SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#67291 - 07/01/08 07:22 AM USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
I am presently experiencing a problem being able to hear the drum sounds when bringing up Sound Edit for User Kit. I have always been able to hear them to be able to WRITE them. I do have 1st ON. 2nd is OFF, which has always been. I must have done something that I am unaware of to cause them to not be heard. This is only in Sound Edit that I am not hearing them. I tried clicking Note Select and Detail Edit, which I don’t understand and nothing happens. I hope someone will have the answer.

#67292 - 07/12/08 08:27 AM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
kitkat Offline

I am asking again, the User Kit question above. Since the manual doesn't mention much or anything on the use of User Kit, I have been hoping someone will tell me why I am no longer able to hear the drum sounds when bringing up Sound Edit. Bill, I had hoped you might have the answer or perhaps the Technicsplayer gentleman.

Mark

#67293 - 07/17/08 07:06 AM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi mark, I've tried to simulate your problem but have been unable to do so. So, I don't have an answer to your question

Have you tried initialising your KN7000 ?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67294 - 07/19/08 08:13 AM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill for your suggestion. No, I have not tried initializing the keyboard. I was hoping for a simple answer but apparently, there isn’t one. I will try with initializing. I didn’t want to do this because it requires reloading much back into the keyboard and I have made a lot of changes. Since the manual tells us nothing about using User Kit, I will pass on some information that might be of interest. I have been making a lot of changes in drum sounds by using it. It really is a great tool – not only for raising the volume of drum sounds but placement – left or right. Anyway, by us knowing that User Kit is associated with Sound Memory when writing a drum sound, it was uncertain how stable the sound would be, since it was connected with Sound Memory. I have found out that once you save your changes made that effect Composer and file your style in Custom Style, it becomes permanent, as is the general Custom Styles in the keyboard. I did a check by filing a composed style with certain volumes of drums changed in Custom Style. I brought up this particular custom style back into Composer at another time and changed volumes of certain drum sounds in User Kit and compared the two by playing first, the Custom Style and then the style in Composer. Clearly, there was a difference. My point, the new change of volumes in User Kit did not effect the volumes that I earlier changed in the Custom Style. This concerned me a great deal of knowing how stable the sound change was. As we know, Sound Memory has a short life unless it is downloaded from the SD card or when a sequenced song is brought up. I very much wanted these changes permanently in Custom Style because I play from these styles when playing live. I never thought I would be using Sound Memory so much. The work I am doing causes it to change often. It is fine for songs done in the sequencer because of filing that particular Sound Memory group needed for that song. Doing future work, I never know if I have the right set of sounds I want to work with. Filing a permanent group of sounds doesn’t necessarily work because of so many changes. Anyway, it is my problem that I have to deal with.

Mark

#67295 - 07/21/08 12:17 PM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Mark, the only way I didn't get any sound from the keys was by turning down the sound of the individual drum sound under amplitude. Try increasing the volume level to 127, the upper max, and see if that was the problem. Also, check the keyboard volume settings to make sure the APC volume setting didn't get lowered by mistake. And, lastly, you can always use the Composer to change any of the drum settings, volume included, or move to a different drum kit. I really can't see the need to use the User Drum kit with all the others available, and just the name alone implies that it is a drum kit set by the user (player) and isn't a standard kit. Personally, I keep all the different sound combinations I like to use for different styles on floppies and load them into memory for quick use. I have 12 floppies on hand for just about all the combinations I use, plus whenever I come across a new sound I like, it goes onto a disk for future use. I'm not quite sure what you were trying to do when writing to sound memory and switching to custom memory or to composer styles, but you have to save the sound memory to SD or floppy if you want to keep it for future use. When you load another style into Composer, if the sound memory file is included, which it almost always is, then sound memory is changed to whatever you just loaded. You can exclude loading sound memory files, but if APC uses an instrument from the sound memory files, then it won't sound as originally intended. If you load all your favorite sounds into Custom sound memory, then make a backup of the sounds to floppy or SD and reload them if necessary. Hope this helps.

#67296 - 07/22/08 10:19 AM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bud for all your thoughts and suggestions. I am aware of all that you said but I appreciate your reply. The volumes are not set low, i.e., APC, drum sounds, etc for me not to hear them when I play the sound while in User Kit. The User Kit is a very important tool for players to use. Many of the drum sounds that are standard in the keyboard are not loud enough, even trying to bring them up in Composer at full 127. I found it very surprising to find some set as low as 30 to 40 when there is the range of up to 127. This is the reason that I use User Kit. Also, as I have stated, you have the opportunity to change direction of the drum sound – left to right or center plus even individual reverb on the sound. Again, a very useful tool that apparently few or no one uses. The flexibility of Sound Memory is a very good thing but it also is a drawback. Someone like me that makes continual changes in Sound Memory, even saving to the SD card when sounds are different for different styles in Composer, it makes it sort of difficult playing live. Yes, I am aware that you save Sound Memory in a file, along with your Panel Memories for when you are playing live. Still, with my ever changing Sound Memory, it keeps me busy updating the file for live playing.

Mark

#67297 - 07/22/08 04:26 PM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Kit,

I know it can be laborious having to save every move you make, but if I were you, I would do just that - save your settings to an SD Card. That way you will accumulate a wide variety of drum sets/sounds.

Or, as suggested by Bud, save to a floppy disk until you have filled all 20 files and then COPY them all at once to your SD Card.
It is much quicker than saving each file to the card individually.

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#67298 - 07/23/08 11:42 AM Re: USER KIT/SOUND EDIT PROBLEM
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Audrey for your thoughts and suggestions. I will take them seriously and do them as you suggested doing future work.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online