SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#662 - 02/17/02 05:35 PM complex midi setup
wadrum Offline

Loc: bellingham wa
I need a book or source on how to do complex midi setups. I cannot configure mine. thanks,
wadrum

#663 - 02/17/02 06:05 PM Re: complex midi setup
tekminus Offline

And I really need to stop reading this board.

What do you want to know?

-tek

#664 - 02/17/02 06:16 PM Re: complex midi setup
wadrum Offline

There are several texts on midi on line stores. I don't know which will have what I need, if any. I have two computers, two modules, keyboard and drum pad controller. And midiman with cakewalk pro to connect it all. I need to learn how to diagram a hook up for the midi cables. I need to know how to use my atari computer as a sequencer slaved to the pc or vice versa. Yes, these reader boards are annoyingly addictive. thanks, wadrum

Quote:
Originally posted by tekminus:
And I really need to stop reading this board.

What do you want to know?

-tek

#665 - 02/17/02 06:51 PM Re: complex midi setup
WS Offline

Why do you want to use one for Midi only? What kind of connections do you have...ethernet, parallel...these would connect the PCs if you want to bother. Midi doesn't use much disk space. What kind of midiman do you have? If it is a 4X4 or greater you just make the midi connections and in Cakewalk you set up the MIDI IN/OUT ports. If it is a 1x1 or 2x2 or 1x2 you will have to daisy chain the midi. You won't be able to access more than 16 channels on a 1x1, 1x2 and 32 channels with a 2x2 interface. This limits you if all of your modules/keys/controllers have midi channels.

#666 - 02/17/02 07:33 PM Re: complex midi setup
wadrum Offline

Yes. I use the atari as a midi sequencer because the software is unique. I want the atari to trigger the pc as a slave sequencer; and vice versa. Can this be done with parallel? I am hoping this can all be done with midi. For instance, record a midi track from the keyboard to the atari, then record a track from the keyboard to the pc, then transfer a track from the pc to the atari, vice versa, etc. Will simple in/out midi connections between the 4x4 midiman and any in/out module (computer, controller, sound module)be good enough to shake hands. My assumption is midi is a common thread, that basically all the components in midi setups are exactly the same.
thanks
wadrum

Quote:
Originally posted by WS:
Why do you want to use one for Midi only? What kind of connections do you have...ethernet, parallel...these would connect the PCs if you want to bother. Midi doesn't use much disk space. What kind of midiman do you have? If it is a 4X4 or greater you just make the midi connections and in Cakewalk you set up the MIDI IN/OUT ports. If it is a 1x1 or 2x2 or 1x2 you will have to daisy chain the midi. You won't be able to access more than 16 channels on a 1x1, 1x2 and 32 channels with a 2x2 interface. This limits you if all of your modules/keys/controllers have midi channels.

#667 - 02/18/02 03:37 AM Re: complex midi setup
tekminus Offline

If you want to trigger some software on the PC, it might be possible. To be honest, I've never heard of anyone doing this. It should work in theory.

-tek

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online