SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#70014 - 03/01/10 08:26 PM mp3 to wav
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello again, my music colleagues and friends,

Can anyone suggest how to transform music saved in the .mp3 format to .wav form? Or perhaps there is some program you know about that will do that for me. If you have any suggestions, you can respond here or directly to my e-mail (trose@wisc.edu).

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ted Rose

#70015 - 03/02/10 01:56 AM Re: mp3 to wav
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Ted

Audacity will do the job and it's free
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

john

#70016 - 03/02/10 02:42 AM Re: mp3 to wav
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
'Switch Sound File Converter' is the easiest one I have come across and it also does Batch Conversion - ie several files at once. It can do conversions to and from most Audio Formats and it's free
http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index_b.html?gclid=CJD9yIPvmaACFRQulAodghjndw

During installation, you will be asked if you would like to add extra programs from a list. If you don't want them, just don't tick the boxes.......

Have Fun!

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70017 - 03/03/10 08:28 PM Re: mp3 to wav
Ted Rose Offline

Thanks so much, John and Bill, for your suggestions. I haven't yet had a chance to try those sites you suggest, but one of these days soon, I'm sure they will be just what I was seeking. I know I can always count on you great guys to provide answers to all perplexing problems, musical and otherwise! Many thanks.

TED

#70018 - 03/04/10 07:55 AM Re: mp3 to wav
kitkat Offline

SWITCH is a great program for converting music. Ted, I have to ask the question, why do you want to take an .mp3 file and make it a .wav? As I understand it, once a file is compressed, as in this case, to an .mp3 you cannot bring back the dynamics of a .wav file. This is comparable to taking a .jpg image and making it a .tiff. As you probably know, a .jpg image is highly compressed compared to a .tiff. Perhaps someone may know more than I do and explain this better.

Mark

#70019 - 03/04/10 11:04 AM Re: mp3 to wav
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Could be because Ted wants to burn a 'normal' CD Standard CD players will not play MP3 files, so if you are prepared to accept less than full CD quality then a conversion to .WAV will do the job.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70020 - 03/05/10 09:04 AM Re: mp3 to wav
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill. I never gave thought for the purpose of a CD. I was thinking more of it being a file and Ted trying to bring dynamics back to a .wav.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online