SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#67647 - 11/09/08 02:28 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
If as you say KN7 so many KN7000 owners have or are moving on to other newer instruments...and in doing so have no doubt sold their KN7000s...where are all the new owners of these 'defunct' KN7000s; I'm sure they weren't / aren't all being thrown on the tip and I don't hear of Retailers being stuck with loads of them.
KN7000s don't die, they just fade away from Synthzone...
Rog

#67648 - 11/09/08 08:56 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Rog, members fade away from Synth Zone because many have not bothered to LEARN the capabilities of the KN keyboards. There are many questions that could be asked on how to do certain tasks. Starting with learning how to change sounds – taking a sax sound and adding “Breath” to it to give it a sexy and more intimate sound. Using Drum User Kit for correct placement of drums. Have you ever really listened to some of the drum patterns and hear a cymbal played to the far left and a high hat played to the far right? Think about it! In reality, a drummer would have to have octopus arms to play like this. It’s cute for a stereo effect but not believable for those who know better. Learning to “cup” notes on a sax or bend notes on a guitar. Most of you never use a foot pedal to bend notes. You don’t play a sax sound like you play piano. One needs to FULLY UNDERSTAND how a musician plays his instrument. Another example: When in COMPOSER and doing a bass track, when going from say, C to G, you don’t just play G – you BEND THE NOTE. When a bass player plays, he moves his fingers up to the G and puts pressure on the string (bending it) to bring it in tune. Gee, you never thought of that.

Audrey, it is, indeed fun to play the keyboard but it is also TOTAL JOY to be able to create something entirely on your own. We only have to ask people like Bill and Larry and others to know this. You don’t do this until you psyche yourself to knuckle down and take the time to learn how to do some of these things. Members taking the time would be asking a million questions and the forum wouldn’t be drying up, as it clearly is.

Kn7

#67649 - 11/09/08 10:05 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Bill, in my last post, I forgot to thank you for telling me how you do a melodic passage in COMPOSER. I will certainly use this the next time I do something in COMPOSER. Right now, I am very involved in transferring arrangements that I have done of songs that I will later add vocals to. I purchased a Boss 900CD digital recorder and I can’t say enough good things about it. I do realize that I could do my work on the computer but this unit is over the top in features. You can record up to 64 tracks. It has a professional studio mixer in it. There is, among many features, a compressor/limiter, a de-esser for too much sibilance, a 4-band EQ plus, another EQ feature that can be used, all sorts of reverbs, an overall tone adjustment for doing a master... the list goes on and on. ALSO, it has a built in CD burner. I am talking about a unit that is ONLY 12 inches wide, about 9 inches deep and around 2 inches high. INCREDIBLE with what you can do with this unit. It will even take a vocal that someone has sung out of key and correct it. Anyway, my KN has perfect input settings for everything and I am not doing any work in the keyboard as of now.

Thanks, again –

Kn7

#67650 - 11/10/08 01:35 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

...and where did all the KN5000s and KN6000s go, eh...think about it...
Rog

#67651 - 11/10/08 08:30 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Every morning I go to this forum to see what has been posted. It is such a pleasure to find wonderful information such as found here in this particular group of postings! Talk about a learning opportunity! ))

Like Audrey, I really just want to sit at my KN's (a 6000 for gigging, and a 7000 to enjoy at home.) My only home is a Motor Home and I cannot lift either KB.... My body is small, about 130 lbs and 5' tall...also I am in my 70's....

Music is a life long passion. I have a good ear... not exact or perfect pitch tho I do hear when sounds are not in harmony and my sense of rhythm is excellent. I taught myself to read the melody line at age 10 on a neighborhood Church piano... Church and school choir participation were very helpful in my musical education. Additionally, I do so enjoy performing!

As a youngster I spent many Saturday's in Hollywood, CA going to radio shows that featured Big Band era bands & singers. Mainly I listened to the singers and the words they were singing. I did not pay as much attention to the sounds of the band which of course had the better "timing"... except for Frank Sinatra!

I have never taken the time to learn to read on sight, the bass lines. The auto chords and 3 finger chording work for me. I am aware of all the wonderful creative things the 7K has to offer. I do try to understand the Composer features but not very often as I get very frustrated with my own lack of training and fumbling through the instructions! The sequencer is a feature I do work with tho I am never satisfied with my results. Muting and tweaking the sounds in many of the rhythms and trying different instruments are things I do frequently. Since my recent near-death experience, my "ear" has become far more sensitive to the sounds. I am making great changes in most of my registrations... making much softer sounds and fewer big drum sounds. My Christmas registrations that I have just begun to work with are so very harsh sounding! Lots of work to do with these!

