SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64340 - 05/20/02 12:50 PM SMF s
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Just obtained my first SMF files and am amazed at the quality. One is of Bill Evans by Roland and the other a collection of BIG Band pieces (Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller) by Labyrinth. The arrangements sound so authentic which makes me wonder if these are audio recordings converted by computer to midi data, or are programmed note by note by some whizz kid programmer, which seems to me to be impossible when considering all the nuances etc of the music.

Can anyone answer this one please?

Peter

#64341 - 05/20/02 02:04 PM Re: SMF s
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Peter, You said ...'which makes me wonder if these are audio recordings converted by computer to midi data'... This is not really an option. I know of no software which is capable of faithfully converting a complex audio file into a MIDI file. If enough time and effort is put into compiling a midi file, with something like cubase or other editing programs, then it is surprising what can be done.
I've got a couple of really great files, suitable for KN6000 which demonstrate just what can be done. I believe they were originally MIDI files but converted to KN format. If you would like a copy, email me
------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 05-20-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64342 - 05/20/02 05:47 PM Re: SMF s
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Hi
I wondered if you could tell me how to conver a midi file into technics format
I do not yet fully understand the techology
yet
many thanks
jan

#64343 - 05/21/02 01:30 PM Re: SMF s
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Jan, There is a splendid description of just how to do this in Alec's Book. If you haven't got a copy yet, it is worth it's weight in gold - highly recommended !

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64344 - 05/22/02 03:00 AM Re: SMF s
technicsplayer Offline

thanks, Bill.
the reason the good midis sound so good is simple... skill and musicianship!

#64345 - 05/22/02 07:29 AM Re: SMF s
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
thanks, Bill.
the reason the good midis sound so good is simple... skill and musicianship!

AND
quality of soundcard
Bebop

#64346 - 05/22/02 05:44 PM Re: SMF s
technicsplayer Offline

no, what I am talking about has nothing at all to do with the soundcard.

that is like saying a great performance becomes less great as a performance when you listen on a car stereo rather than a top quality hi fi. The quality of performance transcends the means of delivery.

besides, who listens to midis through the soundblaster compatible supplied with most run of the mill computers if you have a KN available?

#64347 - 05/22/02 09:09 PM Re: SMF s
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It is most likely that these MIDI were files were MIDI recorded realtime by someone who has a great feel for the music and can really play. That is how the best MIDI files are created, not by note by note programming.

#64348 - 05/23/02 01:49 AM Re: SMF s
technicsplayer Offline

precisely what I'm talking about... it is possible that the results can be helped substantially by using midi guitar or breath controller, giving playing envelopes very difficult if not impossible to achieve via keyboard input, no matter how much post production has been applied. But these would require just as much playing skill.

Nevertheless I am constantly amazed at some of the results of the best of my collection, especially given the limitations of controller functions in GM1 spec. To be able to produce results like these without pattern generators and quantisation shows real musicianship.

#64349 - 05/23/02 10:22 AM Re: SMF s
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks to all for plugging another gap in my knowledge zone. Entirely agree with you Alec, many of these files are incredibly good.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online