SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#63964 - 07/14/05 09:49 AM It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I'll bet I caught a lot of people's attention with that!

This is what is being said on a Tyros forum.

Here is the quote and a link.

"From trustworthy resources I have heard that a lot of KN7000 technology is incorporated in the new Tyros 2 which will be released Q3."
http://www.svpworld.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6019&PN=1

This could be interesting if this is the case.

Best
Scott Langholff http://www.ScottLMusic.com

#63965 - 07/14/05 10:58 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Don't see that the time scale allows it. See http://tyros2.net/index.php/316262 Walter.

#63966 - 07/14/05 11:07 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Technics were using PCM sampling and they took this dated technology about as far as it could go. PCM sampling is the last thing we would want in a new model keyboard.

#63967 - 07/14/05 12:29 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I did not see anything on that list about PCM voices. What I did see was Mega-Voices and being able to load your own stereo samples. I don't think the KN7000 allowed one to load samples did it? I have not heard anything with better voices than the current guitar Mega-voices. Adding the other Mega-voices with super-articulation ought to be stunning.

But, then again, is what we are seeing on this specs list the actual and final version? Wait and see, I would guess.

Best
Scott

#63968 - 07/14/05 03:13 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Technics were using PCM sampling and they took this dated technology about as far as it could go. PCM sampling is the last thing we would want in a new model keyboard.

Guess what? both tyros and tyros 2 contain... err... PCM samples.

There is absolutely nothing new in multisamples, Technics used them years before the KN7000. The tyros trick was just to trigger them from commands programmed into certain preset styles rather than from velocity or key layering. Tyros 2 takes this a step further with auto velocity and other triggering to enable live mega voice play.

ALL products, whether they are arrangers or synths, that use sample and synthesis, are PCM. That means KN or G70, or PA1X, or tyros, or General Music, or Ketron, or Casio..... all use samples, all use the same technology as PCM. The difference is Technics was using it for years when Yamaha was still playing with FM

#63969 - 07/14/05 11:54 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

technicsplayer.Guess what? both tyros and tyros 2 contain... err... PCM samples.

If your statement above is true, then I stand to be corrected.
I have possibly been misinformed that Technics were using dated technology within their sampling.

#63970 - 07/15/05 03:26 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
technicsplayer Offline

AWM is just a marketing puff to try and persuade that it may be somehow fundamentally different from PCM, it isn't. Technics introduced the first mass market PCM digital piano in 1986. For a time yamaha used sampled transients and fm envelopes to save on memory costs in the early days. Memory was expensive so all manufacturers have their proprietary methods of compressing the pcm wave to save on chip costs, and this also involves deciding where to divide up the quality... more on grand piano, or strings, or sax, whether stereo or mono, downsizing the bit rate or the sampling frequency etc, depending on their view of what their market wants in the sounds at that price point. But the object of the compression is to save money and the intended result is to restructure the pcm wave as close to the original recording as possible and thus keep its quality.
But the sounds remain all pcm - the same way that compact disks are recorded.

#63971 - 07/15/05 11:28 PM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
When I visited the Keyboard Cavalcade Music Festival at Caister (England) last April, I listened to the Yamaha latest piano being demonstrated and it was like listening to My Technics PR900 piano. Not only that, but when the lid of the piano is raised all the buttons, lights etc., are embedded in it - just like the KN7000.

I then went on to the Korg stand for a PAX1 keyboard demonstration (some of you may remember I've already mentioned this on earlier postings) and again, the similarities were so great I actually questioned the demonstrators as to whether Technics programmes were now being used in other manufacturers instruments and the reply I received was "it is possible as of course the Programmers are now at liberty to sell their ideas on" - I took it to be a "yes" answer.

One of our Keyboard Club members has a close association with the Yamaha personnel and he seems to think that the Tyros 2 has used some of Technics ideas which will make it more "User Friendly" on par with the KN7000.
He also said he has it on good authority that it will be in the English music shops by December of this year -in time for Christmas no doubt.

Although I will have a look at it when it's available, I have so many Technics floppies, SDs and accessories that it will be a long time before I change my KN7000. I have been playing since my feet couldn't reach the ground when sitting on the piano stool and I can honestly say, the KN7000 is the best instrument I've ever had and I was devastated when I heard the that Technics were to give up as I thought they would make a fortune out of it but sadly it was not to be. However, I still think that Technics have made the biggest mistake of all time.

Aud (U.K.)

#63972 - 07/16/05 02:01 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I know that some of the ex-Technics staff are now working for Korg..........

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#63973 - 07/16/05 03:42 AM Re: It is said that a lot of KN7000 technology will be used in the new Tyros.
Graham UK Offline

Having worked in the British Hi-Fi Manufacturing most of my working life, we always purchased competitors models to compare with ours. The keyboard industry is no different and new Ideas and facilities are generated by seeing what other designers have achieved in this way. This is good healthy competition and we the customers benefit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online