SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#70307 - 06/29/10 08:47 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Tell me Bob, am I the only one out there who uses the Sd Audio Synchro features on this keyboard?
Personaly, I'm using it to add singing voices on my midi songs but one could add a real guitar solo for example...Even if you're that good at your keyboard, you can never beat a real good guitar solo I think.

And I was also wondering if this feature is unique to the KN-7000.
Sorry for the delay. Been out of town.

I am not aware of anyone else that is using that feature, Serge. Nor am I aware of anyone else using the 10 song sequence feature with the KN7000. But there's lots of stuff I don't know . . . I'm sure if anyone on the forum is using that feature they will let us know.

I think the synchro feature was carried over to the KN2600 but am not certain. I gave my KN2600 away after I found a backup KN7000 and have no way to check.

The number of ways the KN7000 can be used is only limited by the ingenuity of those of us that use it.

#70308 - 06/29/10 11:11 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
The advantage of using the SD Audio feature is not for everyone I guess... I would say it is rather useful for people who go out for gigs and need extra 'live voices' to accompany them while singing and playing the KN (like I do with my partner).

The beauty of it is that when I go out for a gig, I only bring my KN, a small mixer to blend the KN output with 2 microphones, and 2x200 watts powered speakers.

Everything is on my 1G SD Card:

All the MIDI songs that I need to play live with 'real' back voices and well over 8 hours of dance music which I put on while we take a rest between sets.

And my SD Card is only half filled!

By the way, Bob, I used to own a KN2600 too, and the SD Audio Synchro was on it.

#70309 - 06/29/10 03:20 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
The problem occurs with Audio synchro when the audio is half a semitone different from the keyboard - I've found...

? SD audio synchro is a time function, not pitch. It enables audio and sequencer to start simultaneously, advancing or delaying the sequencer playback compared to the audio.

#70310 - 07/01/10 01:56 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Great but what if they are in different keys?

#70311 - 07/01/10 03:53 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RMepstead:
Great but what if they are in different keys?

then it will sound like Les Dawson's piano!

Transposing the sequencer or live play is extremely simple on the KN, mostly it consists of finding the transpose button on the panel.

Alternatively if you can only play in a specific key, a professional editor like Audition can change pitch of the audio without changing the song length over a couple of semitones with very little effect on quality, cheaper programs being spectacularly unsuccessful in that respect.

However I would say the whole point of playing along with karaoke audio like the Sunfly dvds is you have the exact song backing so are accompanying e.g. Nelson Riddles' original arrangement played on real instruments rather than a repetitive backing sequence, so transposing would seem at odds if authenticity is that object. In any event nothing to do with SD audio syncro.

#70312 - 07/01/10 05:26 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
mordicus Offline

Is there a way of showing on this site a comparison of two Mp3s ? One with the Kn7000 sequencer alone and one with the sequencer, the keyboard playing and the full singing voices ?

So everybody would see the exact application of the Sd Audio synchro.

#70313 - 07/01/10 05:58 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bob Hendershot Offline

I don’t think that can be done, Serge. But it would be enlightening.

It seems to me that there is a fine line that each of us needs to find for our own methods of playing. When you are entertaining a bunch of people, it is usually best to try to emulate the popular version of a song and that often means playing along with MIDI, a MP3, or something similar. But when we play that way we miss a lot of the satisfaction of creating our own version of the song with our own arrangement. When we are playing at home just for our own enjoyment, we can go so far as to be little more than a disk jockey or so basic that we play the keyboard like a piano with no accompaniment at all. Somewhere in between is the right place for each of us.

#70314 - 07/02/10 04:11 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I agree with you Bob. I like to 'tweak' the styles and voices of the KN7 and save to SD Card. I play at regular venues with almost always the same people listening so to avoid boredom, I like to vary my programme.

However, no matter what I do, there is always someone who'll request I play the old 'favourites'. As the saying goes "you cannot please everyone all of the time"

It is interesting to hear how other people use their keyboards and SD cards though. From all the input so far, I'd say this is why the KN7000 is still the "King" because there is so much you can do with it and it is so much more 'User Friendly than other keyboards.

Long may it reign!

Audrey

#70315 - 07/02/10 06:28 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
mordicus Offline

I found a way to show you my Sd Audio Synchro workout.

Here is a partial Beatles's 'Drive my car' cover from us.

This link to an mp3 showing my kn7 playing the sequencer alone with my on board back voice (on the Sd card).
http://www.4shared.com/audio/G-eoBghI/DriveMyKn7_Alone.html

And this second link to an mp3 showing the same...plus my keyboard playing and our two front voices.
http://www.4shared.com/audio/lMRT__o7/DriveMyKn7_All_Dressed.html

#70316 - 07/03/10 06:22 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bob Hendershot Offline

Most folks would say that both versions were good, Serge. There is no doubt that the second version is better, with more depth. You could repeat the process over and over and layer your own voice or hers like Les Paul and Mary Ford did. I could find no disparity in timing.

I just don't have the patience . . .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online