SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#7931 - 12/31/02 11:44 AM What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
epu Offline

Frustratingly, I still say the guitar. Although in recent years, these emulations have gotten quite better. They've always seemed to have gotten those metal leads and nylons down pat.

The one type of guitar that has sucked repeatedly - even on today's keyboards are those venerable late 70s and early 80s funk strats. Every keyboard to date has really sucked. In fact, the only passable versions I've heard of these were on the Roland Country Expansion Board for the JV/XP/XV series, and on the Quantum Leap Guitar & Bass CD.

It has frustrated me to the point where I've decided to save up and get the Quantum CD as it has the BEST guitars I've heard to date (and this CD came out in 1998).

Yeah, some of you will come in here and preach about dealing with Guitar Loop CDs or hooking up with a guitarist. The second option is cool, but I don't fool with loops at all, I'm down with making my OWN music from start to finish.

Since I'm saving up ($250) to get that CD and my problems should be alleviated, I'm curious to know what instruments you all think suck on today's (or yesterday's) keyboards?

The Infamous Epu.

#7932 - 12/31/02 03:52 PM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
All of them.

#7933 - 01/01/03 07:50 AM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Llyren Offline

Cloakboy, what are you using, a CTK-481 or something? I've only got a Roland XP-10 and I think it does a fair job on many of its instruments, especially strings and some of the woodwinds. (Its electronic synth voices, however, are somewhat of a letdown.)

#7934 - 01/01/03 09:35 AM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
I don't use any imitative/GM synths. I've played with all kinds and in my experiance, they all sound like cheese. Samplers do the job a bit better, but even then you're limited. I think part of the problem is that so many keyboardists become oblivious to the sound of the actual instruments versus the acceptable (and often times fashionable) synth alternative to it. Strings are a great example, there are a lot of good synth strings out there, some more acceptable than others, but none of them compare to the sound of a real string orchestra. It seems to me that, after the 80's, the general public got used to a certain "synth string" sound and it has become an acceptable alternative - a "not strings" strings sound. Woodwind, brass, and especially guitar emulations still sound like shit. Guitar being so prevalent in our music will likely never have an acceptable synthetic alternative.

My point is that, personally, I view synths as new sounds and feel that it's a waste to try to make them sound like "real instruments," especially since they will always fail, because they're not the "real instruments." 100 different bassoons will have a 100 different waveforms, but they'll still sound like a bassoon. A synth trying to sound like a bassoon will always sound like a synth trying to sound like a bassoon. The worst thing to ever happen to electronic music and synths is this false idea that a synth can "imitate any sound." Maybe on paper, but in reality - no.

#7935 - 01/01/03 10:41 AM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Llyren Offline

I definately agree that a synthesizer emulating an instrument will never sound exactly right. However, I don't think people have lowered their standards to the point at which they think a bad synth string emulation, or something of the sort, is acceptable. I just don't think people mind synth instruments, especially since they are a cheap alternative to adding an extra musician to your band, for example.

I don't use synth emulation of orchestra/band/etc. instruments for anything except composition, in which case I use them so I can hear a reasonably good representation of what my piece will sound like played by the actual instruments. Of course, the quality of this representation depends on your synthesizer - and I think many professional synths by Roland, Korg, Yamaha, etc. do the job rather well.

Most of what I do use my keyboard for is the electronic voices that only a synthesizer can produce - waves, pads, etc. These, in my opinion, are the true beauty of a synthesizer, and besides, they just sound cool. I agree that their best application is "new sounds," as you put it (this is how masterpieces like "Jump" are born), but I still think that their emulation of "real" instruments can be really quite good.

#7936 - 01/01/03 06:52 PM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Jiddu Offline

Loc: Australia
nice post cloakboy

but guitars suck the most..

especially nylon acoustic chords.

I think that they suck more than the 70's funk guitars because if you want the nylon acoustic sound in a song then there is nothing you can really fill it with other than that particular instrument. If you want the 70's funk I think that you can find a substitute sound and dress it up witha bit of wah and other fx and stuff.. It's sure not going to sound the same but it fills the gap. My opinion.

#7937 - 01/02/03 05:45 PM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry but I don't agree about the nylon guitar. Yamaha has pretty much overcome this, however they are still dilligently working on the picking envelope of the overdriven electric. If all you have is GM, then that is why. To my ears, most of the timbres created in general MIDI are just that; General, and not specific. The sounds are out there, but unfortunately similar to many things in life....you want, you pay.
MORPH!

#7938 - 01/02/03 06:22 PM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
danb Offline

The problem is not the synth, It's the way how you play it. A synth / sampler can capture all the sounds you can ever imagine but if you play it through synth style of playing you will loose a lot of characteristics specially guitar. Try to compare playing a good guitar sample from your favorite synth and from midi guitar using the same sample you will notice the difference. Same in sax sound using midi wind controller versus playing from synth keyboard. I'm thinking of an idea of putting a six-string controller on the keyboard panel and see what its effect.

#7939 - 01/02/03 07:45 PM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
If you ask me, brass is bad. French Horns are getting pretty good; if you get the expansion cards like the Roland Orchestral 2 board. Trumpets (and especially supposed brass sections) are usually really bad, especially if trying to do jazz. Guitars are bad. Harmonicas are bad; though chromatic are better than diatonic. Solo strings are bad; cellos being the best efforts but solo violins still sound bad. This is probably because the cello is usually used for more legato passages while a violin would maybe want to dance around a bit more.
I've not yet heard a convincing solo mandolin; though I've heard pretty good mandolin ensembles like in Italian music.

#7940 - 01/03/03 05:37 AM Re: What instruments do keyboards still SUCK at emulating?
tekminus Offline

Any portamento stuff really sucks on sample playback, because of the multisamples. Sliding within the same sample is ok, but as soon as it has to jump to another sample, you get cut off or hear clicking.

-tek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online