SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70297 - 06/27/10 06:13 PM Continuing the SD card topic
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I have read many posts where people disagreed and debated and everyone was right. What needs to be added to any opinion is what I am trying to accomplish and the reason for selecting my method.

THE SD CARD AND HOW TO USE IT EFFECTIVELY?

Bernie’s post was good. He used the SD card to store song settings and then uses My Favorites to call them up. This leaves the registration memory for instruments that he favors. Great, but he does not state his reason for using this method in favor of other methods.

This was my method before retiring from playing out.
People are dancing and I want to get to the next type of song as quickly as I can. I also need to know what song I want to play next. Speed and a list of songs to chose from are essential.

Example; I am playing New York New York – I open the panel memory banks and I have 13 banks, eight on a page to chose from. I am still playing the first song and I find LeRoy Brown, Bank 2 memory #4. As soon as the ending of my first song finishes I push #4 and Leroy Brown begins its introduction. I have accomplished what I needed – It is fast, very fast and I had a list to chose from – and the dancers are still on the floor.

The downside is that I lose the use of the Registrations to add different instrument setups. I have tried to work around that problem by saving my style with my own OTS settings. I can use Favorites on the right side of the keyboard to add a different instrument but that only changes a single instrument not a complete setup. Is there a faster way? I’m open.

Now that I am retired and my needs have changed I will be using the SD card differently. I am hoping that reading the older posts on this subject and reading what may be added here on this post will help. (Options) If Bob and Roger are willing to give an outline of how they are using the SD card I am sure I/we will all benefit.

John C.

#70298 - 06/27/10 08:15 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I think we need a little more from you, John. For example, how many panel memories do you tend to use in a single song?

First I should say that in my opinion there is no right or wrong way to do anything with the KN7000. Whatever works for someone is right for him or her. But, their selection of a method may create limitations in use of the keyboard. Having said that, this is an attempt to describe what I do.

Most songs can be broken down into four sections. Usually it starts with section A, then it repeats section A. It then moves to section B and after that, returns to section A. There can be bridges and that sort of stuff but these sections are usually easily identified. I tend to want some sort of voicing and/or rhythm change for each of those sections. Sometimes it’s a major change in rhythm and/or voicing. Sometimes it may be as simple as muting or adding one of the composer parts. The point is, I tend to need a minimum of four panel memories as I progress through a song. If there is a bridge, I tend to want a different panel memory assigned for that. If the song is played through a second time, I want four entirely new registrations and rhythms for that. So, I usually need a minimum of 8 panel memories set up for a single song. Ever wonder why there are 8 panel memories in each bank? That tends to fit the minimum needs of a song . . . Without those changes a song can quickly get boring. Larry Gosmeyer’s stuff is a prime example of how lots of voicing and rhythm changes make a song sound so much better. He is a gifted arranger.

With hundreds of songs in a library, it’s a good idea to keep things as orderly as possible for each song. So, I always start every song at panel memory bank A, memory 1. My next panel memory is put at memory A2, the next at A3 and so on. It is easy to use a foot switch to increment panel memories at the appropriate time. If more than 8 memories are needed, the next increment will move the panel memory progression to bank B memory 1. And it continues from there for 24 possible panel memories. I have never found a need to use panel memory banks other than A, B, and C. So, when a new registration is needed, a simple touch of the foot switch selects the next panel memory needed for that part of the song. Your eyes don’t even need to look at the keyboard.

After the keyboard is set up for a song, I save the entire keyboard using the default selections of the SD save menu. The song setup is saved in a SD memory location and named appropriately for that song. I am cautious to make certain that the Sequencer is empty unless I have a sequence that will be used. I want an empty sequencer file saved with the song so that if anything exists in the sequencer it is deleted in the load process. So, that save contains, as a minimum, a complete unique sound file with whatever edits are used for that song as well as 24 panel memories, Composer memories A, B, and C with all their variations, a sequencer file, and a current panel file that has the keyboard set up for the start of the song. I seldom use Performance Pads but the file is there because it is one of the defaults of the save process. Whatever is in the Effect memory is also saved.

John, this is not all that different than the process you needed to follow to set up your music finder database for the T-3.

In an earlier post I went through the process that I use to select and play the songs. I tend to use SD Favorite Songs (not the favorites button at the bottom right of the keyboard) for song selection. It’s as simple as pressing the yellow SD button, then selecting Favorite Songs from the display, and pushing the single button that is next to the song I want. I play from lead sheets. The SD memory location is noted on each lead sheet, and in those rare occasions where I want a song that I have not put into the SD Favorite Songs list, I load the song by number based on the notes I have on the music sheet. It usually takes a few more seconds to load by number than using the favorite songs menu.

I guess I should say that I consider a medley as a single song as it relates to use of the SD card. So all the songs of a medley need to share common files of the save and load process.

#70299 - 06/28/10 03:11 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good post, Bob
We work in the same way, and I would like to remind everyone about the alphabetical search in addition to numerical. There have been times I didn't have the number handy. Choose alphabetical, go to first letter of song, and all A's, or whatever, are right there.

#70300 - 06/28/10 04:11 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic

Bob and Bernie, Thank you, I will now I'll get into what you have written. Much appreciated.

John C.

