SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69650 - 12/10/09 03:31 AM Recording into the Composer
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Can I ask a very basic question please. I normally use built in rhythms or those I have downloaded when playing my KN7000, but thought its about time I had a go at producing my own. I have read the manual and been following Bills (Norrie) tutorial 'Creating a New Style'. When the manual says "Record the performance in C major" when applied to chords does this mean any chord within the C Maj scale i.e. F, G, Amin etc or is it only a Cmaj chord, not very clear in the manual.

Also if I convert a midi file to a composer part, if I select say 8 bars, I know I have to transpose the sequence to C maj, does this also mean every chord within the 8 bars has to be changed to a C maj chord even if its a D min, F or G etc (which are within the scale of C maj).

Glen

#69651 - 12/10/09 07:49 AM Re: Recording into the Composer
technicsplayer Offline

1 C major only.

2 again C major only. However you could do say a 12 bar blues sequence with all the original chords as long as you start in C major (or set the transpose start to C major when doing the composer editing), it just means you cannot change left hand once the sequence has started playing. It will repeat the 12 bar sequence transposed from any starting chord on playback while you improvise above the split. At the end of the chord sequence just switch to a normal composer variation and play again below the split.

The Technote Americana pattern disks (originally for the KN3000 many years ago now) had variation 5 such a chord sequence composer, it was called the soloist variation. I also described how to create them in composer and pads in a tutorial in the original KN6000 book.

#69652 - 12/10/09 09:23 AM Re: Recording into the Composer
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Many thanks Alec, I thought that was the case. I was getting confused with a Cmaj scale and Cmaj chord.

Glen

#69653 - 12/10/09 05:18 PM Re: Recording into the Composer
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Alec ... always good to know you are around ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online