SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63406 - 04/10/05 02:51 PM Composer: KN7000
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi everyone:

I want to be able to combine Fill-in 1 and Fill-in 2 as one Fill-in. I know I can press the fill-in 2 right after fill-in 1. But like to have a two measure fill-in that combines 2 separate fill-in's together. Does anyone have any ideas?

I know of two ways to do this, but it's very tedious and like to know if there's a 3rd way.

Method 1:
Have paper and pencil, load/open fill-in 2 in composer step record, and write down for every part the information stored in the asterisk. When done, load/open fill-in 1, insert a blank measure and then enter the information for every part from what you wrote using Step record. Save this as fill-in 1 when done. I haven't done it this way, but possible, which is very, very tedious work...

Method 2:
Have the two fill-in's ready, and start easy record. Use Chord C, and play fill-in 1 then fill-in 2 back to back, stop easy record. What were doing here is recording the two fill-ins. Convert the APC part to sequencer tracks using "APC To SMF Convert". Go to Composer and use Seq to Composer choosing the correct two measures. Save this as fill-in 1 when done.

Method 3 anyone:
?

Anthony

#63407 - 04/10/05 04:56 PM Re: Composer: KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Anthony, I'm sure I've done this in the past - I'll have a play around tomorrow - it's nearly 1am here - I'll get back to you.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#63408 - 04/11/05 04:55 AM Re: Composer: KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Anthony,
I spent some time this morning trying to achieve a third solution to your problem, using the facilities within the KN7000 Composer editor, but have not come up with anything. As I said previously, I was sure that I had achieved this effect, so I looked back through some of my sequences and found a recording where I had Fill-In 1 and Fill-In 2 apparently sounding as a single item. However, on closer examination, I found that they were not actually a 'single' Fill-In, but separate events in the sequence
I changed the length of Fill-In 1 and Fill-In 2, to two bars and then copied the first bar of Fill-In 2 to the second bar of Fill-In 2. Then I deleted the content of bar 1 of Fill-In 2, leaving the first bar blank. So, Fill-In 1 now consisted of the first bar with the original data, followed by a blank bar and Fill-In 2 had it's first bar blank and second bar with it's original data. However, when Fill-In 2 is copied over to Fill-In 1, Fill_in 2 just completely overwrites all the data in Fill-In 1. What is needed is a 'Merge' facility, rather than a 'Copy' facility.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to be possible to copy over individual bars of a Composer part to another part within the same Composer pattern - it's only possible to copy over the entire group of bars, for any single component, within the Composer pattern. So whilst it is possible to say copy (ie overwrite) Fill-In 1 to Fill-In2, or even copy a Fill-In, or Intro/Ending to a Pattern, I can't see a way to copy individual bars from one component to another.
Your two methods certainly work OK and would appear to be the only solutions - unless of course someone else knows a different approach ?? (Are you listening Alec??)

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#63409 - 04/11/05 08:14 AM Re: Composer: KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

obviously you do it in the sequencer in a few button presses, that's what the editing suite is there for.

However if you want to know if there is a third solution using just the composer, the answer is yes.

Copy fill 1 to variation 1, increase to 2 measures and erase the second measure. Copy fill 2 to variation 2, increase to 2 measures, and erase the first measure. Copy the bass from variation 1 to accomp 5 of variation 2. Then copy measure 1 of accomp 5 in variation 2 to measure 1 of bass in variation 2. You now have in the bass of variation 2 the combined basses of fill 1 and fill 2 as you wished. Repeat for accomp 1, 2, 3 and 4. Drum 2 is usually empty so copy drum 1 of variation 1 to drum 2 of variation 2, then copy the first measure of drum 2 of variation 2 into the first measure of drum 1 of variation 2. Clear accomp 5 and drum 2, the combined fills will now be substantially complete and quite useable since drum 2 and accomp 5 are the rarely used tracks, particularly so in fills. Now copy variation 2 into the fill position of your choice.

If the drum 2 and accomp 5 tracks are used and you wish completeness you can copy an original to them but will have to finish the missing measure yourself with a quick realtime play (or step if you prefer) which will be easiest in these tracks anyway generally and you can choose the harder measure to copy and therefore the easier measure to complete.

That's why you use the sequencer!

#63410 - 04/11/05 08:41 PM Re: Composer: KN7000
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Bill:
Thanks for taking a stab at this. By your explaination you really took some time in finding a 3rd method. A BIG THANK YOU!
I too tried various ways using the Composer to do this, but just couldn't find the right combination.

Hi Alec:
Thank You for finding method #3 using the Composer. I will try it, but looking at the 3 methods, #2 looks like the one to use, having fewer button presses. You did solve my curiosity if the Composer can be used. Again Thank You!

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 04-11-2005).]

#63411 - 04/12/05 03:43 AM Re: Composer: KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

you're welcome

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online