SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66931 - 04/28/08 08:50 AM Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Hi Everyone...I just don't get in here enough, lol. It seems that I'm always doing something and get too busy etc. Just an update on some previous things. First, the Elvis project fell through. Sadly, most Elvis tribute artists are using Karaoke backing tracks, and they expect that a "live" 4 or 5 piece band can somehow duplicate a studio-recorded 30 piece backing track. Without using any pre-recorded sequences, it's virtually impossible, and we had agreed that we didn't want to use anything pre-recorded, that the performance would be totally "live". That, coupled with the price of gas (I was driving 210 miles round trip to get to rehearsals) sort of doomed things.
I have become a member at "Musicians Contact". This site hooks bands and individuals up for possible work. It's mainly a West coast site, however, there are some bands and individuals looking for work here on the East coast. I noticed that there is a female vocalist looking for an accompanist - she lives in West Palm Beach (your area, John C.). Her name is Diane DeAngelo, very impressive credentials etc. I did send her an introductory email, we'll see if anything develops. For anyone wishing to check out the site, it's http://www.musicianscontact.com I'm also looking into some cruise ship work as a single act...tough nut to crack, but I've sent some inquiries out. Hopefully something will come of them.
The Florida Jam was a success, everyone seemed to really enjoy themselves. Ron Platen and his wife Judy will be putting up an internet website shortly strictly for 7000 owners. It will be password protected, and hopefully will have some 7000 sequences available for d/l, as well as offering some of the tutorials available on different 7000-related playing/performing aspects. More to follow on this. The password feature is to (hopefully) eliminate certain individuals from ripping off files then putting them up on their particular website and charging a fee to get them (yes, it does go on).
Other than the above, not a lot going on here in Central Florida. Playing jobs are few and far between..the DJ's have really put a hurt on "live" music in this area. I just learned the other day that a DJ nailed a young married couple $300 for a 3 hour gig...heck, I don't charge that much for a local gig. Just goes to show you how tough times have become for we live players.
Sorry for the rambling...just wanted everyone to know that I'm still kickin' lol.

#66932 - 04/28/08 11:29 AM Re: Hi All.......
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
There are 8P's in marketing and the most important is 'positioning'....wanna know more?
Rog

#66933 - 04/28/08 12:36 PM Re: Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

Certainly Rog....go for it, always willing to listen to constructive advice.

#66934 - 04/28/08 05:22 PM Re: Hi All.......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Jim ... good to see you back ... too bad about the Elvis project ... sounded like it would have been fun ...
Once you realized that a 4 - 5 piece group wasn't going to cut it well enough, couldn't you re-think the 'backing trax' idea?
t.

#66935 - 04/28/08 06:09 PM Re: Hi All.......
Jim Helwig Offline

It really wasn't me who had decided on the totally live playing. Honestly, I told the 2 guys who had made this decision that if they were going to attempt to copy the Elvis "That's The Way It Was" Las Vegas show with 5 guys, it was going to be very difficult to do. If I had 5 hands, I might have been able to provide all the strings, horns, organ/piano, etc. that the show required. It was an experience to say the least, lol. The drive over to St. Pete really made it not possible for me to continue.

#66936 - 04/29/08 02:44 AM Re: Hi All.......
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Jim
Good to see you posting here. The DJ's have invaded my area too. Luckily, I don't have to compete with them. Besides my church job, and two shows a week at our culteral center, I fill in with assisted living gigs. They are usually one hour shows, and since I keep a rig in my van, I can do a paid one for $100.
Bernie

#66937 - 04/29/08 04:56 AM Re: Hi All.......
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Sometimes a person Can not see himself clearly, what is so apparent to someone else seems hidden from that person.

Jim, The longevity of a OMB professional musician is somewhere between the ages of 60 and 78 years of age, then backing off is not a bad idea. The longevity of a piano player goes beyond that, and he does not have to carry all the stuff we do. If I had your hands I would be in a high-end country club playing all the important piano events.

I am on the tuning staff of PGA National Resorts, they use piano players in many areas, and there is always another piano to be tunes for a performer. The piano jobs that are available in the Palm Beach set is unbelievable, and they pay very well. A singing piano player with average talent is even in more demand, I find you to have far more than average talent.

Roger, I think pointed to the problem, marketing yourself, but not as a keyboard player. The most successful OMB is the one who has the ability to put on a performance/show, normally they are average players, the keyboard does so much that they have no need to improve in that area, it is not where their interest lies. Whereas a piano player is exposed, it is just him and the piano with 2 to 3 pedals below. If he can, sing all the better. If he can sing and put on a bit of a show he will never be without work.

And, in my opinion, that’s where Jim Helwig needs to be if he wishes to successfully continue in the music business.

#66938 - 04/29/08 05:10 AM Re: Hi All.......
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Part 2 – Things I forgot.

Not to be misunderstood – I love playing keyboards, I have been playing one professionally since 1984. If you want to know what my talent in music really is we must go back to the days I played guitar. The only gimmick I used was reverb and an amplifier, everything else was just me my guitar and my voice, that was me.

This does not make little of the keyboards we love, it is only another view for people like Jim Helwig. There is no better way to sound like a full great big band than a KN7000, I enjoy it, no I love it. The other side of the coin talks about talent without the bells and whistles, both arte precious.

IMHO, John C.

#66939 - 04/29/08 08:09 AM Re: Hi All.......
RMepstead Offline

OK Jim - this is not specifically you - this is anybody.
What we offer as pro keyboard players is a product/service. It has to marry with perceived needs of the audience by the retailer of your product/service.
So firstly we must find out what is in demand and how that compares with what we currently have to offer.
This analysis involves the use of the 8P's which are: Product, Place, Price, Positioning, Publicity, Promotion, People, and Process.
As John has intimated there are many alternative 'products' you could offer including DJ/Disco which I also provide as a matter of interest... Which ones are in most demand and there is a shortage of supply.
Where is it most likely (place) that you would be able to offer this product/service.
What price can you demand for this product/service.
How are you going to create the right image in the minds of your customers by positioning both yourself and your product/service to meet this demand.
Publicity is the above the line activity which you employ to communicate about yourself to potential customers e.g. advertising.
Promotion is the below the line activity which you employ. e.g PR pack and demo CDs etc.
People is who are you going to approach and how...and then what Process are you going to use to approach them and clinch the deal.
Rog

#66940 - 04/29/08 09:29 AM Re: Hi All.......
RMepstead Offline

A bit more about 'Positioning'...
What we are all looking for is a USP - unique selling point...a differentiator...something that sets you apart. Your positioning could be any of these or many others...the keyboard player who:
cracks jokes as well; responds instantly to any musical request; has a great team of singers which he/she backs; is able to provide disco as well as playing live; creates a funky atmosphere which definitely gets the audience on their feet dancing etc etc etc
Or perhaps all of these if you're a real genius...I am joking of course...
Look at how different food stores position themselves differently from one another to meet the needs of the niche they have identified as THEIR GROUND.
Hope all this helps.
Rog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online