About 15 years ago I bought my first KB..a Yammie. In addition to the 2 KN's I still have and play regularly, the 6K for gigs twice each week, and the 7K at home, I have owned a KN 1000, a 3000, and a 5000. Each of these has presented additional educational opportunities along the way. The 7K is for me the ultimate sound machine! There is much that I have yet to explore....! It is always such a joy to read on this forum what others are doing with their KN's and to learn of other KB's that are coming along to fill the void when the KN's are no longer working/available.

As I am a self-taught player except for what I learn on this and other forums/websites. I do not know the meanings of many of the descriptive musical words that are used by those who do have a real musical education... Eventually I do figure out what is meant in most cases.

I do not post much here anymore because it is somewhat embarassing to know so little about music generally.... and again, like Audrey, playing my KB is about my highest priority.

I am VERY grateful for all the information all of you share with those of us who are basically untutored! It would be a great loss to me should this forum fall by the wayside for lack of input.

This is basically my personal THANK YOU for all you do to help in my musical learning and all the help you offer regarding my KN7. Your help is priceless to me.

ELIZABETH EVELYN

------------------

#67652 - 11/11/08 09:59 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Well, I see this thread is drying up. It is either this or members are thinking about what has been said or in “tilt” or decided to move on to new buttons to push on that awaited Tyros 3 that promises to strap you in and take you to the moon. Of course, you will have to leave those outboard speakers behind because they will look like EARS for the Aliens on the moon and they don’t want to be confused with, “Who’s this?” Anyway, this reply is directed at a dear lady named Elizabeth Evelyn.

Hi, Elizabeth! I am unsure if you go by Elizabeth Evelyn or if Evelyn is your last name. I’ll just call you Elizabeth and no disrespect intended. You sound not only like a dear lady but a true music lover. Bless your heart. You keep on playing beautiful music. I and others, I am sure, appreciated all you said in your post. Yes, the KN7000 is a “heavy” but well worth it. I really don’t know anything about the KN2600 but I do believe it is considerably lighter and has the SD card feature. Perhaps you will be able to pick one up for one hundred dollars that someone has anxiously turned in for the Tyros 3. ~.~ You came from a time when the most beautiful music was created. Music written in the 1920’s through part of the 1950’s will never be matched or written again. They say, “what goes ‘round comes ‘round.” Well, if we all live long enough, we shall see. Actually, there were some fine songs written in the late 1950’s and up through the late 1960’s – after that it became, “God, help us all!” Sadly, people started preferring a less challenge to the ears. Three-chord harmony became less challenging and acceptable and to the point of not wanting to hear anything else. Melodies with rich harmonies were yawned at. It has been this ‘norm’ for the last 30 to 40 years. Music today, if one can call it that, is more of a strong beat, with a thumping bass for all the fried ears of listening to rock ‘n roll and heavy metal through the years. Oh, and let’s not forget, repeating a phrase 16 times in what is called a song. “Can’t get enough of you, babe.” Well written lyrics are a thing of the past but what the hell, “keep on rockin’.” What really surprises me is that Seniors today who should know better are willing to wear a T-shirt with “Rock and Roll is here to stay.” Well, gooooooooooooooolly!

In closing, I truly admire someone like Larry Gosmeyer that continually does “The American Songbook.” He has been most generous to this forum with his renditions. There may be some hope, folks because of artists like Michael Feinstein, Harry Connick, Jr. and a singer that seems to be getting a lot of attention today, Michael Buble. These three artists, as well as Dianne Reeves and especially, the lovely Diana Krall also get a lot of plays. These artists all do the Standards. As the old saying goes, “Keep on keeping on.”

kn7

#67653 - 11/11/08 10:20 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Hi KN7
I guess you must be American as I don't recognise 'TILT' as a British expression - in fact the only reference that I can find to it is as follows...
Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy...
Is that what you mean?
Rog

#67654 - 11/11/08 12:04 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Rog,

Uh huh to both. Much like a pinball machine when it is in tilt - out of commission - dead and not functioning. Yes, I am from the other side of the pond - America. Does this make me a bad guy?

kn7

#67655 - 11/11/08 02:12 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
.... Yes, I am from the other side of the pond - America. Does this make me a bad guy?

Probably not a bad guy, but reading your post on top make me think you maybe
tend to tilt in the direction of being arrogant?

Happy Playing (whatever level as player or brand played)
Cheers
GJ

Btw,
new buttons to push don't nessesary mean you don't know what old buttons already
pressed does, can do or did.
In fact, new buttons (keyboards) are very exciting, even for me who don't have
as much as a half persent of Alec's or other members knowledge about it.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#67656 - 11/11/08 02:57 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

No - it just makes you American!
chuckle...
Rog

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online