SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68601 - 05/31/09 10:22 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Roger, should I know Simon Cowell, I feel the name is familiar but.....that memory again.
Incidentally, to all you KN7 owners, I am extremely jealous of yor possessions. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough to own one. Pretty scarce down here, and I still have to get past "The Gardener"
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#68602 - 06/01/09 09:27 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Simon Cowell Influential judge on 'American Idol' TV show and 'Britains got Talent' TV show...
Rog

#68603 - 06/01/09 02:48 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I can't bear to think that my KN7000 will ever die on me - the blood runs cold at the thought. The KN7 was so far ahead of it's time that it can still hold it's own today - still mainly good sounds and the styles in general, both on-board & 3rd party, still can't be bettered by the latest boards.I can't imagine what a KN8 or KN9 would be like if Panasonic hadn't pulled the plug on Technics keyboard division - they must have been completely mad.
I also have a Tyros3 but the KN7 is still the board I prefer to play - I even have a Technics SMAC 1200 module that I couldn't bring myself to part with. Glad that there are still some Technics lover's around.
Tony, Sheffield

#68604 - 06/01/09 03:07 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Hi Larry

You have started a very interesting subject.
I traded in my KN5000 for a KN7000 on the very first day they were available at my local music store. Until reading your post I didn’t realise how paranoid I am about losing my precious KN7000. Every time I lift the main panel I’m looking for signs of wear in the hinges and when pressing the On button I feel a great sense of relief when the screen displays the normal ‘picture’. My unfounded view is that every button has a certain number of presses before it wears out and fails, so I am very reluctant to press any of the buttons more than I have to, like the Program Menu, Page Up / Page Down, Start / Stop ect. I know this is totally ridiculous and its holding me back from experimenting with this fantastic keyboard.

I have a couple of expensive guitars and effects units but their demise is nothing compared to my KN7000.

Glen

#68605 - 06/01/09 03:31 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

I also had two KN7s but recently traded in the older model for a Tyros 3 as it was offered at a very good price complete with speakers and my feeling was that at sometime or another, I would have to change.

At first I thought I had made a very expensive mistake as I found the T3 to be very User 'Unfriendly' so much so, I decided to give myself 6 months to 'master' it by which time if I hadn't, I would get rid of it. With the help of many good friends and some demonstration DVDs I am glad to say I am beginning to understand the system and can see the potential of the T3. It certainly has a great sound system and comes with a hard-drive for storage (one of the deciding factors for me).

However, the KN7 is still my first love and I still take it out on 'gigs' because of its reliability and ease of use and of course, I enjoy playing it.

Long live the KN7.....

Audrey

#68606 - 06/01/09 05:13 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had three different KN7000 keyboards and I must agree with most of what is being said.
1- I have sold all my Kn7000 keyboards and I do miss having one.
2- It is my opinion that most Kn7000 keyboard players stay with their keyboards because they feel at home, they are comfortable.

I totally understand the feeling considering the fact that I have owned and played on every Technics keyboard since the Kn1000 – and considering the knowledge I have in the Technics area, when I sold my keyboards I could have written a how to do book on most of the keyboard. To duplicate that knowledge in a Yamaha or Roland or Korg I would have to spend a great deal of time – which I do not have. So I do agree all that is being said.

However for people like our friend Audrey who ventured and entered a different world there is so much ahead, she may even cash in her comfort zone for a new experience. After all that’s how most of us got to our Technics keyboards.

Audrey, my thought for you is to put aside all that you know about your Kn7000 and zero in on how Yamaha designed the Ty3 to be used. Each time you make a break through I can hear you saying, “I can’t believe what this keyboard can do”. The many people who are involved in creating the Ty3 have not been siting without creating some ting special.

Having said all that I am in the middle of purchasing a Kn5000 – Some people you can never please. (grin)

John C.

#68607 - 06/02/09 04:36 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Yes you are right John, after the initial shock of the change which was done quickly simply because it was a one-off deal on offer, and the help of a very good friend who knew I was struggling with the technology and bought me the two DVDs of introduction which in turn showed me exactly what I was doing wrong, I finally began to settle down and appreciate just how much the T3 is capable of.

Having said that, unless you are prepared to accept the challenge of learning a completely different system, I wouldn't recommend the 'feint-hearted' to go down that road.... stick with the Technics instruments which are still a pleasure to play.

Audrey

#68608 - 06/02/09 07:09 PM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Audrey quote:
Having said that, unless you are prepared to accept the challenge of learning a completely different system, I wouldn't recommend the 'feint-hearted' to go down that road.... stick with the Technics instruments which are still a pleasure to play.

I'm with Audrey on this one, John c.

#68609 - 06/03/09 06:09 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
K1 & K2 Offline

Loc: Rockhampton, Queensland, Austr...
I have owned my KN7 for nearly 7 years. I use it on gigs every Saturday Night. The only fault that has developed is with the "Bank View Button".

It required numerous presses of the button to activate the Bank View Screen. The fault was traced to be a dry joint on the PC board under the switch.

I'm still very happy with this board as it offers most of the features I need. With the astronomical prices being asked of hard to find 2nd.hand KN7's downunder, it seems hard to justify the purchase of a back-up KN7, when at sometime in the future, the need to purchase a new keyboard will become necessary.

Regards,
Alan

#68610 - 06/03/09 08:33 AM Re: Hopefully a LONG LIFE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Alan
I'm fascinated by why you found it necessary to use the Bank View Screen so often....?
Rog

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online