SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69926 - 02/04/10 04:26 PM Slim Whitman music
chriswil22 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi, I've been searching for the music for My China Doll by Slim Whitman , but have had no sucess.I wonder if anyone can help
Chris

#69927 - 02/12/10 03:23 PM Re: Slim Whitman music
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Chris,

I recognise this song, but my PC cannot find it - is this the correct title, or the first line of the song?

Audrey

#69928 - 02/12/10 06:20 PM Re: Slim Whitman music
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Hi there,
I have been searching for this music for quite a long time and finally gave it up as a bad job. I looked for pdf's, bmp's, jpg's, and every other type of image file I could think of, but without success. Such a shame as it's such a nice cheerful, bouncy song.
My China Doll is the correct title and you can hear Slim's rendering of the tune on You Tube.
Times like these are when I envy people who can play by ear - I just can't manage without the dots.

#69929 - 02/13/10 04:07 AM Re: Slim Whitman music
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Chris & Audrey - Check your email

Anthony - I need your email address..........

John

Times like these are when I envy people who can play by ear - I just can't manage without the dots.[/B][/QUOTE]

#69930 - 02/13/10 04:10 PM Re: Slim Whitman music
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Chris,

I guess you will have received a copy of the dots from John North. He also kindly sent me a copy which was a lovely surprise and I will have a go at playing it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, like you, I envy 'ear players' and to "rub salt in the wound" I have two brothers and a daughter who all play by ear. My daughter in particular, is very good at it, she hears a new tune and goes to the piano and can play it straight away. She uses what Peter Hayward calls "the magic notes" meaning she uses black notes only, which is why most people can sing to her music.

If it's any consolation, a senior friend who is also an 'ear player' said he now envies me because whilst playing, his mind often wanders or goes completely blank and he cannot remember where to go next, whereas of course, we have the advantage of reading the dots.

It is an interesting subject though, as no one seems able to explain why some people have this gift ans others don't. I guess we'll never know the answer.

Have fun playing your tune.

Audrey

#69931 - 02/14/10 03:18 PM Re: Slim Whitman music
chriswil22 Offline

Loc: Scotland
Quote:
Originally posted by chriswil22:
Hi, I've been searching for the music for My China Doll by Slim Whitman , but have had no sucess.I wonder if anyone can help
Chris

hi, Just want to thank John for music. Very much appreciated
Chris

#69932 - 02/15/10 11:34 AM Re: Slim Whitman music
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I'll add to Chris's thanks.
Within 10 minutes of sending my email address to John, the dots were in my inbox.
Members like John are what makes SynthZone tick. Without people like him and, of course, Nigel & SZ, our hobby wouldn't be half as enjoyable.
Thanks again,
Tony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online