SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#69422 - 11/03/09 09:20 AM KN7000 Question/Problem
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi, everyone -

As most of us will agree when the KN7000 was made the company thought of about everything that could be created musically in it. However, I have come up with a slight problem that doesn’t seem to register in the keyboard and I think it should. I have composed a Latin style and play it in Pianist mode. I have it in a Panel Memory. On Right 1 is the standard Piano sound used. Right 2, I have Grand Piano 2 Oct. This is a great piano sound for Latin type music. Here lies the problem: Playing this Right 2 sound in Pianist mode it is too deep by playing in the normal section of the keyboard. I have to go up an octave to get the correct sound. I don’t like playing in that section of the keyboard in Pianist mode. I tried setting Right 2 with changing the Octave + and of course, it will work. This allows me to play in the normal section of the keyboard. The problem is that it also effects Right 1 that has the standard Piano sound. It is also raised an octave. Since I have saved only Right 2 with the octave change, why does it change Right 1 as well when I haven’t saved it? Am I doing something wrong? I haven’t tried this but I think I can go into Sound Edit, make an octave change there and then file the sound change in Sound Memory. I am hoping I don’t have to do this. I just mainly wanted others to know this and perhaps tell me if I am doing something wrong in my SET in Panel Memory.

Thanks,

Mark

#69423 - 11/03/09 11:37 AM Re: KN7000 Question/Problem
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Mark,

Here's how I would do it.

Go to PROGRAM MENUS (under the red button)

Press: SOUND (top left of screen that
appears.

Press: PART SETTING (top left of screen plus
'PIANO' will be shown in centre of screen.

Part 1: KEY SHIFT - make sure this is '0'

Part 2: KEY SHIFT - press the down button underneath it until -12 shows (you can go down 2 octaves -24 if you wish)

When you're happy with your sets, EXIT and save to one of the Panel Memories.

You can also use the PAN button to push Rt.1 to top of keyboard and Rt2 to bottom. I use this method when I'm using piano in Rt.1 and strings in Rt.2. Doing this can produce a really good sound without having to go the full octave.

If either of these two methods are not to your liking, try 'splitting' the keyboard and have the lower piano in the lefthand part.

These methods can also be used in the 'Fingered' Mode with great results. It's just a matter of trying them out to find the best to suit your needs.

Whatever you do, when you're happy with your sets REMEMBER TO SAVE THEM.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 11-03-2009).]

#69424 - 11/03/09 11:56 AM Re: KN7000 Question/Problem
kitkat Offline

Hi, Audrey -

Thanks SO MUCH! Actually, I started to try this when I ran into this problem. I stopped when I realized that it went up the scale, key wise and I just assumed by pressing once for a plus wasn't going to work because I would be in the wrong key. Anyway, you are correct in resolving this problem. Your only mistake was that I needed to go UP (12+) instead of down. Thanks, as well for the other tips. There is so much that we can learn on this forum.

Regards,

Mark

#69425 - 11/04/09 12:32 AM Re: KN7000 Question/Problem
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Thanks to kitkat, now I know that Roger is not the only one who knows all. (Audrey knows all), and now I know a little bit more. I cannot wait to try what has been explained here, and try the sounds as stated, to compliment the latin styles which I love.
I am still working on "question 3.5", just be patient, I have an age related complaint which I have to negotiate before I can gather my thoughts.
Isn't it amazing? When I taught myself to use chopsticks, I thought I knew everything,
then along came S/Z. Well!! now I have learnt, that I still have a lot to learn.
In the last seven days I have reduced my golf handicap by 3 strokes. Today!!!! refer to previous paragraph.
See Ya!!!
Ray

Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#69426 - 11/04/09 02:15 PM Re: KN7000 Question/Problem
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thanks for the compliments guys, but I have to say the majority of my acquired knowledge has come from members of this Forum.

Long may it reign.

Audrey

#69427 - 11/04/09 08:22 PM Re: KN7000 Question/Problem
kitkat Offline

Regarding the forum, “Long may it reign” indeed, Audrey. The KN7000 and I should also include other KN keyboards that preceded it have so many wonderful features that can keep one busy for a very long time. I speak on behalf of the KN7000 and fully believe that it has the capabilities of creating any type of music. At times, when I think I know so much about this keyboard, comes a reality check of the things that I still don’t know how to do or use. One of the things is the use of “Favorites.” I have never used this and Audrey, you are at the top of the list with your clever ways of using this feature. There are others that also use it to its fullest. Sometime ago, I started to read the manual about it and it sort of got bogged down. I ended up afraid to save a song or style because I didn’t know where it was going in the keyboard or if I could bring it up. Being so busy using Composer and playing styles that I create, I just didn’t follow through.

Getting back to changing the octave position, as I said in my opening post, I knew that I could go into Sound Edit, bring up Easy Edit and change the octave position there. I then would Write it as a Sound and it would come up in Sound Memory. Audrey’s way is so much simpler and much faster. I also said that I started to do this and found it to change the scale, as in key change alone. Little did I know that you could keep going up the scale and be in the octave that you wanted. Here is a case in point of the keyboard allowing you to do this in two ways.

Back to my not using Favorites - so far, it is because I have my songs or type of style on the SD card under certain file names. Example: Big Band Songs. I will list names of songs or styles to bring up. I do know this limits me because you only have twenty in a file whereas, if I am correct, you have forty in a Favorites file. At the moment, I am unsure if I know what I am talking about. (I’m starting to laugh.) Anyway, this is something that I have to master. I think it would be a good idea if someone like Audrey gives an example of how a song or style is filed in Favorites and later, brought up.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online