SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7005 - 11/27/04 05:07 PM Synth Orchestrations/Piano
D00R Offline

I am looking for help to acomplish what I want to achieve for my music.
I want to add Orchestration, Piano, and sampleing.

The only KeyBoard I was recomended to by was the Motif ES 8. But I was overwhelmed with the price and all the unneeded extra sounds. leaving feeling underwhelmed, that I can't create what I want for my music.

I have been wandering the internet with out a clue to which product is suitable for my needs and found this Forumn.

Any help?

call me D00R

#7006 - 11/28/04 04:54 AM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
to the genesys Offline

There is also the Motif ES 6. Fantum x 6 and one of the Triton lines with 61 keys. Those would be cheaper than the Motif 8. You may also want to check out softsynths like gigger sampler and reason.

#7007 - 11/28/04 02:15 PM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
D00R Offline

the other motifs are limited to the amount of keys, doesnt that limit the range of sound?

are soft synths computer programs? im really looking for a hands on piano for live performances.

i read a fare share of poor reactions to the motif. are there any other companies beside yamaha that sell a product capable to acheive what i want?
Orchestrations, Sampleing, Piano.

#7008 - 11/28/04 03:54 PM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
to the genesys Offline

If you already have an 88 key keyboard, then the Roland Fantum module would have what you want. If you need something with 88 keys, then Roland, Korg and Yamaha are perhaps the only real choices you have to do what you want. The Roland Fantum X 8 to me would be the best thing that would have what you want.

TTG

#7009 - 11/28/04 06:16 PM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
D00R Offline

i was going to be playing guitar live, vocals.

and my band mate would be playing key board. moslty piano.

and i would have the orchestrations and sampleing played i supposed pre recorded on my
Digital br-8 recording studio.

im going to check out the Korg right now. and the fantom module.

im really looking for realistic piano and strings. thanks for these recomendations. im about to look into it.

more sugestions would be great though.

D00R

[This message has been edited by D00R (edited 11-28-2004).]

#7010 - 11/28/04 08:44 PM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
D00R Offline

i looked at the roland on the internet.

i found it to be the same price as the motif. so im torn to which is the better purchace.

i got an opinion from my friend that roland was told to him by his music teacher to be lower compared to yamaha.

anyone know the comparisons?

D00R

#7011 - 11/28/04 09:18 PM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Yamaha piano sounds are very bright, perfect for pop, rock, country music, etc. Not good for orchestral type classical or jazz. The Motif ES has somewhere on the order of 170 megs of ROM. The Fantom has 128. The Motif spends a lot more wave rom on guitars, basses, etc. They call it megavoices. But, with Roland, you must not forget the SRX expansions.
SRX-02 Concert Piano. adds 64 megs of a very nice piano. The piano in the Fantom X is already superb, but the SRX gives you still another choice.
SRX-04. Symphonique strings. 64 megs of lush string sections, complete with various articulations. No solo strings on this board.
SRX-10 Dynamic Brass. 64 megs of trumpets, trombones, french horns, and tuba. With many articulations. No solo instruments; only sections, except for tuba. that is solo
SRX-06, Complete Orchestra. 64 megs for everything else you need. Solo strings, solo brass, more ensemble strings, woodwinds, (including bass clarinet; how many other keyboards have bass clarinet?)orchestral percussion, harps, harpsichord, and vocal choirs.

Total, 384 megs of sounds; almost all completely taylored to your piano/orchestral needs.
Not to mention, you can expand it further with your own samples, up to another 500 megs; though this will take more investment, both time and money.

Good orchestral sounds are the hardest thing for keyboard manufacturers to produce. There are so many nuances of acoustic instruments so it's hard to cram it all into a keyboard. This is where Roland excells; they make expansion boards in great variety so you can customize your board for the genres of music you produce. But you cannot be afraid of spending money, or you'll end up with cheesy sounds that will leave you unsatisfied every time.

#7012 - 11/29/04 01:16 AM Re: Synth Orchestrations/Piano
D00R Offline

thank you. im going to look further into it. going to the store for a hands on feel now.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online