SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64573 - 01/29/05 12:25 AM KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Hoping the findings of why my KN7000 suddenly failed may help others.

My KN7000 suddenly crashed whilst loading data from the floppy drive, it would try and reboot, but after a couple of attempts completely crashed with no sign of life except the blue light down by the SD card.

Full credit to the engineer who looked at my KN7000 on the isle of wight. An initialisation of the keyboard brought it back to life but was not the final solution.
Everytime data was loaded from the floppy drive the instrument would crash, however he found that when loading all forms of data except custom styles the keyboard worked fine. A hardware test confirmed everything was working fine including disk drive and memory.

Custom styles would load individually and overwrite every allocation for custom styles except the allocation No 9 which would not overwrite, playing the style in No 9 slot also caused problems to the keyboard.

Not being able to overwrite this style even with an individual blank composer transfer led him to try a complete "clear custom style" sent to me by one of the forum members (Joan) according to the engineer this immediatly cleared the problem.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Kind regards

Peter

#64574 - 01/29/05 01:21 AM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Can you remember what the style was and where it came from? Walter.

#64575 - 01/29/05 01:34 AM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Peter Lowden Offline

Good question walter,

The style was a latin amarican style, as it was not overwritable I presume it could have been there for some time before it caused a problem.

Has anyone loaded custom styles and had the KN7000 crash?

Kind regards

Peter

#64576 - 01/29/05 04:10 AM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Peter,
That's good news about your KN7000 being back in working order Strange fault
I haven't experienced any problems with the Custom Memory : I tend to use it to group together, similar 'user' styles, in banks of up to 20. Then, for a particular song/tune, if I can't find a suitable Built-In style, I can load a bank of Custom styles, choose one suitable for the song/tune and then transfer it to Composer, if the style is to be used in a sequenced recording.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64577 - 01/29/05 04:52 PM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Here's a thought for you.

My Kn7 has crashed on me once and that was after loading a floppy used and saved from the KN6000. As many of you will know that keyboard caused both Technics Customer Services and myself a great deal of problems it was what is known in the UK as "a Friday product". At the time of the crash I was very worried. It then occured to me that maybe the floppy had saved all the faults that were on the KN6000 as well, so I initialised the KN7 back to Factory settings
and everything is back to normal now.

I was very relieved I can tell you and so far, I haven't experienced further problems apart from those I make myself (hope I'm not speaking too soon).

Needless to say, I have now destroyed the offending floppy.

Might this be your problem?

Aud (U.K.)

#64578 - 01/29/05 10:54 PM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Peter Lowden Offline

I think you could have something here.

The floppy I was using at the time of the crash was a disk from a commercial company and i'm almost certain it would have been not software made for the Kn7000 there is also every possibility that it was played and saved on the kn6000.

I had my KN6000 for 18months and it was the most unreliable instrument I ever owned, at least five times whilst playing live the kn6000 locked on boot up and when i re-booted i'd lost all data and had to re-load everything, sold it in the end solely because of this problem, having said that the kn6000 never actually let me down whilst I was playing, and loading from the hard drive any data except Custom styles. (during a performance I never loaded custom styles, just composer registrations and voices etc.

The more I think about what you say the more I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Old corrupt data saved from the KN6000 is more than likely the answer.

I have also deleted the commercial disks content from my PC hard drives. Is there a way to check the details of disk data ie for which Technics keyboard the data on a floppy is designed.

I seem to remember sometime ago being told that you can open a KN file in notepad to give you this info?

All the best

Peter

#64579 - 02/03/05 10:30 PM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
dpeisic Offline

Loc: San Deigo, Ca, USA
Hello Peter,

I was so happy to hear that finally every thing is back in order with the kn700.

One things I would like to clarify:

Regarding the a complete "clear custom style" that was sent to you by one of the forum members, that was mentioned above.

Was it a factory clear custom style disk?

Did the engineer load it like you copy a file from the composer to the custom?

Did the "clear custom style" clear all the custom ( 20 ) at once or only one particular custom style at the time?

Thanks for sharing these valuable info.

w/r
Doron Peisic

#64580 - 02/03/05 10:49 PM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi Doron,

Many thanks for your concerns, i'm also very pleased my KN7000 is back up and running, i'm only too pleased that the fault was software and not hardware otherwise it could have been a very costly experience!.

Unfortunately clearing a composer memory and copying the blank data to the problem custom area (No 9) would not clear the problem nor would trying to overwrite the area.

The clear custom style was loaded via the floppy drive.

Hope the above helps you although i'll keep my fingers crossed you never need the above info, or have you already experienced problems?

Kind regards

Peter

#64581 - 02/03/05 11:59 PM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Peter.
Just one final thought. Could you have used a floppie that was already contaminated with a virus? This happened to me once when I downloaded a program from the internet to floppie and although I cleared the program from the floppie for re-use it didn't get rid of the virus. Fortunately I never used it in the keyboard.
Regards
Peter B

#64582 - 02/04/05 12:11 AM Re: KN7000 Failure (conclusion)
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
The virus would not "attack" the keyboard.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online