SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#7023 - 08/07/06 03:37 PM Buying older gear.
analogcontrolfreak Offline

I was just on the VSE BBS, and found a thread on buying older gear. A gentleman was asking if it was worth buying older gear? Me personally, I am through with buying older gear. My Omni is 30 years old and is acting a bit tempermantal, so is my poly-61, which is 24 years old. I have already spent a bit of money on getting the omni fixed once, and I really don't feel, like getting the omni fixed again. Besides, with the advancement in software, I could find a virtual version of an ARP synth, for less then the price of getting, my omni fixed.

Not only that, but the advancement in digital technology, is astounding, and synths tend to hold up better then they used to. Well, better the most eraly analog synths. But, this is just my oppinion.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 08-08-2006).]

#7024 - 08/08/06 07:12 AM Re: Buying older gear.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
To answer your question I too have given up on bying vintage gear. Older synths can mean anything. So I guess you meant vintage. The oldest vintage synth I have is a DX7 and that pretty much has the insides of a remote control or a calculator. Because it is basically a calculator.
TO be honest I'm a little tempted by revived Prophet 5s, used ARP Solinas, SH-5s and stuff like that but I know what owning a vintage analog synth is all about and I quite frankly just don't have the drive. Not that I don't have the ear to tell a real analog synth from VA but the othenticity isn't worth the hassle for me.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-08-2006).]

#7025 - 08/08/06 07:27 AM Re: Buying older gear.

Did not realize I said: " I really don't feel, like getting fixed again."

BTW: I edited my post.

Yeah! I meant vintage.

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 08-08-2006).]

#7026 - 08/08/06 07:37 AM Re: Buying older gear.
3351 Offline

Just edited mine too.

Talked to my dealer. He's checking if he could order the DSI evolver right now. I think I made up my mind.

At least the latest reply from Access inspired me to. No more waiting.

-ED-

#7027 - 08/08/06 11:39 AM Re: Buying older gear.

Yeah, I'd go with the DSI Evolver, instead of waitng on the TI.

#7028 - 08/08/06 12:27 PM Re: Buying older gear.
3351 Offline

My dealer cannot order one for me. I found the store that can and it will still take several weeks for the Evolver to ship. BTW I'm getting an Evolver keyboard but not the poly version. The Poly Evolver is too expensive for a four voice synth.

I'll place an order tomorrow at the latest. Stil haven't canceled my TI order but I think I have plenty of time to do it. It will be months and months before Access will ship. If ever that is. I think they are going under. Just a feeling I get. Long production delays usually mean trouble. Especially with small companies like Access.

Okay. Will keep you posted on my progress with DSI. BTW the desktop model is pretty inexpensive. Same features but only 8 knobs. Anyway, just a thought. You may hate the thing.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 08-08-2006).]

#7029 - 08/08/06 02:07 PM Re: Buying older gear.
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Ed
The acces virus T1 is normal in stock in several shops in europe.

#7030 - 08/08/06 02:47 PM Re: Buying older gear.

Yeah, I was notcieng that the desktop model, which was the frist Evolver, is really cheap. The reason why it is rather inexpnsive, because it only has 8 knobs, plus fewer features then on it big brothers. The polyevolver rack is slightly cheaper then the Poly eveolver keyboard, minus the knobs.

If, I were to get another hardware synth, I would consider getting the Alesis ION. I always thought that was a cool synth. Also the MS2000. Oops! I'm getting ahead of myslef.

#7031 - 08/16/06 05:54 PM Re: Buying older gear.
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
My oldest synth is an SH-7. I don't play it much but it is in great shape (probably because I don't play it much). I'm not a collector either, I used to use it but not anymore. The filters just seem so "jappy" to me these days. I think my hearing is becoming more sensitive as I know for sure that my eyesight is getting worse.

#7032 - 08/17/06 01:54 AM Re: Buying older gear.

Yeah Morph,I hardly play the omni, well not that I ever "PLAYED" it, never knew, how to play a string synth? The real reason for buying the Omni was, back in the late 1990's, during the vintage synth revival. Plus I got a good deal on it. As for the Poly-61, that was only because, I never could find any information on the Poly-61 on the net. So I started to post info on it. Eventually starting my own web site, on the Poly-61. Which is being tempermental at the momnet.

I decided just a few months ago, to try my hand at soft synths. Bought one of KORG's latest controller keyboards. However it is being held up by KORG, and has not been released yet. Was supoosed to be released back in May of this year, then July, and now it looks like August. I really wish I knew what was going on?

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 08-17-2006).]

[This message has been edited by analogcontrolfreak (edited 08-18-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online