SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64762 - 04/18/03 02:01 AM Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

I subscribed to this magazine some years ago, but didn't renew my subs because of the poor quality of the contents. I recently re-subscribed, thinking that things might have improved in the meantime. However, it is still very little value for Technics owners. I have just received the Apr/May issue and the following is a summary:

Pages 4 & 5 "News Update" - not much "news" here. We already know about the "book" and the "video", thank you. As for the "coathanger" music rest bit, this has been kicking around for years!
Pages 6 & 7 Two pages of advertising for Phillips - I hope they paid for this.
Pages 8,9,10 "Sight reading/playing by ear" - mildly interesting, but just a re-hash of stuff I read years ago!
Pages 11 & 12 = another advert!
Pages 13, 14, 15 - oh no, not more "what to do with MIDI files"
Pages 16-19 - "Taking Notes" - of mild interest, but do we need all the pics of various wheels, etc. And just what is the pic on page 18 supposed to be?
Pages 20 & 21 - Do we REALLY need another FIVE pics of Nicholas Martin - yes they fill the pages!!
Pages 22 $ 23 - supposed to be a "full review" of the Frankfurt Musik Messe, but what happened to the text. Does no-one ever proof read this stuff?
Pages 24 & 25 - I don't believe it. Two whole pages on saving to disk - really!!
Pages 26 & 27 - another advert with not one but two pics of the CD case. This item could have been covered in about half a column, not two pages.
Need I go any further. The remaining pages are hardly any better, with stuff which can easily be gleaned from the User's Manual, etc. What do other readers think? Incidentally, I did think of posting this to the Technote forum, but I doubt if it would have been allowed.
Mike O'R
p.s. I DO know something of the subject, having edited a computer magazine for nine years.

#64763 - 04/18/03 05:36 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I really look forward to receiving the Techplus magazine myself. I have been getting it for several years now and plan to renew when my subcription runs out. No complaints here.

Marilyn

#64764 - 04/18/03 08:18 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Mike,

Since you are criticizing the current issue of the "techplus club" magazine from your perspective as a former magazine editor, I would like to offer an opinion in support of the magazine from a different perspective - that of a beginning keyboard player and retired person.

Like Marilyn, I have been a subscriber for a few years now. I have found the magazine to be a source of accurate and useful information that has enabled me to learn how to operate and apply the many features of my KN6000 to my music. I am also a subscriber to Keyboard Player magazine and Organ and Keyboard Cavalcade magazine. Without a doubt (in my opinion), the Technote product is far superior to the others in terms of content and presentation.

Like you, I noted the glitch in the Alec Pagida article summarizing the Frankfurt Music Messe, but that is the first instance in my memory of such a glaring error by the editors. In my view, the error does not detract from the overall quality of the current issue.

Personally, I have no interest in articles detailing the biography of so-called "celebrity" musicians. However, I am well aware that many subscribers want to read about their background and accomplishments, thus the editors cater to that need as well. I just turn the page and read on.

While you may be a computer whiz and keyboard guru, there are those of us who are not. I suspect there are many levels of instruction required to meet the needs of everyone from the raw beginner to the expert, and I believe Technote is trying to meet those needs. Hence, the saving to disk article is for me and others like me even though you obviously do not need such instruction.

A cynical and righteous review of the magazine is hardly constructive and for me, not helpful or appreciated. I like the magazine just as it is. One can always unsubscribe if one is so unhappy with the product.

Chuck

#64765 - 04/18/03 08:52 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
I think the Technote magazine is excellent value. Not all owners of Technics instruments have computers and are therefore unable to access music forums and have no other way of keeping up with what is new etc.

I have subscribed to Technote for quite a few years now and whilst sometimes there is the occasional issue where you might think that there wasn't much that appealed to you, more often than not there is always something there of interest.

For instance I found the Lilian Boucher article on "Playing by Ear" most informative and I am going to give this a go as I rely entirely on having the music before I can play.

I also welcomed the Midi Chapter. This subject is one that I have bypassed till now and reading some background on the principle is interesting in itself.

I figure that if just one article is of use to you then it is worth it. Lets face it the subscription is not exactly exhorbitant, and as a member it entitles you discount on their products. Over time I have contacted the Technote office and have always found the staff is very courteous and that their service is second to none.

Long may Technote continue to issue this magazine.

Joan

#64766 - 04/18/03 09:12 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Mike

It just occurred to me, perhaps if you get in touch with Technote and tell them what you would like to see appear in the magazine they may be able to accommodate you, I am sure they would welcome suggestions from their membership.

Joan

#64767 - 04/18/03 11:36 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
technicsplayer Offline

The two typos in the Franfurt report should have been:

"Another Spring, another Frankfurt Music Messe. As usual there is far too much to possibly report in a small article so I will just run through the main topics.
Yamaha were back in the Forum with their drum mountain, an interesting development was the Motif synthesiser in a rack..."

and the top of column two was:

"The most intriguing was SCV 50 'silent' cello - a stick with strings and a couple of pads sticking out for your knees!"

nowhere do I see any promise of a "full" review, "supposed" or otherwise, merely impressions within the alloted (edited down) space of those products that would be of most interest to the majority of readers. Anyone is free to send in workshops, articles or suggestions...

#64768 - 04/18/03 11:47 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

Check out Page 4. My copy says, under Frankfurt Music Fair, "See Alec Pagida's Frankfurt Review for the FULL story" (my caps). ;>)

#64769 - 04/18/03 12:44 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
technicsplayer Offline

yes, my copy clearly says the full story of new Technics keyboards and digital pianos, which is what you get, not of the whole Music Fair which is what you imply by selective quoting. I'm not even responsible for any of this editorial but just feel you exaggerate too much for effect.

