SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70353 - 07/06/10 06:25 AM Technics SX-KN3000 - some strange 'distorted phase' noise
damian Offline

Hi
Recently I bought an used Technics SX-KN3000 Electronic Keyboard/Arranger. The problem is that while playing any sound preset/bank I can hear some 'phase distorted sound’. After releasing a key the sound is still audible for about 1 second (depends on the instrument preset) and then violently disappears. It doesn't got anything to do with effects, because it's audible when effects are on and off.

I checked all the menu thinking, that there can be some 'hidden' thing/effects what makes that noise, however I didn't find anything. The problem exists on any volume. The level of the distorted sound is NOT changing with velocity, so whether I pressing the key strong or soft the distorted sound is on the same level/volume. I checked and the distortion exist on built-in speakers, line out and headphones out. The noise is not so loud, however I would like to record loops into logic, so the sound quality is important.

I Reseted the keyboard to the factory settings with no results. also i plugged some other instrument to line in and when the other instrument is playing thru the keyboard amp no distortion is audible.

In few words while playing on the keyboard - percussion, pianos etc. there is like two sounds coming out - one, which should be audible and 2nd is the noise, which shouldn't be.

...so does any know the reason and how can it be fixed? Is it broken? thanks in advance for your reply and sorry for my english (it's my foreign language). Hope you understand me.

[This message has been edited by damian (edited 07-06-2010).]

#70354 - 07/07/10 01:14 PM Re: Technics SX-KN3000 - some strange 'distorted phase' noise
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi.

It can be complex, and it might be a easy solution.....

I seem to remember a similiar question sometime in the past, and the problem
back then was that the modulation wheel was not pulled back so it was not in
off position.

Other reasons might be electromagnetic radiation from sorrounding equipment,
and of course, it can be a fault in the KN's hardware.

This just striked my mind when see your post, hope your problems can be solved
in an easy way. KN3000 is a still a wonderful keyboard, even if it's some years
since the production.

Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#70355 - 07/07/10 02:52 PM Re: Technics SX-KN3000 - some strange 'distorted phase' noise
HarryG Offline

Loc: Germany
Hi,

my English is not good either. I hope you can understand me.

It is this problem more often. Usually it was either the pitch bend wheel, or at even more of the Foot Switch socket behind Key. In the menu for the controller settings are at the Footswitch settings and the effect of GLIDE. When the SW1 and SW2 is turned on, it may be that the socket on the rear has a short circuit that is triggered by the shock to the housing while playing, and then the GLIDE effect permanently activated, and thus lower the keyboard one semitone but only the right hand. The auto accompaniment is not affected, ergo the whole sounds entirely obliquely, of course.

Adjusting for the o.g. Footswitch controller settings instead of the glide effect once a different effect, and test times, whether the pitch will drop still occurs. If not, it is certainly due to the rear jack. Or do you have a pedal connected to the jack, which is possibly defective. Then pull the plug out of the pedal once and test whether the drop is still pitch.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online