SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6475 - 08/26/06 03:11 PM Yamaha cs80.... are there any left?
nylon oxygen Offline

Loc: ireland
I often do a search on google for this but never got a result. Is this vintage keyboard really forgotten about (apart from Vangelis of course, but theres no use asking him because no-one can ever find him!)

#6476 - 08/26/06 08:21 PM Re: Yamaha cs80.... are there any left?
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
There are a few floating around, usually they can be found in unexpected places. I have a friend who has one, but he's afriad to power it up. I don't blame him, really. I have a cs-70m that is made out of the same stuff. recordings of it that i have heard peg it to be not too far off. Of course, It doesn't work either. One interesting factoid is that the CS-80 was designed here in america, to be built in japan of course
But when yamaha switched to the DX-7 type stuff, they discontinued the maintenence on the old stuff and the Yamaha repair dealers THREW AWAY bucket upon bucket of filter and oscillator chips that make the CS-series so special.
But make no mistake-Yamaha is and has always been in it for the money. They have absolutley no passion when it comes to sound.

#6477 - 08/26/06 09:30 PM Re: Yamaha cs80.... are there any left?
Mark & Rachael Offline

Loc: Merfsea Island, Essex, United ...
Hi,

I'm slightly seasick but still got enough time away from watch to check my mail. Could I suggest the following link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_CS-80

Rachael
'Excalibur' - 1392 n.m. from New York(!)

#6478 - 08/31/06 05:18 PM Re: Yamaha cs80.... are there any left?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
The CS80 was always one of my "dream" synths... In that the reality has been that only in my "dreams" would I ever get one.. then back then because I couldn't afford it, now because they are becoming scarce and even if I did find one, I too would be afraid to turn it on.

So.. I bought the virtual one from Arturia instead. It's supposed to be a fairly close emulation, but as I've never owned or played on one, I can't say for sure. It's as close as I want to get these days, anyway. In my mind at least, the CS80 lives on through it.

From the boards I have owned or have played, some of these software emulations are very close, others not so close at all. An example of almost dead on, is the Korg Legacy collection. I owned both a Polysix and an M1. The software versions are so close that if I closed my eyes I could never tell the difference. The poly 6 in particular kinda gives me the chills, since the hardware version was my first true analog board.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 09-01-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online