#70301 - 06/28/10 09:34 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi there!
Want to see another way of using the SD card and how the KN-7000 can adapt to many kinds of applications?
First let me tell you that I personaly use extensively the 16 tracks sequencer on board rather than the autocords. I love to fool around arranging and recording each single tracks on a song. You see, I'm basically a composer and arranger but I also play in a musical Duo gigging out at times playing Classical Rock and Pop Music. So using the sequencer is a must for me and my female musical partner.
What I do is make all the arrangements and settings on one single MIDI song and then press the panel write button in the Sequencer menu to record the settings, then save it INDIVIDUALLY to the SD card by navigating to the 3rd saving screen on the SD Save menu. I have over 70 original MIDI songs recorded this way ready for playing live.
And to go faster while playing live I also use the sequencer play option(10 songs)...Let's say that I name one particular sequencer file "Set #1". Then I load every single MIDI song using the 3rd load screen on the SD Load menu filling up the 10 spaces then I save it back using this time the 2nd saving screen on the SD Save menu...but you have to unselect(no) every tag except the sequencer one(yes). This way, when you load back onto the machine this "Set #1", you're only loading the sequencer with all the 10 MIDI songs (or less) with their original settings.
Let me tell you this is pretty fast and useful while playing live. With only 2 single loads, you have over 1 hour of music. All you have to do is navigate through the sequencer play menu from song 1 to 10.
I'd like also to talk about a great feature that I use which I think the Tyros 3 does not have(Ha Ha, I see interesting discussions coming up!)...

The SD Audio Synchro feature.

Up to now, I did not see anybody talk about this feature but this thing is pretty useful to me and my partner while singing songs that need more than 2 voices live.
How do I work around with that special feature?...What I do is put my MIDI file on a my computer with a program like Cubase or Sonar and then record live the needed extra voices with my partner, saving'em back to a mp3 format file and shooting it back through the Panasonic USB reader onto the SDcard.
Now what I have to do is load the original MIDI file, go to SD Audio Synchro, and choose the playlist number(mp3 file on the Sd), saving it all back to the SD Card....
And you're asking me...what is that "Tempo Adjust" thing for?... This is because 2 differents computers can have 2 differents clock timings. In this case, the Kn-7000 and my computer(those guys at Panasonic we're simply genius!), so you can have a gap building up while playing the MIDI file song and the mp3 (which is a wave) together. The Tempo Adjust will correct this.
...It took me a while going through and understanding this whole thing by myself. The instruction manual is not very clear about it. So I'm very happy to share my own experiences(if it may help) with other KN-7000 owners.

Cheers,

Serge

#70302 - 06/28/10 11:15 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic

Serge,
Nice is the word that pops into my head – Nice of you to take the time to share with others so they may benefit. I purchased a Kn7000 and then I went looking for help on this forum for the things I have forgotten or never knew and a Bob, Bernie, Roger and now Serge steps up to help. Again, NICE.

I have saved each post on this subject and will be using your ideas to create what I am looking for.

Thank you, John

#70303 - 06/28/10 12:32 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I remember a Canadian with the name Serge that taught me how to create 10 song sequencer files for the KN5000 about 12-14 years ago. His knowledge resulted in the article with that subject that still resides on my old KN5000 “How To” web site that is now hosted by Gunnar Johnny. It was a very popular process in those days because it took so very long to load files from the floppy disk.

I’m not sure you are the same man Serge, but in any event, we welcome you, and value your input to this forum.

#70304 - 06/28/10 03:59 PM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
mordicus Offline

Loc: Montreal
Hi Bob,

No I'm not that Serge but I'm canadian too...and I used to own a KN-2000 that I bought new in 1994.
I let the KN-3000 and KN-5000 pass me by, then I jumped directly to the KN-6500 a few years ago, quite a big step for me!
I kept it only one year and upgraded to my actual keyboard(KN-7000) and I still don't see the day when I'm going to part from this baby.

Tell me Bob, am I the only one out there who uses the Sd Audio Synchro features on this keyboard?
Personaly, I'm using it to add singing voices on my midi songs but one could add a real guitar solo for example...Even if you're that good at your keyboard, you can never beat a real good guitar solo I think.

And I was also wondering if this feature is unique to the KN-7000.

#70305 - 06/29/10 01:04 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
The problem occurs with Audio synchro when the audio is half a semitone different from the keyboard - I've found...

#70306 - 06/29/10 02:32 AM Re: Continuing the SD card topic

Tell me Bob, am I the only one out there who uses the Sd Audio Synchro features on this keyboard? Posted by Serge

Just my 2 cents;
I have a Midi Disk recorder plugged into my mixer and the mixer has a place for my Ipod so that I can record directly to either a wave type of file or to MP3 format. In the same rack I have an Equalizer and a BBE for enhancement if desired. I can play back on one recorder and re-record and the second recorder giving me multiple recordings. Just a thought because it is simple and very effective. Is there an advantage using the SD Audio Syncho? (I have knowledge here)

The unique part of my mixer, and I purchased it for this reason, is that it has all the controls needed to operate my Ipod and it records anything played into the mixer. When I sync the Ipod to my computer I can select the songs I want and burn a CD.

Last night I give much thought to this subject of SD card and it is all starting to come together. Before this weeks ends I will post my new system working with the SD card. (Thanks to the people on this post)

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online