SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#68251 - 03/10/09 04:01 PM Need to contact a local forum member
Buddy Offline

Loc: London, UK
I am still trying to get my head round my KN7000. There are a couple of things that I would like to check out regarding my KN7000. There are a few things that I have noticed when I play auto accompaniment. They include syncopation with wrong timing (they sound wrong!), and a few other observations that I need to correct if possible.

If there are any forum members resident in London who own KN7000, I would please like to contact you and arrange to meet up. My aim is to take along my KN7000, check and compare with yours those things that I think may not be right. It will help me to determine whether mine is faulty and therefore arrange a remedy. Or whether what I observe are common with other KN7s.

I'll be glad for the kind offers and help from forum members in London. And thanks to all in anticipation.

Buddy

#68252 - 03/10/09 05:14 PM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Buddy,

This may not be the answer to your problem but the first question that comes to my mind is: are you playing the correct chords when using the Automatic Accompaniment?

I ask this because most keyboards, including the KN7, use what is known as "keyboard chords". As a pianist, I tend to use 'piano chords' which affects the chord I am using in much the same way you are describing. If you ARE using piano chords, the answer is to go to the Menu and make sure the 'ON BASS' is switched ON. (highlighted) The keyboard will then play any chord you use correctly.

I hope this helps - enjoy your KN7, it is still the 'King' of the keyboards.

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 03-10-2009).]

#68253 - 03/11/09 03:39 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi Buddy
We run a club down in Swindon Wiltshire which meets fortnightly and is Technics keyboard based with the emphasis on helping members better understanfd what their keyboard can achieve. S'only a few miles down the M4 if you're interested...
Rog www.keyboardcapers.com

#68254 - 03/11/09 05:41 PM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
Buddy Offline

Loc: London, UK
Hi Audrey
Thanks Audrey for your kind reply. However, the point you clarified is not the problem I have been trying to solve with my KN7. It is some problem with some of the auto-accompaniment rhythm and drums. They don't sound OK - problem with the syncopation or timing. And I don't know if the problem is to do with my own KN7 or whether it is same with everyone else's. I own a KN5 and KN7 and have played the KN6 models. I am only observing the problem with the KN7.

I shall explain in detail, giving one such example. I'll be glad if you could kindly check it out on your KN7 to confirm if it is just a problem with mine:

1. Press the Music Stylist button
2. Choose Musical Category
3. Under 'Category' on the left hand side, choose Latin & World
4. Under 'Style' on the right hand side, choose Miami Falls
5. With the variation at No. 4, Press the Start button (the automatic rhythm starts playing)
6. Just listen to the drums accompaniment and you will notice that some bit of the drums sound out of sync - wrong timing.

I have observed same problem with a few other accompaniments. This is not something that I found in any of the other models that I have owned or played. And I wonder if there is anything I can do to correct these.

If it is a problem with just my own KN7, could it be it is a software problem. Which brings me to the question: If you don't have that problem and the accompaniments on your KN7 are smooth and OK, what software version do you have, please, on your KN7? May it be necessary to update mine with your version of software? Or could it be any other problem?

Another issue - although not a very major one as the above: I most use the auto accompaniment set to BASIC - Memory On and BASS ON, with the keyboard split at Ab2 - so as to enable me to control the left side with the left hand and the right side plays Parts 1 & 2.

I prefer to play more than one note on the left side. However, when I seek to play the key of C by pressing down the C1 and C2 notes together, the key of C7 shows on the LCD - producing a different sound of C7 whereas my intention of pressing the two C notes is to produce the sound of key C.

I have no problem doing this on my KN5000: Pressing the lower C1 and C2 notes together produces the sound of Key C. But with the KN7000, the same action produces the sound of Key C7. Please, what am I doing wrong? Is the KN7 different from the KN5 in this respect? Is there any way to get round it on the KN7 as, for each key, I prefer playing those two identical left hand bass notes to just playing a single bass note?

And to RMepstead, thanks too for your support and suggestion. Swindon Wiltshire might be a bit far for me. If I am able to find a forum member who owns a KN7 and lives in London, I will be happy to take mine there, check it out alongside theirs and find out if mine has a problem.

Meanwhile, I am hoping that I might find helpful answers here in the forum. Thanks to everyone.

Buddy

#68255 - 03/12/09 02:10 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
RMepstead Offline

I can answer your second bit Buddy.
The KN7000 has this wonderful unintentional extra built in that when you are in basic (one finger) mode you can at the same time play in three fingered mode without having to alter your set up. Great when you come across diminished chords for example. It does mean that of course you have to behave yourself when playing say C; C7th; Cm7; and Cm.
Rog
p.s just listened to Miami Falls - that out of sync drum beat is deliberate. IMO

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 03-12-2009).]

#68256 - 03/12/09 08:05 PM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi Buddy,

You say that you use BASIC but that you prefer to use more than one note in the left hand. You DON'T want to use BASIC but use FINGERED instead. This is why you are getting chords that you are not wanting. BASIC is set up for up to three fingers use for people who are not chord knowledgeable and for basic harmony.

Mark

#68257 - 03/13/09 04:11 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
RMepstead Offline

...and that's the weird thing, Mark, about the KN7000 and it is that whilst in basic finger mode you can play full three finger chords and it recognises them!!!
On previous models such as the KN6000 KN5000 etc that 'facility' did not exist...programming error I wonder?
Rog

#68258 - 03/13/09 07:24 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
ROGER....

Having only played my KN's (1K,3K,5K,6K,&7K)using the Basic mode....they all recognise all the chords played in that mode.... The only mode I play in.....

Now I have 2 7K's and a 6K for sale... too many to haul around in a motorhome...

#68259 - 03/13/09 07:44 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
RMepstead Offline

Hi Elizabeth
So how do you play C diminished in basic mode?
Rog

#68260 - 03/13/09 08:31 AM Re: Need to contact a local forum member
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Short Answer : C,D#,F#,A Works Fine!

Re. Buddy's posting.......
Quote "However, when I seek to play the key of C by pressing down the C1 and C2 notes together, the key of C7 shows on the LCD - producing a different sound of C7 whereas my intention of pressing the two C notes is to produce the sound of key C."

First, I assume that when you say 'the key of C', you mean the Chord of C.........

That is exactly how the 'Basic' system is supposed to work See page 54 of the manual. In Basic mode, a C7 chord will be produced by pressing note C2 and any other WHITE key below C2.....
If you wish to have both C2 and C1 sounding, then choose the 'Fingered' option. However, you will only hear these two notes if you have a LEFT sound selected and turned on.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online