SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#68398 - 03/30/09 02:30 AM Entering Chords
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
As I am learning to play my KN7000 (previously just used it as a sound module for midi files) I tend to program the chord progression to a song into the sequencer CHD track, so I can concentrate on the melody.

I am currently learning 'Nine Million Bicycles' by Katie Melua. I manages to find a lead sheet in the Internet. The first few bars contain Dm/C which I think is Dm7. How would I enter this chord into the CHD track ensuring the C bass is played. I tried activating 'On Bass' in the KN Mode options, but I only want this one chord to play a non root bass.

Glen

#68399 - 03/30/09 11:44 AM Re: Entering Chords
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
If you are doing a pre-sequence, you can put anything you want in the sequence. And, if the result is not exactly what you want, you can always go back into the sequence and edit any note to move it where you want. You can also get the results you want in the “Pianist” mode by playing a low C and sustain through the Dm chord. I assume, though, that you want to use the fingered mode when you play with the chord pre-sequence.

I believe you can force a C in the bass line while you are in the fingered mode by turning on “ON BASS” and using a Dm7 chord with the C at the bottom of the chord. I can’t really hear that much difference in the results when I simply play a Dm7 chord when I see a Dm/C chord although that normally results in a D in the bass line. You have to be careful with the inversion used because it can result in a F6 result with some inversions. Arranger keyboards do a fantastic job of interpreting what we play, but some things are just not possible to interpret because different fingerings of the same keys result in different chords depending on the inversion used.

#68400 - 03/30/09 12:18 PM Re: Entering Chords
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
When I'm recording a sequence and wish to have a specific progression in the Bass part, I use a separate track for the Bass part. This allows you to do exactly what you want in the Bass part of the sequence.

Incidentally, even if you wish to use one of the built-in styles, there is a way of achieving this result as well........
You need to copy the style into the Composer and then you can edit the Bass part in such a way, that all, or just one or two of the notes can be programmed to ignore the chord being played in the left hand. This would allow you to have a 'C' note - or indeed any other note - play when you finger a Dm chord.
It does mean that your edited style would only be suitable for a particular tune/song.
If you want more details of this method, just ask

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#68401 - 03/30/09 01:34 PM Re: Entering Chords
Glen Coyne Offline

Loc: West London, UK
Bob / Bill

Many thanks for the detailed explanations, its gives me something else to experiment with.

As this chord is only in the few bars of the intro, I will just play a Dm7 for the time being, then maybe program an intro with a C bass later.

Regards

Glen

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online