at all, copy 999 midis to a folder on your pc and they are automatically arranged alphabetically! Then select the "A"s and drag to the IMEXPORT folder and input to playlist A on the 7000. Empty IMEXPORT and repeat for the "B"s. You effectively have the same alpha look up as the technics alpha sort, at effort at least a hundred times faster than loading and saving a thousand individual midis as a technics files...

As far as the midi to style it worked well enough if you listened to the midi and selected the appropriate options first, the floppy version for use in the keyboard also had manual selections which significantly improved results.

#70571 - 09/26/10 11:41 AM Re: loading midi to files
rotty Offline

I want to thank all of you for your help.
I will now sit-down and get this sorted.

Regards joe

#70572 - 09/26/10 04:35 PM Re: loading midi to files
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I always format a new SD Card in the Technics KN7000 before loading anything from the PC in order that the KN can easily recognise the data and I was wondering whether it would be wise for Rotty to do this, or isn't it necessary with midi files?

Audrey

#70573 - 09/27/10 04:04 AM Re: loading midi to files
technicsplayer Offline

inexperienced users should always format in the 7k.

Historically a fat format on the pc enabled many more technics files to be accommodated on small sd cards due to the smaller cluster size, as much as up to 30% increase in technics/midi saves compared to a 7k format. The downside is that digital audio will not be available on a pc fat format card, just technics and midi files.

However nowadays for cheap 1GB cards it's immaterial since you can't fill a 1GB card within the menu system capacity of technics/midi without my special tricks to go beyond the 99 folder limit.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online