SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#63964 - 07/14/05 09:49 AM It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I'll bet I caught a lot of people's attention with that!

This is what is being said on a Tyros forum.

Here is the quote and a link.

"From trustworthy resources I have heard that a lot of KN7000 technology is incorporated in the new Tyros 2 which will be released Q3."
http://www.svpworld.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6019&PN=1

This could be interesting if this is the case.

Best
Scott Langholff http://www.ScottLMusic.com

#63965 - 07/14/05 10:58 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Don't see that the time scale allows it. See http://tyros2.net/index.php/316262 Walter.

#63966 - 07/14/05 11:07 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Technics were using PCM sampling and they took this dated technology about as far as it could go. PCM sampling is the last thing we would want in a new model keyboard.

#63967 - 07/14/05 12:29 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.

I did not see anything on that list about PCM voices. What I did see was Mega-Voices and being able to load your own stereo samples. I don't think the KN7000 allowed one to load samples did it? I have not heard anything with better voices than the current guitar Mega-voices. Adding the other Mega-voices with super-articulation ought to be stunning.

But, then again, is what we are seeing on this specs list the actual and final version? Wait and see, I would guess.

Best
Scott

#63968 - 07/14/05 03:13 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Technics were using PCM sampling and they took this dated technology about as far as it could go. PCM sampling is the last thing we would want in a new model keyboard.

Guess what? both tyros and tyros 2 contain... err... PCM samples.

There is absolutely nothing new in multisamples, Technics used them years before the KN7000. The tyros trick was just to trigger them from commands programmed into certain preset styles rather than from velocity or key layering. Tyros 2 takes this a step further with auto velocity and other triggering to enable live mega voice play.

ALL products, whether they are arrangers or synths, that use sample and synthesis, are PCM. That means KN or G70, or PA1X, or tyros, or General Music, or Ketron, or Casio..... all use samples, all use the same technology as PCM. The difference is Technics was using it for years when Yamaha was still playing with FM

#63969 - 07/14/05 11:54 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

technicsplayer.Guess what? both tyros and tyros 2 contain... err... PCM samples.

If your statement above is true, then I stand to be corrected.
I have possibly been misinformed that Technics were using dated technology within their sampling.

#63970 - 07/15/05 03:26 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
technicsplayer Offline

AWM is just a marketing puff to try and persuade that it may be somehow fundamentally different from PCM, it isn't. Technics introduced the first mass market PCM digital piano in 1986. For a time yamaha used sampled transients and fm envelopes to save on memory costs in the early days. Memory was expensive so all manufacturers have their proprietary methods of compressing the pcm wave to save on chip costs, and this also involves deciding where to divide up the quality... more on grand piano, or strings, or sax, whether stereo or mono, downsizing the bit rate or the sampling frequency etc, depending on their view of what their market wants in the sounds at that price point. But the object of the compression is to save money and the intended result is to restructure the pcm wave as close to the original recording as possible and thus keep its quality.
But the sounds remain all pcm - the same way that compact disks are recorded.

#63971 - 07/15/05 11:28 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
When I visited the Keyboard Cavalcade Music Festival at Caister (England) last April, I listened to the Yamaha latest piano being demonstrated and it was like listening to My Technics PR900 piano. Not only that, but when the lid of the piano is raised all the buttons, lights etc., are embedded in it - just like the KN7000.

I then went on to the Korg stand for a PAX1 keyboard demonstration (some of you may remember I've already mentioned this on earlier postings) and again, the similarities were so great I actually questioned the demonstrators as to whether Technics programmes were now being used in other manufacturers instruments and the reply I received was "it is possible as of course the Programmers are now at liberty to sell their ideas on" - I took it to be a "yes" answer.

One of our Keyboard Club members has a close association with the Yamaha personnel and he seems to think that the Tyros 2 has used some of Technics ideas which will make it more "User Friendly" on par with the KN7000.
He also said he has it on good authority that it will be in the English music shops by December of this year -in time for Christmas no doubt.

Although I will have a look at it when it's available, I have so many Technics floppies, SDs and accessories that it will be a long time before I change my KN7000. I have been playing since my feet couldn't reach the ground when sitting on the piano stool and I can honestly say, the KN7000 is the best instrument I've ever had and I was devastated when I heard the that Technics were to give up as I thought they would make a fortune out of it but sadly it was not to be. However, I still think that Technics have made the biggest mistake of all time.

Aud (U.K.)

#63972 - 07/16/05 02:01 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I know that some of the ex-Technics staff are now working for Korg..........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#63973 - 07/16/05 03:42 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

Having worked in the British Hi-Fi Manufacturing most of my working life, we always purchased competitors models to compare with ours. The keyboard industry is no different and new Ideas and facilities are generated by seeing what other designers have achieved in this way. This is good healthy competition and we the customers benefit.

#63974 - 07/16/05 11:26 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.

I was working for a Roland dealer last year and I know that some people from Technics are now with Roland.

Scott

#63975 - 07/16/05 01:01 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
So the new model which can beat the KN7000 will be presented as a 'yamakorgrolanics'
Cees

#63976 - 07/16/05 05:08 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
It feels good to be a KN7000 owner.

#63977 - 07/18/05 09:35 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Kenneth Gundersen Offline

Loc: Lyngdal in Norway

#63978 - 07/19/05 04:24 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Bill Norrie Offline

Any keyboard produced in the future, will have to be something really special, to convince me to part with my KN7000

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#63979 - 07/19/05 10:43 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
[B]Any keyboard produced in the future, will have to be something really special, to convince me to part with my KN7000

Willum, What troubles me is the fact that technology does become outdated---and the excitement of a new keyboard with another learning curve is going to be missed.
I to have had a love relationship with Technics keyboards, the Kn2000, Kn6500 and the Kn7000 bought a great deal of excitement and pleasure.

