So while you sit back and wonder why
I got this ****in' thorn in my side
Oh my, it's a mirage
I'm tellin' y'all it's sabotage!

-tek

#6951 - 12/03/02 07:36 PM Re: MOTIF- rack
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Hey Tec, you're a poet and don't know it!

#6952 - 12/28/02 05:08 AM Re: MOTIF- rack
ricok987 Offline

Loc: N Brunswick, NJ, US
8th street music has the motif rack up on the website to order-$999 US but I would want to review it in person first-not buy it sight unseen

#6953 - 12/28/02 10:26 AM Re: MOTIF- rack
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
i hate the way that korg thinks 3 octaves is "mini" i want at most 2 on a "mini" keyboard.

#6954 - 12/29/02 11:58 PM Re: MOTIF- rack
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
Personally, if I could only have one sound set it would be to Roland XV 5050's NOT the MOTIF rack. I'd miss those fabulous yamaha trumpets and saxes though.

I do have both the yamaha and roland soundsets -- where one is weak the other is strong. having one of each gives me everything I need.

Specs are at http://www.yamahasynth.com

#6955 - 12/30/02 12:07 AM Re: MOTIF- rack
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
"8 insert-effects!"

That's nothing to crow about, the Roland XV 5050 and 5080, have 90 insert effects. (and more system wide effects.)

Yamaha needs to come into the 21st century with the rest of us.

The fact that you cannot edit the sounds,(other than the effects) or create your own patches, puts the MOTIF RACK way behind technology of the Roland 5050 and 5080.

Well you don't need a patch librarian or patch edit software for it, that's for sure!

And they have the *nerve* to ask $200 MORE than the XV-5050?

I suppose the higher polyphony may be more important to some users than the effects, but
For those really needing 128 polyphony there is of course the Roland 5080 which of course is more expensive.

Unless you are running more than 16 channels on one module/keyboard then 64 polyphony is plenty, even for the 4-tone patches (in fact, exactly enough as long as you don't layer notes inside each channel.) So personally I can't see the need for 128-note polyphony.

All in all the MOTIF comes in a distant second -- but I'm still glad I have both yamaha and roland sound sets as I think they really compliment each other.

However as I said in my other post, if I had to pick ONE and only ONE it would be the Roland. (I'd miss the great Yammy sax and trumpets, though.)

I'm sure with the XV editor and some time I could come up with a pretty good facsimilie of the yamaha saxes & trumpets. Simply re-combiging the available PCM samples in the Roland modules should do it.

Cathy T

#6956 - 01/02/03 06:12 PM Re: MOTIF- rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

A 5 Star Post Cath. I am not in defense of the Motif, or any gear. I use a Motif because of it's productivity ability. Being a music producer I need results on a timeline and the Motif IS good for that. You are right about XG and GS complimenting each other. I feel the same way. If I were to produce something that required 90 sound-types inserts on any device from whomever I can tell you right now that it would not be a very productive project. I can see how this would come in handy on an accumulating basis though. It would only save a simple proccess as loading a sound though, so I personally would not use that as a determining factor for the way I use the equipment to produce sounds. The Motif will directly link into a PC or MAC though to extend its ability of inserts on fly.

I believe the New V-Synth (when it comes to Roland, anyway) is more likely the intended competitive piece of gear. (It's not yet released though and supposedly packs a whollopping price tag from the trickle down I have heard (But it being a Roland, I'm sure that doesn't suprise us very much).

As far as polyphony goes, usually you would think that 64 note would be enough, and most times it is I'd say. Have you ever heard the difference in a patch that is straight and dry and one that is straight and dry with triple note layering with extremely subtle envelope changes on them? Try it. You will find the same sound to be extrodinarily better in quality. This is where polyphony can get gobbled up quickly, especially on orchestral parts when running more than 32 channels. You know what though, I wish I had an XV unit because I like the way they sound and operate. They for sure are way easier to tweak on...a lot less submenus. There are times I will hit a blank spot in my head, look down at the Motif's display and wonder where the hell am I. With a Roland, that's a lot less likely to happen.
Best to all in 2003!
MORPH!

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 01-02-2003).]

#6957 - 01/04/03 02:18 AM Re: MOTIF- rack
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have to agree with keyskitten that having onboard editing on the Roland is a big plus. The times I need to edit a patch is when I'm playing live and not connected to a PC with editing software. Editing patches isn't that hard for manufacturers to provide in the keyboard OS so it is puzzling that Yamaha don't provide that capability.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-04-2003).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online