SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6620 - 10/07/05 09:16 PM I really need your help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,guys

I'm from Shanghai and i've been Us for 6 months. I really love the 80's synthpop especially its warm sound and also a part of the modern style,and I plan to buy a synthesizer under $1000, maybe try to make the music like Cosmicity or B!Machine and so on. But i'm a very very beginner and i really get confused...

I learned a little bit keyboard when I was a little child but I have almost forgotten it actually... Even though I still want to buy a synthesizer even just for fun...

At first someone recommended me a Korg Ms2000, but after I checked the related information about the styles of the synthesizers I found that maybe it will be too hard for the beginners like me.

Actually I checked this site: BEGINNER'S SYNTHESIZER FAQ http://www.ezy.net/~genoside/midiwarez/synthfaq.html
And it said that maybe a sample-based one will be better for the beginner. And it also recommended the analog synthesizer with knobs, it mentions the Roland Juno series--but there is only the Juno-D now and I cant find enough information about this model to make sure if it's suitable fot me... I even want to buy a used Juno 106 from eBay because it's the really 80's style...but i know it's not a good and safe way for the beginners...

Tell you the truth, I really get mad these days because I have too many questions but no one can answer me...The internet helpes a lot but it's still not enough... I really need you guys to help me with my stupid questions as follow...

1) Which kind of synthesizer is more suitable for me? Will the Juno-D be a good one?

2) Can any synthesizer be used as a piano? I mean can I use it for practice?--Because I will take the Music Business Major later so I have to learn the piano...but I cant afford the real piano so maybe I need a digital piano but I just want to try to save money if it can be practised like a piano...

3) What's the different between the "Arranger" and the "Synthesizer Keyboard"? Can the arranger be instead of the synthesizer?

4) Can you guys give me some other advise about the learning?...

5) I'm bad at computer programming... Will it be so hard for me? And how can I learn it if I have a synthesizer?...

I'm so sorry for my stupid questions... but I really need your help...

Thank you very much...

[This message has been edited by underbreath (edited 10-07-2005).]

#6621 - 10/08/05 05:23 AM Re: I really need your help!
Quasar Offline

Hi Underbreath,

I feel your pain. I, too, prowl these forums looking for answers, and find myself wanting to ask: "So, just tell me- what do I need to get, and how do I do it?"

If you want to learn to seriously play the piano, you most definitely want an instrument with a weighted, hammer action. Casio, Yamaha, etc., offer digital pianos for under $1000, but they won't give you the synthesizer capabilities. You could, however, use such a piano as a controller for virtual or "soft" synthesizers in your computer. The musical creation possibilities here are almost endless, if you're willing to take on the learning curve involved. (I'm still clumsily trodding along this path.)

The difference between an arranger and a synthesizer makes for much lively discussion around here. It used to be that synthesizers were for creating vast arrays of musical sounds and effects, whereas arrangers were more for emulating standard voices like horns or guitars, but technology has changed all of that. If interface simplicity is important to you, then an arranger is probably the way to go. I found that I could passably imitate almost any musical style I wanted with a Yamaha PSR540, which you could no doubt find on ebay for a couple of hundred bucks (or less) nowadays. But, of course, you won't get the same sound quality you'd get on a higher-end, more expensive arranger. You also - for under $1000- wouldn't get the weighted keybed that is critical for actually practicing the piano.

Ultimately, what works for you is subjective, and for you to decide within your budget. There are quite a few folks here who know a lot more than I about specific workstations, synths, and arr keyboards, and can and will weigh in with their thoughts for you.

Welcome to the US, and good luck.

Cheers,
Michael

#6622 - 10/08/05 01:37 PM Re: I really need your help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your respondence!

I spent a lot of time on internet these days to try to find out something in my budget... but in fact I dont want to learn the piano to a very high level, I just need something to practise and to pass the classes in the future... so maybe I can buy a cheap one such as Casio PX-100 because it's even under $500 now...

Otherwise, a synthesizer is the one that I really want--I began to dreamed about it two years ago... and now I'm considering to buy a Microkorg because it's small and also cheap, I heard from someone that it could be a good choice for the beginner.

And,also, because you mentioned the "soft" synth, I know it's cheaper and maybe more creative, but would it be very hard for me because I learned Visual Basic before and I really hate it... the computer programming bother me a lot...

But anyway, thank you again for your kindness, Michael!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online