My feelings, John C.

PS,I now have my second Tyros, I sold the first one because it did not compare to my KN7000. I very much like you know quility, and I know what I wish to hear, I am hoping something comes in the future to fill these need/desire.

#63980 - 07/19/05 11:55 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi All.
My own personal opinion for what it's worth is that the Technics musical instruments had gone as far as it was possible with their sound technology, sd memory, picture integration etc.etc.etc.The only thing that they could inprove on would be the vocal harmony section and if that is what is wanted then it would be just as well to buy a dedicated unit to add on to it. The sounds produced by the KN7000 and heard by the majority of the general listening untrained musical ear of the public at a gig or performance, are not generally interested anyway as long you entertain them. Several times over the last few years the comment has been made as to how much further can keyboard technology go. I think that technics have seen they have taken that technology almost to it's ultimate and in doing so have killed the future market and more importantly to them: FUTURE PROFITABILITY. I have listened all the new keyboards : Korg Roland Yamaha and can honestly state that none of them are any better than the one I have got : the KN7000 : But as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards to all
PeterB

[This message has been edited by peter.bentley@talk21.com (edited 07-19-2005).]

#63981 - 07/19/05 04:16 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Audrey Turner Offline

I almost completely agree with you Peter - almost!

The next thing I was hoping Technics would do was to incorporate a portable hard drive, preferably a 'plug'in' type, not too large and not too heavy making it easy to transport.

However, if a recent email I received is correct in that Sandisk have, or, are going to market an SD Card with a built-in card reader at a possible 2GBs, this might well do the trick for me. We shall have to wait and see!

Aud (U.K.)

#63982 - 07/20/05 01:54 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Quote:
preferably a 'plug'in' type, not too large and not too heavy making it easy to transport.

The sd card (1 mg) will do I tink??

[QUOTE]However, if a recent email I received is correct in that Sandisk have, or, are going to market an SD Card with a built-in card reader at a possible 2GBs, this might well do the trick for me. We shall have to wait and see!

Here in the Netherlands already on the market but a little expensive at the moment.
rgd.
Willem

[/B]

#63983 - 07/20/05 02:27 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Audrey,

I'm a bit puzzled
Why would you want to have an external hard disc drive when the 2GB SD Cards you mention, are now available in UK - some example links below. At present, the prices are a bit high - over £100 but even the 1GB card prices are falling. You can buy a 1GB SD Card for less than £50 including VAT
Surely a postage stamp size device, capable of holding such a large amount of KN data, is much more convenient than a portable hard drive
You will be very hard pushed to fill a 2GB card unless of course you wish to save many MP3 files on the card.
Just curious...........
http://www.digiprintuk.com/index.php?cPath=1_16
http://www.cameras2u.com/products/details.cfm?PRODUCT=SDSDH%2D2048%2D902&refer=prr
http://www.digitalera.co.uk/?cat=122
http://www.blueunplugged.com/Products/SanDisk_SD_Cards.aspx

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#63984 - 07/20/05 08:19 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiay Bill
I suppose the next step once all aural needs are stored with capacity to spare is to consider visual and nasal delights...
Rog
p.s. oops forgot taste and touch, and what about the sixth sense, eh.

#63985 - 07/21/05 02:25 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi Bill,

I think Audri means something different.
At the moment on the market is a I don't know how the mention it, but it is something from Scandisk what looks like a portable harddisk/ cardreader. with already inbuild cards. I don't see the purpose to buy it for a keyboarder. It's rather expensive and with a cardreader and the possibility of the KN7000 to read sd cards it's a waste of money.
For people who make a lot of pictures or digital films on the road, or who want to take a lot of mp3 with him maybe that thing is a good investment.
rgds.
Willem

#63986 - 07/21/05 09:41 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Bill.
I must admit to being a little puzzled why the need for a hard drive. I myself prefer a selection of sizes of SD cards. I find them easier to handle.
Regards
Peter B

#63987 - 07/21/05 12:00 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Personally, the extra I would like to see is a CD burner built in so I can do everything at one sitting, without having to connect to a computer or burner.

#63988 - 07/23/05 09:33 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Anonymous
Unregistered

HI BUD.
I WOULD CERTAINLY AGREE WITH THAT.
PETER B : : :

#63989 - 07/23/05 03:29 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Audrey Turner Offline

Bud - did you know that Korg are offering the CD facility for one of their PAX range as an 'optional extra' and as I said I've heard the PAX1 demonstrated and if I do have to change, that'll be the first keyboard I'll go for as it has so many similar features to the KN plus I liked the fact you can overlay as many instruments as you like and if this is done in the "piano" mode (all instruments all over the keyboard) it sounds like a full orchestra the likes of which have to be heard to be believed. Also, a majority of the time, it is just a matter of pressing a button, after a small initial 'tweaking' you just press a button - what you see is what you get!

With regard to the hard drive, I was thinking in terms of our Keyboard Club which is all about sharing thoughts and ideas on improving ourselves. I know we can read etc., but there is nothing like seeing everything illustrated/demonstrated in full is there?

Aud (U.K.)

#63990 - 07/23/05 03:38 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Audrey Turner Offline

Yes Bill, I know there are large SD cards out there but I've been told that generally speaking, you cannot save any more than the 99 folders so there is little point in buying the larger cards, but thinking about it at the moment, there is little point in me buying Sandisks SD card with the built-in reader either. Technology is moving so fast, it is getting to be a case of "can't see wood for trees" if you get my meaning!

Aud (U.K.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online