SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#64296 - 03/10/00 08:04 AM KN5000 Tilt up Display Screen Panel: Button Problems
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
My KN5000 keyboard is almost two years old.

I have recently begun to experience an erratic problem (loose connection?) which occurs with two of the buttons on my KN5000's "tilt up display panel". All other buttons on the display panel seem to be working fine.

The two buttons are:

1) Middle button along the left side of the screen
2) Top button along the right side of the screen

When either of these buttons are pressed to select a "song style", "sound patch" or any other LCD display parameter which is currently associated with these specific buttons, the buttons do not work. If I then move the Ôtilt up display panelÕ up and down a few times and try pressing either of these buttons again, the buttons work again (for a while).

Thus, I think there is possibly a loose cable connection between the "tilt up display panel" and the keyboard which is affecting these two specific buttons.

Even though these two buttons seem unrelated to each other, they both seem to "function" and then "not function" at the same time.
I am planning to take my keyboard in for repair but want to get feedback from others to find out if there is any history of this problem. All feedback and comments are greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a specific authorized Technics keyboard repair facility in my area (San Francsico, California, USA)?

Thanks,

Scott

#64297 - 03/10/00 09:44 AM Re: KN5000 Tilt up Display Screen Panel: Button Problems
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Hi Scott
Sorry to hear about your button problem. Good luck with getting it repaired. I hope Technics repair service has improved since I last attempted it. A few years ago I called Technics to repair my EX30L organ. They told me to bring it into their center (I think it was in South San Francisco). They also said the "minimum" charge would be $125 whether they did anythin or not. Of course, if they actually did fix something - it would cost more. Oh, and uh, they would try to get it done in 4 to6 weeks!
It would be interesting to hear about your experience with Technics repair. We all talk about where to buy, but it's nice to know what to expect if something goes wrong. Good luck & take care...
Tom

#64298 - 03/10/00 12:23 PM Re: KN5000 Tilt up Display Screen Panel: Button Problems
Tony Cotton Offline

Loc: UK
Hello Scott,

A friend of mine had a similar problem on her KN5000 and had to return it to the dealer for repair.

You are correct in that the action of lifting and lowering the display over a period of time affected the connections between the display and the main body of the KN5000.

It was repaired free of charge but may have been within the warranty period.

Hope you get it fixed soon as the only likely result is for it to get worse!!!

Best wishes from "middle" England.

Tony Cotton

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online