SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#66359 - 01/20/08 08:26 AM sd checkout problem
santa1 Offline

Loc: stuart, fl usa
my first attempt at saving or checking out to the sd card / reader. I have coverted MP3 files, made playlists, etc. on Jukebox and am ready to check out. I get a message window "different file settings-open settings and format sd." I have already formated the sd card. Even clicking on the SD button in Jukebox gives me the same message. Help!

#66360 - 01/20/08 10:10 AM Re: sd checkout problem
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
What size and spec and make is the SD Card you are using?
Rog

#66361 - 01/21/08 04:41 AM Re: sd checkout problem
santa1 Offline

I am using a new PNY technologies 1gb SD. This is my first attempt except for the small Panasonic 8mb card that came with the Jukebox program. It checked out fine, but not this PNY

#66362 - 01/21/08 05:29 AM Re: sd checkout problem
RMepstead Offline

Yea well some of the 1 gig SD Cards work fine - like sandisk - and others just won't do the job...I've no idea why but there's a good few of us that have had this experience.
Equally a half gig SD Card seems to be more likely to work...
Weird, but there you go...
Rog

#66363 - 01/21/08 05:57 AM Re: sd checkout problem
santa1 Offline

I really need to use a 2gb SD card to hold the MP3's I have converted in Jukebox. Anyone had experience with 2 gb SanDisk SD cards?

#66364 - 01/21/08 10:40 AM Re: sd checkout problem
RMepstead Offline

I've not known SD Jukebox successfully transfer data to a 2Gb SD Card - I hold all my audio music on multiple 1Gb and smaller SD Cards and swap them over during 'performance' as a DJ.
Rog

#66365 - 01/21/08 12:18 PM Re: sd checkout problem
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I have been using Sandisk 2G cards successfully with SD Jukebox for some time now. Files check out and play OK on the KN7000. The KN does not show the correct amount of space available on the 2G card, but so far I haven't encountered any other problems. I have had problems with some other makes of card as small as 512M.

Len

#66366 - 01/21/08 04:22 PM Re: sd checkout problem
Walt M Offline

A great deal of the problems with SD cards are due to improper formatting. If you format the card using the normal Windows routine, it is apt to not work properly in all equipment or card readers because it will most likely end up formatted with the wrong file system.
In a previous post, Technics Player gave some reasons for problems. He suggested a low level format but did not detail how to do that.
If you are having problems with a card I suggest that you try the following:
1. Place the card in a good card reader (there are some junk cheapies out there that are being sold). You are usually OK with one made by SanDisk or Kingston.
2. Look at the card with Windows Explorer and make note of the disk identification that has been given to the card reader by the Windows operating system. Usually it will be D: or E: or F: ETC. It's a good idea to have one or two files on the card so that you can correctly identify it later on in this routine.
3. Let's suppose that it's E: for this exercise.
4. Go to "Start" "Run" and type "CMD" (without the quotation marks). This will get you to the black DOS window.
5. Type E: (or use the designation in step 2. Hit Enter.
6. Type DIR and hit Enter to make sure that you are seeing the card and not some other disk or partition on your hard drive.This is important because you don't want to accidently format the wrong item and lose all of the data therein.
7. Once you are sure that you are looking at the SD card, type "format E:/FS:FAT /X" (without quotation mqrks) and hit Enter. This command will release all 'handles' that can sometimes make a 2 GB card look like a 1MB card, ETC and will format the card to the FAT system which is the standard for SD Cards. Don't forget to replace the "E:" in the above example with your actual card drive designation that you found in step 2 above.
7. You will get a warning message that all will be erased -- and if all looks proper, hit Enter.
8. Try the card and see if it now works.

Good Luck,
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt M (edited 01-21-2008).]

#66367 - 01/22/08 03:43 AM Re: sd checkout problem
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
There is an interesting article about memory cards in "Smart Computing Magazine this month. You may be able to read it on line. www.smartcomputing.com

There are many counterfeit cards on the market and could be the cause of problems.

Fran in SC

#66368 - 01/22/08 05:44 AM Re: sd checkout problem
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt M:
[B]In a previous post, Technics Player gave some reasons for problems. He suggested a low level format but did not detail how to do that.B]

The previou post is here:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/004547.html

where I had previously explained that:

1 2GB cards work ok for audio provided they are formatted in Jukebox or equivalent.

2 2GB cards with audio work fine in the 7000, just the % space reading is incorrect.

3 If you format a 2GB card in the 7000 you get a 1GB card with the rest unallocated and unusable space.

Additionally if a 2GB card does not work in Jukebox it just means it is a cheap or other card that does not meet the full SD.org specification. Get a quality card like standard SanDisk or similar. It is pointless buying fast cards for audio just for the 7k, but if you have a true sd compatible writer like e.g. the slots in toshiba laptops, then audio can be written faster than the usb1 panasonic writer supplied with the jukebox kit (which was made before usb2 was invented).

Unfortunately the process described in the post above is not a low level format, just a normal dos format thus will not erase the partition table or restore a card formatted in the 7k back to 2GB, it will still be 1GB with the rest unusable.

To restore a 2GB card formatted in the 7k the simplest method is just to format in jukebox. An alternative is to use this panasonic program which will do it quicker and be ready to accept audio:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online