SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64119 - 04/27/02 01:15 AM XP
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Anyone thinking about 'Upgrading' to Windows XP would be well advised to read the topics at this site http://www.arachnoid.com/boycott/index.html

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#64120 - 04/27/02 03:25 AM Re: XP
Lindoz Offline

Loc: Torshalla, Sweden
Bill
I had the XP installed now since October-01. I found it very useful. I have read on the site as you wish, and of course there is some truth in it, but also some describes in black. However I donīt find any big differenses in the XP compare with the older Windows softwares.
But itīs no harm to have an eye on this.
Lindoz

#64121 - 04/27/02 04:18 AM Re: XP
technicsplayer Offline

I like to agree with anything that does microsoft down

However, in fairness, I must say that I am v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-ly (v--e--r--y s--l--o--w--l--y) warming to XP.

For someone buying a new computer it is worthwhile, providing all your peripherals have suitable drivers - a situation which is slowly improving.

However I still hate the deliberate policy of making hardware even a year or so old obsolete by changing kernels in a totally illogical and anti-competitive manner to force people to buy new hardware that is not really needed for their ordinary needs.

If you have a stable system and never have blue screens of death there is no point, because much of the functionality of XP is available in existing programs anyway, and microsoft seem just to copy other peoples good ideas, and put them in the next windows version, only not done as good, and with bugs... I can't really think of anything I NEED XP for, that I could not already do (with stability) on the other machines.

I am waiting to upgrade to a copy of Professional Corporate because this does not have the re-activication feature. XP home and professional need re-activication, but there are plenty of workarounds to avoid having to do this.

The reactivation feature was obviously intended as a spyware to log all the applications on your pc, until the publicity and courts made them water it down. I suppose with the current situation microsoft will get away with it for a few more years, a depressing though considering all the monopoly power they hold.

The only advantage of windows is standardisation... but the operating system company should be split from the software application company, otherwise they can stifle competition and just steal ideas by running smaller companies out of business... not good for the economy or the consumer.

You can assign pan to the sound controller ball, and swish your voices from left to right and back again as you play... never call me off topic on a keyboard forum... !!!

#64122 - 04/27/02 07:39 AM Re: XP
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
Even though I know very little about software, I have tried XP and did not like it very much, so I am sticking with 98
.However the article you showed us was really quite scary, the invasion of privacy and the regulations of use seem to me to be
a bit like George Orwell's 1984 (big brother is watching you)
use your computer if you dare!
Better not put my real name.
Keep a look out !
kozykeys.

#64123 - 04/27/02 09:53 AM Re: XP
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I have been using PC's since the Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 hit the shops around 1979. Bought a Commodore 128, then upgraded to a 284, 486 and now have a Pentium II. Electronics was my vocation during my working years. I studied computer programming in college as a pasttime. I say all of this to illustrate that I do have some experience with computers, so you know where I am coming from. It has been my experience that staying with a proven, reliable, stable operating system is always the best policy. I waited years after Windows 95 and 98 hit the streets before installing 98. I wanted the bugs worked out of those OS's before I upgraded. It is a personal policy that has served me well. My friends who always have to have the latest and greatest were and are continually battling problems, crashes etc. Windows 98 will do just about anything any computer user requires. I will stay with 98 long after 2000, ME, and XP have been superseded by the next Microsoft whiz bang OS. I don't need any of Microsoft's new bells and whistles and I don't like the company's business principles or its intrusive practices. Windows 98 may well be my final OS. That is my opinion for what it is worth (and that is probably no more than the price of a cup of coffee).

Chuck

#64124 - 04/27/02 11:56 AM Re: XP
rmcouat Offline

Loc: Vancouver BC Canada
I currently work in the business and can observe the following with 5 computers at home for various purposes. I have settled on Win 2000 Pro currently as the best compromise - with active kids and their games being installed and de-installed Win98 became a basket case about once every 8-10 months (3-5 reboots/day to keep it running) It a lot of work to put everything back on a machine after a re-install. A recovery from backup won't work because the failures are often registry related or deadly mixes of DLLs from program installations. If you are not as actively installing and mixing products then Win98 may last you for a lot longer time than it does for me. I have machines that stay up a month at a time now after a year of service on Win2000. Sorry to be off topic but just wanted to share my experience because I am sure a significant fragment of the forum base also use computers :-)

#64125 - 04/27/02 12:38 PM Re: XP
technicsplayer Offline

I use either Go-Back for smaller install try outs, or Norton Ghost image for more serious deliberate trashing of an operating system. They are the best programs I have found for avoiding having to reinstall windows.

#64126 - 04/27/02 12:51 PM Re: XP
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Piper:
I have been using PC's since the Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 hit the shops around 1979. Bought a Commodore 128, then upgraded to a 284, 486 and now have a Pentium II. Electronics was my vocation during my working years. I studied computer programming in college as a pasttime. I say all of this to illustrate that I do have some experience with computers, so you know where I am coming from. It has been my experience that staying with a proven, reliable, stable operating system is always the best policy. I waited years after Windows 95 and 98 hit the streets before installing 98. I wanted the bugs worked out of those OS's before I upgraded. It is a personal policy that has served me well. My friends who always have to have the latest and greatest were and are continually battling problems, crashes etc. Windows 98 will do just about anything any computer user requires. I will stay with 98 long after 2000, ME, and XP have been superseded by the next Microsoft whiz bang OS. I don't need any of Microsoft's new bells and whistles and I don't like the company's business principles or its intrusive practices. Windows 98 may well be my final OS. That is my opinion for what it is worth (and that is probably no more than the price of a cup of coffee).

Chuck

Operating Systems are like fine wine. Get better with age. Most of the bugs are out of 98.

If Gates was interested in quality instead of profit, we would have better Operating Systems.

Fran in Florida

#64127 - 04/27/02 01:09 PM Re: XP
Mike Harrison Offline

Loc: Oxford U.K.
I changed over to XP 5 weeks ago and someone wished me luck as I would need it, how right they were,I have XP Professional and thought my problems would be over, that was not to be ,I have had to buy a new Graphics card, my printer is still not working properly, and a few of my old programs will not run.It ran like a dream the first 2 wks and thought everything was fine,then would not bootup it got so screwed up I could not get into Windows to run system restore,had to format and start again, my stress levels were going through the roof, am now up and running a little bit wiser,everything is stable and I have now done a drive Image that I can load even If I cannot get into Windows, I now feel a bit safer from crashes, It does have some good points, just cant find them.
Mike

#64128 - 04/27/02 01:35 PM Re: XP
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
I was getting along just fine with WinME and switched over to XP mainly because Best Buy gave me $400 of rebates and goodies to buy a $200 program. It worked just fine until I installed a firewall, not knowing there was already a firewall in XP. Boy, you talk about a lockup! Of course, Microsoft didn't bother to tell early users that ME had to have a small upgrade to utilize System Restore, so I also lost everything because I couldn't get control. Now I make sure to have backups of backups. Complain we will, but we still don't want to give up our computers. Has anyone tried Linux?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online