#64770 - 04/18/03 01:08 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All.
Well, well, I suppose we all have the right to criticise, provided that it is constructive. You, Mike, as a teacher and a professional should realise more than anyone that not everyone is as accomplished as yourself and the magazine is a great help in getting the players who are not so confident in handling the modern technology to a least have a go at these things. As for Nick Martin, I have known Nick now for 20 years and consider myself priveleged to be able to call him a friend. I know all the facts that are printed in the articles but I never tire of reading them again and again. Nick is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet and an inspiration to those who here him play at the many concerts he performs both in the U.K. and also the U.S.A.
I'm also sorry to say that if you have been responsible in the past for some of the rubbish that is on our news shelves in the name of computer magazines, then, I'm sorry
but you really have put yourself right in the firing line.
I think,like most of the people who subscribe to Techplus, that it is a quality product which is improving all time. None of us are perfect and probably never will be,....(except me of course)..... but need the encouragement to keep on trying and that is what the magazine does.
Here's wishing you all good constructive reading. no offence meant and I hope none taken.
Peter B

[This message has been edited by peter.bentley@talk21.com (edited 04-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by peter.bentley@talk21.com (edited 04-18-2003).]

#64771 - 04/18/03 01:15 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by peter.bentley@talk21.com:
None of us are perfect and probably never will be,....(except me of course).....

you can't be, Peter... because there can't be two of us

#64772 - 04/18/03 05:14 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Mike;

I have to agree with some of your remarks. A number of years ago I too was a subscriber. Most of the articles then I thought were upbeat , and very interesting. I also use to look forward to the new style disks that they sent out.

Their editor then , I can not remember the gentlemans name left the magazine and shortly after that I felt Techplus went downhill dramatically.

No doubt there are many people that like the magazine and find it informative but for me as it now stands is a waste of money.

Alex

#64773 - 04/18/03 10:45 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike ORegan:
I subscribed to this magazine some years ago, but didn't renew my subs because of the poor quality of the contents. I recently re-subscribed, thinking that things might have improved in the meantime. However, it is still very little value for Technics owners.
p.s. I DO know something of the subject, having edited a computer magazine for nine years.

It takes all sorts, at all levels of intellect, if the Techplus content holds no interest for you then the obvious thing to do is not buy it, I don't think it's perfect but then I've made my own suggestions in the past for articles etc etc. However I recall plenty of instances on Yahoo, Technote and here where you have felt the need to have questions answered ( some basic) to understand how the keyboard worked so maybe the "so called" simplicity of the content you make out is not entirely as clear cut as you say?
I notice you leave out all mention of the step by step workshops which are very popular with many readers.
Incidentally which computer magazine did you edit???

#64774 - 04/19/03 12:41 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

The magazine I edited was a "subscription only" publication, devoted to the Psion range of Organisers. I had some 2000+ subscribers, including Psion and their overseas distributors, from countries throughout the world and most of them stayed with the magazine throughout the 9 years. I published a wide range of material for these little machines and only ceased publication, reluctantly, when the new machines started to build in many of the features we had previously had to "hand program". Some readers may also remember that I later successfully ran a User Group for a range of Yamaha keyboards.

#64775 - 04/19/03 09:22 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
The magazine I edited was a "subscription only" publication, devoted to the Psion range of Organisers. I had some 2000+ subscribers, including Psion and their overseas distributors, from countries throughout the world and most of them stayed with the magazine throughout the 9 years. I published a wide range of material for these little machines and only ceased publication, reluctantly, when the new machines started to build in many of the features we had previously had to "hand program". Some readers may also remember that I later successfully ran a User Group for a range of Yamaha keyboards.

Well I guess there is nothing more to say other than Psion went bust didn’t they.

#64776 - 04/19/03 01:01 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Alec.
I was wondering who the other one was.

p
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
you can't be, Peter... because there can't be two of us

#64777 - 04/19/03 03:57 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

Well I guess there is nothing more to say other than Psion went bust didn’t they.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A cheap shot, Johnnie. Psion invented the Organiser and for many years dominated the market. They have not gone bust, but moved on into other fields. Psion was the first to use touch pads, which are now standard on practically every laptop. Thousands of their Organisers are still in use the world over.

#64778 - 04/20/03 06:45 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Mike do you think that was actually Johnnie C?

"Ghost Writers In The Sky"

#64779 - 04/20/03 08:27 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

[/B][/QUOTE]

A cheap shot, Johnnie. Psion invented the Organiser and for many years dominated the market. They have not gone bust, but moved on into other fields. Psion was the first to use touch pads, which are now standard on practically every laptop. Thousands of their Organisers are still in use the world over.[/B][/QUOTE]
Just about as cheap a shot as your shots against Technote magazine, Mike - you can dish it out but you certainly can't take it?
Of course psion went bust from the organiser market because they were totally wiped out by palm and ce - there are people still using betamax and 8 track, that doesn't prove anything either.
THE MOTHER OF ALL GHOSTS

#64780 - 04/20/03 10:01 AM Re: Techplus Magazine
Mike ORegan Offline

Oh, Johnnie, Oh - "you're not handsome, it's true". However I refuse to swap "pleasantries" with someone determined to argue, while holding the wrong end of the stick! ;>) What's YOUR claim to fame??

#64781 - 04/20/03 12:57 PM Re: Techplus Magazine
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Oh, Johnnie, Oh - "you're not handsome, it's true". However I refuse to swap "pleasantries" with someone determined to argue, while holding the wrong end of the stick! ;>) What's YOUR claim to fame??

Got it in one Mike, you’re absolutely right it is true I am not handsome.
As for my claim to fame.
How about?
Revealing the extent of your publishing expertise!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online