SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#65438 - 10/28/03 10:11 AM Band-In-A-Box Styles
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi rikkisbears,

I read that you have BIAB style already converted to KN7000 (or KN6000). I would be very interested in getting some of these if possible. I've used BIAB since it was a DOS program and it would be great to have some of it's styles available on my PR54.

#65439 - 10/29/03 12:44 PM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I did quite a few years back for my kn3000. In those days I was content to just have the 2 variations and that awful drum tap they used to call an intro.
Unfortunately the BIAB styles I've worked on recently are not really complete yet.I do a lot of experimenting to try and work out what does & doesn't work. I've yet to work out how to get 4 distinct variations ( as BIAB really only has 2 (a&b) and even though the program creates a slightly different version each time you regenerate a song, the differences are only slight.
Also the demo songs in BIAB sound good possibly because of the complex chord changes they use, but when I've created a style from that same BIAB style it sounds rather bland and incomplete compared to our kn7 styles.
The intro's & endings still leave a lot to be desired also. At one stage I was hoping to maybe use the soloist function to try and create intro's, but for the time being I've had to put BIAB on hold.

Instead I've been working on the best way to try and convert psr styles. At least they have good intro's & endings.

I'm also still hoping to get a bit of a style group started for the members who are interested in creating their own styles. Just on ideas and which buttons to press etc.
If your Pr actually has seq to style function, there's no reason why you couldn't create your own styles from BIAB. The actual process itself is simple enough. The hard part for me ( mainly because of lack of musical ability) is in the finishing off and making the style sound good.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65440 - 10/30/03 04:29 AM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
shcox Offline

Hi Rikki,

I actually have the same problem musically. I play more by ear and use EZ Note music just to help me remember the cords and some times the notes. I know the letters and I'm working on the staff but I don't know much about timing. I've tried to create my own styles to use in the KN6000 and they always sound bad. But I tend to be a style freak. I love to hear all the different style and I'm always amazed at how good some of them are.

The one wishlist item I'd like to see for the KN and PR series is a Style Loader Program instead of the song manager. But maybe it can be adapted to do that.

Since I switched to the PR it's not connect to my computer like the KN6000 was. I have a PSR500 I use for that. So I have not been about to try the Song Manager.

Best Wishes,
Heather

#65441 - 10/30/03 07:24 AM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
BIAB 4 Variations. Most of the styles, although not all use 5 parts.
Var1 Use Drums,Bass
Var2 Use Drums,Bass,Piano
Var3 Use Drums,Bass,Piano,Guitar
Var4 Use Drums,Bass,Piano,Guitar,Strings.
In Style Edit you can copy & paste parts within the same or different styles.

Graham UK

#65442 - 10/30/03 01:19 PM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Heather,
I can actually read music ( for all the good it does me, haahaa), I really wish I could play by ear ( a bit more). My own fault really, I spend too much time fiddling round working out what the keyboards can do, instead of PRACITICING music.

I'm a style freak too.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shcox:

The one wishlist item I'd like to see for the KN and PR series is a Style Loader Program instead of the song manager.

I don't know what style creation facilities are available on your piano, but the keyboards have quite a few.

I assume you have a composer section, so do you have the following features

EASY COMPOSER,
PATTERN COPY
SEQ TO COMPOSER COPY
they can all be used to help you create either new styles or alter existing styles.

Just not sure what editing facilities your piano has.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65443 - 10/30/03 01:35 PM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Graham.
I could try that. It would give me a bit more variety.
I was also thinking of somehow maybe adding more or changing some of the drums ie try and build up the drum patterns with each variation.
I'll have to study a few of the styles and see if I can work out how to they do it. Drums , I find the hardest to make any sense of, especially in fills. I seem to get the individual volumes all wrong , and I end up with one drum sound drowning out another. Haven't quite got it in head as to what drums should be soft, and which ones should be loud. I suppose it's something I'm going to have try and work out for myself.

Thanks again

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
BIAB 4 Variations. Most of the styles, although not all use 5 parts.
Var1 Use Drums,Bass
Var2 Use Drums,Bass,Piano
Var3 Use Drums,Bass,Piano,Guitar
Var4 Use Drums,Bass,Piano,Guitar,Strings.
In Style Edit you can copy & paste parts within the same or different styles.

Graham UK

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#65444 - 10/30/03 04:37 PM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Heather, if you had just posted your desires a week earlier...............! I was just at the Plantations south of Leesburg looking at homesites and visiting family and friends. I would have brought you some Christmas styles had I but known. I still have 2 zip files of Christmas songs for the KN6K/7K, but they won't transfer to your PR's unless you drop the sequenced file and use the style. Let me know if you want them. Bud

#65445 - 10/31/03 05:52 AM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
shcox Offline

Thanks Graham,

I may sit down and try some of these. I do remember doing it one time for a song I wrote using BIAB. It never sounded right on the KN6000 until I brought over the style then at least I could play it.

So I have to first make sure the PR54 can do that then try to figure out how to do it on the PR.

Heather

#65446 - 10/31/03 06:12 AM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
shcox Offline

Hi Rikki,

I know the PR has EASY COMPOSER and that I can take a style and redo it but usually all I'm doing is changing the instruments and not the pattern.

And I wish I could read music more which is why I've down loaded a music note flash card program to help me memorize the note on the staff instead of using the note Letters.

But even when I play plain piano I play cords with the left hand and not individule notes.

Often I just sit down and start playing and make up (write) a song as I go for finger practice.

What I meant about my wish list was that I have about 35 disks with styles on them. It would be nice to be able to organize them on a computer and just press and load one as you do with the built in styles. As I said the Song Manager may be able to be used for this but right now I need to look for a cheap Laptop with a USB 2 port to put with the PR because the PR in in one room and the computer in another.

If Technics would give out a bit of information about their computer to instrument I'd write my own program since that is what I do.

Best wishes
Heather

#65447 - 10/31/03 06:26 AM Re: Band-In-A-Box Styles
shcox Offline

Hello Bud,

The Plantation is nice we looked there but decided to build at Pennbooke Fairways a little north of Plantation and west of Leesburg. It has a few less homes and the developer will be turning it over to us within a year.

Anyway, I'd love to try the songs just to see if they play since I've found very few songs the were done for the KN6000/7000 that didn't load and play just fine on my PR54. Plus, if I need to I can load the song and then the correct stlye and resave it if needed since I have most of the KN6500 styles of disk.

Just email them unless you are coming back to the area soon.

I'll be in Ohio during Christmas.

Happy Site Hunting.
Heather

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online