SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69163 - 09/15/09 04:34 PM Performance Pads
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello my friends of the KN 7000.

Although I think I already may know the probably negative answer to this question, I am going to ask it anyway, on the chance that what I want is indeed possible! Curiosty aroused? lol

Anyway, I enjoy using the various Performance Pads already built in to the 7000, but often the instrumentation clashes with the setup I have been using for the melody. Is there any way that a performance pad pattern can be maintained but one or more of the instruments changed or altered without affecting the sequence? For example, a pad may use brass when I would prefer a piano sound, etc.

If any of this is possible, thanks for the information. If you folks can't do it, nobody can!!!

Best personal regards to all my SZ friends and colleagues.

TED

#69164 - 09/16/09 04:26 PM Re: Performance Pads
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The Performance pads can indeed be edited to produce any sounds or patterns of your choice. You can even create your own pads from scratch. I seem to remember that the subject was covered in Alec's book 'How do I do That'. However, if you don't have access to that publication, give me a little time and I'll post the basic steps for changing the sounds in the Pads.............

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69165 - 09/16/09 05:38 PM Re: Performance Pads
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Bill, I would be interested in that information as well.
See Ya !!!
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#69166 - 09/17/09 06:18 AM Re: Performance Pads
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Editing a Performance Pad

To edit one of the KN7000 Built-In Performance Pads, you first need to copy the selected pad, into one of the User Bank pads.

1. Press PROGRAM MENUS > PERFORMANCE PADS > PHRASE COPY.
2. In the FROM box, select the BANK which contains the phrase (Pad) to be edited and the actual Pad. For example, let's choose BANK 13 and PAD 3 - Jazz

Combo / Jazz Gtr Rhythm.
3. In the TO box, Select A: USER BANK 1 and PAD 1
4. Press OK - The selected Built-In Pad will be copied into User bank 1 / Pad 1.
5. Press EXIT once to go to the PADS MENU screen.
6. Press RECORDING BANK A - You will then see the present assignment of all 6 pads in User Bank A.
7. Press PAD1 > START RECORDING PART 1 - The User Bank A Pad 1 will start to play.
8. Press START/STOP to stop the Pad playing, then press PART SETTING.
9. You will see that Part 1 sound, is currently set to JAZZ GUITAR, so let's change it.............
10. In the SOUND GROUP, press BRASS and on Page 1/3, select FULL BRASS.
11. Press START/STOP and you will now hear the Pad playing with the 'new' sound. You can of course, select a different sound if you wish - go back to Step 10.
12. Press START/STOP to stop the Pad playing and then press EXIT twice.
13. Press PAD NAMING > CLR and enter an appropriate name - for example 'BRASS FIGURES' - followed by OK.
14. Press PROGRAM MENUS once to exit the editing facility and then save your new Pad.
15. Press SD LOAD > SAVE > TECHNICS FORMAT and select a Folder as normal.
16. Enter a name for the 'Song File' - for example 'My Perf Pads 01'.
17. Go to Page 2/3 and make sure that the PERFORMANCE PADS option is set to 'YES'. If you only wish to save the new Pad, then set all the other options on page 2/3 to 'NO' and then Save as normal. This will allow you to re-load the new Pad into an existing KN7000 setup, without changing any of the other keyboard's settings. Having re-loaded the new pad, you need to select the USER BANK 1 in the PERFORMANCE PAD settings. If you wish, you can save the new User Performance Pad together with your current keyboard setup, by just doing a normal save operation, making sure that the Performance Pad option on Page 2/3 of the Save process, is set to 'ON'.

A further point - If you are using Panel Memory in Expand Mode in your keyboard setup, and the PAD BANK Option on Page 2/2 of the Expand Mode Filter is set to 'ON', you will need to ensure that the User Bank is selected and saved in each of the used Panel Memory locations.

You can edit further Pads within a Bank of Built-In Pads, by just selecting the desired pad locations in Steps 2 and 3 of the above procedure. You can also Mix-and-Match any of the pads from the Built-In Banks and build your own User Banks - there are Three User Banks available with Six pads in each bank.

The above process just demonstrates how to change the sounds in one or more of the Built-In Perfomance Pads. There is a much more which could be written about editing and creating patterns in the Performance Pad editing facility, but that's another story.................
Alec Pagida - aka 'technicsplayer' included a full tutorial on the Performance Pads in his excellent book 'How Do You Do That', which may still be obtainable from Walt Tenay in USA-email : keyboards@bellsouth.net

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 09-17-2009).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#69167 - 09/17/09 07:56 AM Re: Performance Pads
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Ted , thanks for suggesting this topic .

A special BIG THANK YOU BILL NORRIE !!!

for sharing your knowledge and expertise .

regards ...Giovanni

#69168 - 09/17/09 11:32 AM Re: Performance Pads
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
WOW, Bill!!!! Is there no problem you cannot solve?! Thank you so much for your clear and precise explanation of how to do what I thought was impossible. From the other comments herein, apparently there are others who silently thank you, too, for taking your time and effort in posting your response. Now, after all these years of using only the inherent Performance Pads in the KN 7000, I am even tempted to try creating one or more "patterns" of my own, as well as editing the ones that already exist, according to your instructions. Every day, I am more and more amazed at the versatility of this fabulous instrument, even for me, a rank amateur, and even more amazed at the abilty of great musicians like you and others who post here on the SZ Forum, to clarify and expand the horizons of the wonders that this keyboard contains.

Thank you again for all the great information you have always provided us! Best personal regards to you always from the Yankee Jaybird (you may remember from the old KESO site. If any of you have forgotten it or never seen it, worth looking at again: http://www.keso.nl/

Ted Rose

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 09-18-2009).]

#69169 - 09/17/09 09:34 PM Re: Performance Pads
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
YEESSSS,

#69170 - 09/18/09 08:14 AM Re: Performance Pads
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rose:

WOW, Bill!!!! Is there no problem you cannot solve?! Thank you so much for your clear and precise explanation of how to do what I thought was impossible. From the other comments herein, apparently there are others who silently thank you, too, for taking your time and effort in posting your response. Now, after all these years of using only the inherent Performance Pads in the KN 7000, I am even tempted to try creating one or more "patterns" of my own, as well as editing the ones that already exist, according to your instructions. Every day, I am more and more amazed at the versatility of this fabulous instrument, even for me, a rank amateur, and even more amazed at the abilty of great musicians like you and others who post here on the SZ Forum, to clarify and expand the horizons of the wonders that this keyboard contains.

Thank you again for all the great information you have always provided us! Best personal regards to you always from the Yankee Jaybird (you may remember from the old KESO site. If any of you have forgotten it or never seen it, worth looking at again: http://www.keso.nl/)

Ted Rose

Hi Ted I clicked on that site expecting to get keso and got something else entirely different Derek

#69171 - 09/18/09 08:29 AM Re: Performance Pads
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Try this one... www.keso.nl
It was that bracket after the slash at the end...!

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 09-18-2009).]

#69172 - 09/20/09 07:24 AM Re: Performance Pads
Jene Offline

Loc: Helena, Georgia, USA
Great info Bill
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online