SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69584 - 11/30/09 02:27 PM Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Just wondering if anyone has upgraded to Windows 7 yet and if there are any problems with the Panasonic software and drivers. I believe Vista was not compatible with some of the software.

Glen

#69585 - 11/30/09 03:25 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I'm not going to 'upgrade' to Windows 7 for several reasons.
1. I have an Epson printer and Epson Scanner - neither of which are very old. I searched on Epson's website to see if they had Win. 7 drivers for these devices and found none. I contacted Epson and they informed me that they will not be producing drivers for the printer or scanner. So, not only would have to buy a copy of Windows 7, I would have to buy a new printer and scanner!

2. Several other programs which I use on a regular basis, work perfectly well with XP but will not work on Windows 7. I know this having tried them on a friend's PC, running Windows 7.

3. I very much doubt if the Technics software (Song Manager, SD Jukebox and Fred's SDExplorer) will work with Windows 7. I haven't had a chance to try these programs on my friend's PC, but hope to do so in the near future.

I believe Vista had an 'XP Compatiblity' mode but how well this worked, I don't know. Whether Windows 7 also includes this facility I'm not sure.
So, for the forseeable future, I'll stick with Windows XP - it does everything I want and seems to be very stable, now that Microsoft have ironed out most of the bugs and plugged many security holes.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69586 - 11/30/09 04:15 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
I was talking to a young fellow that worked in the computer department of Walmart the other day. He said that Microsoft really got it "right" this time and that older software that worked in XP will work in Windows 7. He seemed very knowledgeable. I am thinking of buying a new computer. Bill, I have had nothing but trouble with Windows XP Professional. I bought a top of the line computer on eBay because I couldn't buy XP when Vista came out in a retail store. This computer was custom made, has 500GB, 4GB of RAM and a very fast processor, which means nothing because I have dial-up where I am. DSL is not in the neighborhood. I also had a floppy drive installed - in other words, the works. It takes me at least four or five times to boot up. This is especially true when it is cold. Totally, a miserable computer.

Mark

#69587 - 11/30/09 04:46 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Mark,
You quoted "He said that Microsoft really got it "right" this time and that older software that worked in XP will work in Windows 7"
Well, that statement just is not true As I said in my previous post, I use several programs which work OK on XP but will not run on Windows 7. I believe that Windows 7 is a big improvement on Vista (Disaster!) but then any OS would be better than Vista

Your 'Boot-up' problem with your PC may not be directly related to Windows XP - could be hardware related or even your BIOS........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#69588 - 11/30/09 05:48 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill. Knowing well your knowledge of computers and your great website, I trust your expertise. I have a fairly new top of the line combination printer/scanner so that would not be a problem but I have old programs of Paint Shop Pro 6 and 7 that will NOT work in Vista so I am sure from what you are saying, they won't work in Windows 7. I have had this computer to local repair places and they haven't a clue as to why I have so many problems. I have two hard drives installed and what has happened three times is that the start up drive switches to the other drive and I can't boot up. It is a mess. The last time I had it in for repair, they unhooked the other hard drive to keep this from happening. I have 250GB of hard drive that it totally wasted. The SD card function wouldn't work because it wasn’t hooked up and the floppy drive wasn't hooked up. I contacted the seller on eBay and soon after, he would no longer respond. I ended up saying things to him that I will not repeat on the forum.

Mark

#69589 - 11/30/09 07:06 PM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
FYI.....

The XP PRO in my PC, built by a local merchant works just fine...

(I am a better 7K player than a computer operator so will not be able to answer many questions, if any!)

Sounds to me like you really bought big expensive lemon!!!

#69590 - 12/01/09 02:59 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Mark, It's sounding more and more like a BIOS problem on your PC.............

Aldous Huxley

#69591 - 12/01/09 03:49 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi All
I have been using Windows 7 since February and I can say it is the best Microsoft OS ever.
I have been working with computers since the early 80s, (With various OS) and while I would not recommend Vista to my worst enemy, I would have no problems recommending Windows 7.
Download the Windows 7 upgrade advisor http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx and this will tell you if there are any problems with hardware or software you use.
Although manufactures may not provide drivers for some of their equipment (My HP printer is one) Windows 7 contains plenty of basic driver software onboard, (My HP Printer works sweet as a nut) plus in most cases a Vista driver will work.
Compatibility mode is included with Windows 7 and it works well. (The compatibility mode in XP was a fingers crossed system)
If all else fails, if you have the Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows 7, you can download a free Virtual version of XP that integrates (You don’t need to switch Operating Systems) with Windows 7, so pretty much all bases are covered.
When buying a new computer I would recommend the 64bit version of Windows 7 as this is the future, however a lot of older hardware was never designed for a 64bit OS, so unfortunately you may need to upgrade some of your equipment.
If you are upgrading, go for a second hard drive and have a Dual Boot system, that way if you really need some old stuff, (That doesn’t work with the 64bit version of Windows 7) you can boot back into XP when you need to use it, and use Windows 7 for everything else.
As to problems booting, try updating your Motherboard BIOS, as it’s unlikely to be an XP problem, also check to make sure your computer power supply is big enough for all the hardware you have inside. (This is another cause of booting problems, and the fact that it works with less hardware connected could indicate a power supply problem)
Hope this helps

Bill

#69592 - 12/01/09 09:20 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
kitkat Offline

Thank you, both Bills. Abacus Bill, I have copied and pasted your post and will mention this to a repair place the next time I bring in the CPU. I know little to nothing about how a computer operates. All I want to do is turn it on and it work. Someone recently asked me what operating system I had. I replied that I had a Windows PMS31. It got a big laugh. What is so strange about this computer is that when the house is warm, it will generally come on the first time. When the house is cold, it takes about five times for it to eventually come on. It freezes in stages. I have what I guess is called a mother board, FATALITY. (?) It is a red screen showing this name before other screens show up. I often get a black screen with a bunch of writing, stating that Windows didn’t come up correctly and I see a bunch of numbers counting down to one and then other windows open up and it is finally booted up. As I said, it is a total mess.

Mark

#69593 - 12/01/09 11:07 AM Re: Anyone Tried Windows 7 Yet
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
For what it's worth, I've been following my computer magazine's reviews on the Windows 7 with great interest as I am thinking of either upgrading or buying a new PC. My present PC is a 7 year old 'E Machine which by design is very basic albeit I had several extras added when I bought it.

My understanding is that Microsoft are offering 4 different versions, the first two are NOT COMPATIBLE with Windows XP, the third and fourth versions are. Be aware there is a great price jump between the versions. I am interested in the third version (Windows 7 Professional) and have been quoted from £150-£220, however I was in Tescos yesterday and they have it for around £77.00 and yes! it is the genuine version.

I agree with Bill, it is better to go to a shop rather than the net, if only to read the specifications on the boxes, where it is clearly stated which versions are compatible with the XP Home.

Finally, my computer magazine also rates this new Microsoft system very highly. It also states that Microsoft have been working closely with printer manufacturers this time, in order to avoid the chaos caused when Vista was launched.

Hope this information helps.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 12-01-2009).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online